Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:53:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMost Moving Game
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Most Moving Game  (Read 25739 times)
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2015, 07:37:55 PM »

I just beat Undertale and I have never before with a game had an emotional joyride from start to finish. This game is proof that bullet patterns are an effective form on emotional conveyance from sleeping puppies and dancing bunnies to a rapid ddr section that slows down significantly during your opponents final breaths.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:36:19 PM by Landshark RAWR » Logged

bitserum
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2015, 11:02:17 AM »

Terranigma. In pretty much all games you go through a LOT of stuff. Relationship drama, battles, dilemmas etc. But for me, Terranigma really hammered the weight of all that you accomplished down.

At the end, you return back to Crysta and face Gaia. There's a weird mix of futility and progress that I felt there, but what really tore me up was the day you were given at the end. That's just brutal. A lot of games acknowledge the end of the game with the credits, some do more, but rarely do we see bittersweet endings. Terranigmas ending was way more bitter than sweet. It stared you straight in the face and said, "This is it. When Ark goes to sleep, this story is 'over'."

To not only have a proper, mostly bitter, ending, as well as acknowledging the end of the game in ingame terms, is to me a stroke of genius.

Both Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia were very moving to me throughout. Especially: in Illusion of Gaia when that pig sacrifices itself to feed the starving tribe, or in Terranigma when that goat practically forces you to eat it once it's dead so you can survive

Link's Awakening moved me more than most other games. And more recently The Talos principle and more-so its expansion, The Road to Gehenna have been really emotional experiences at times. (Gehenna's ending, though short was really amazing).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:21:04 PM by bitserum » Logged
muppetWolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2015, 12:58:28 PM »

This War of Mine was emotionally exhausting to me. Seeing all these people you're trying to keep alive slowly succumb to starvation/sickness/depression/ etc.? That was super draining. I could only play the game for so long at a time.

Le Loupgarou Dev Blog
tylerfunk
Level 0

I make games for fun and games

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2015, 12:32:56 PM »

The Last of Us (not sure if it was mentioned prior). I'd say the best way to have a moving game is to have the story - or even the gameplay to some degrees - to create attachment to what is going on in the game. If you have that, and it is done well, the player will be moved. TLoU was amazing at that with the motion capture/graphics, level design feeling like a living place, the written story and how well the VAs did with it, etc. Definitely one of the single greatest games in my mind since it is just so perfectly well rounded.

EDIT

Oh, and winter. Winter was amazing in that game. Still gives me chills thinking about it. Some of the best stealth gameplay (in an action game) I've had.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:38:37 PM by Lugalias » Logged

MEAD✿