Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:33:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMost Moving Game
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Most Moving Game  (Read 25765 times)
ignaciobalbuena
Level 0

Score!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2011, 08:04:08 AM »

I agree with J-Snake, I actually cried when completing Metal Gear Solid for PSX the first time, after the sniper level with the wolf lady.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »

Deadly Premonition made me cry the first time I beat it... such a satisfying yet mysterious ending. Also, possibley the best game ever made came to an end. Sad

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »

Immortal Defense(The part where your teacher/mentor double crosses you and causes Earth to be destroyed)
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2011, 12:29:39 AM »

Does "moving" mean sad? Or just something that invokes a strong emotional reaction?

Or are you asking which game gives you the most heart-aching case of nostalgia?

Or what?
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »

The Phoenix Wright games were moving in an entirely different way. They were moving to the point of "oh gawd I gotta put this guy in jail RIGHT NOW" as opposed to moving you to tears or anger or something else. The game puts you in Phoenix's shoes, but, as you play more, you begin to feel the way he does. Also, Dahlia Hawthorne is pretty much the scariest character I have ever seen.
Totally agrees with this! I remember being all in tears at the end of the third Phoenix Wright game. Just wanted to call all my friends and tell them how much I liked them. Had a pretty high fever at that moment though, so I guess that might have contributed some.

Another recent game I found pretty moving was To The Moon. Having to remove John and Rivers relationship completely from johns memory efter having traveled through it all felt really emotional to me. I think it kinda touched me the same way as Phoenix Wright did.

Shadow of the Collosus was really moving for me until the end, which I think butchered everything a bit.
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2011, 07:08:22 PM »

Another "moving" bit of Phoenix Wright is that it makes me paranoid.  Shocked

After I play it, I start to think every single person around me is actually a criminal mastermind trying to kill me. I think that says something about how great (ie convincing) the game's writing is.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »

Pole Position. Everything's moving so fast, it'll bring you to tears.
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2011, 11:27:33 PM »

Terranigma. In pretty much all games you go through a LOT of stuff. Relationship drama, battles, dilemmas etc. But for me, Terranigma really hammered the weight of all that you accomplished down.

At the end, you return back to Crysta and face Gaia. There's a weird mix of futility and progress that I felt there, but what really tore me up was the day you were given at the end. That's just brutal. A lot of games acknowledge the end of the game with the credits, some do more, but rarely do we see bittersweet endings. Terranigmas ending was way more bitter than sweet. It stared you straight in the face and said, "This is it. When Ark goes to sleep, this story is 'over'."

To not only have a proper, mostly bitter, ending, as well as acknowledging the end of the game in ingame terms, is to me a stroke of genius.

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
maxnarvaes
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:36 AM »

Terranigma. In pretty much all games you go through a LOT of stuff. Relationship drama, battles, dilemmas etc. But for me, Terranigma really hammered the weight of all that you accomplished down.

At the end, you return back to Crysta and face Gaia. There's a weird mix of futility and progress that I felt there, but what really tore me up was the day you were given at the end. That's just brutal. A lot of games acknowledge the end of the game with the credits, some do more, but rarely do we see bittersweet endings. Terranigmas ending was way more bitter than sweet. It stared you straight in the face and said, "This is it. When Ark goes to sleep, this story is 'over'."

To not only have a proper, mostly bitter, ending, as well as acknowledging the end of the game in ingame terms, is to me a stroke of genius.

Oh yes, terranigma was simply genius, absolutely moving ending, I think I cried when I finished it. One of the greatest RPG's ever.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2012, 07:12:41 AM »

Iji has moved me more than any other game.
Mostly just at the end, where Tor dies. It was pretty sad to see it.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »

Immortal Defense(The part where your teacher/mentor double crosses you and causes Earth to be destroyed)

you mean dukis, not earth; earth is in a separate galaxy haha

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »

This is an old one, but I've never since become so immersed in a storyline as in Dune.

Abe's Oddyssey came close though, also the first Settlers.

Holy crap, how did I never know about that Dune game?

As for most moving game, let's see.
There was a lot of stuff in Soul Blazer that really got to me when I was younger.  That whole game is just tinged with sadness, death, and longing.
ink.inc
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

katawa shoujo was pretty touching (and not just in a lecherous grope-y manner)

though its a visual novel as opposed to an actual game
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »

Another recent game I found pretty moving was To The Moon. Having to remove John and Rivers relationship completely from johns memory efter having traveled through it all felt really emotional to me. I think it kinda touched me the same way as Phoenix Wright did.

Yeah, earlier today I tried the demo, was instantly intrigued, and bought the full version.

Very emotional journey, from beginning to end. Not pure tragic sad sad sad, either, but a game that makes you feel a variety of different feelings, sometimes at the same time.

I beat it about 2 hours ago and feel very emotionally drained, in the best possible way. It's like playing a sport or exercising, but with your emotions.

Deserves a special mention for its writing and music as well, which basically sum up why it's such a lovely journey. Some very great subtlety in its pixel work, too.

I didn't want this to turn into a micro-review, but it happened anyway. Tongue

I strongly recommend this game! (plus you can always try the demo for an hour and see if you like it) http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/
cronotime
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »

Chrono Trigger. Not that one part, nor that other one part ((where the first "one part" is undone), but the very beginning during the Millennial Fair. In one of the houses an NPC says "Something tells me I'm as happy now as I'll ever be." It made the Millennial Fair almost bittersweet; in a matter of days, all will be gone, and all will be back to the ordinary for the rest of their life. The parallels to real life are disturbing, to say the least.

"Something tells me I'm as happy now as I'll ever be." I felt exactly the same way about this quote - incredibly bittersweet. Gotta remember and enjoy the hell out of those happy occasions.

The text as you quoted it is from the DS translation of Chrono Trigger. The original SNES translation was the simpler "I'm so happy I could scream!".

I wonder how true the sentiment of the English translation was to the original Japanese text? Sorry about the bump, I Googled the full phrase "Something tells me I'm as happy now as I'll ever be." and was both surprised and happy to see that somebody else liked it as much as me.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »

Yume Nikki, absolutely. As intimate as it is surreal.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2015, 11:15:36 PM »

Holy resurrected topic, Batman! this thing started five years ago.

I'll go with Chrono Trigger.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2015, 11:39:44 PM »

Since it didn't exist when the thread started, I'll say the opening of Ori was pretty moving

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2015, 12:19:22 AM »

seeing hyrule castle town as adult link in ocarina of time was pretty sad when i was 8.

hmm, i can't really think of much else that has moved me in a videogame tbh. i don't get into videogame stories the same way i get into movies or books.
JWK5
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2015, 01:07:31 AM »

It is not even the fact she dies or the dramatics of the scene that always got me, it's what Cloud is saying. Sephiroth is droning on about how she will become energy, how she'll never laugh, cry, or feel pain, etc. but rather than having Cloud launch into some standard video game hero hollow revenge threats instead they actually make him completely beside himself with shock and disbelief.

"What about us... What are WE supposed to do?"
"What about my pain?"
"My fingers are tingling."
"My mouth is dry."
"My eyes are burning!"

It all culminates with Sephiroth saying "Stop acting as if you were sad, there is no need to act as though you're angry either." "Because, Cloud, You are..."

The game Nier really got to me too, the way Nier is this surly warrior but who barely keeps his emotions in check fretting over his sick daughter Yonah is another example of a game character showing human fragility. For that matter, I really liked Snake's interaction with Sunny in MGS4, it is a shame they didn't make more use of that dynamic.

A sense of vulnerability is one of the most important aspects of humanity, it brings out both the best and worst in us. That so many movies, novels, games, etc. try to pass off these emotionally impervious characters really shoots down their ability to connect deeply with their audience.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic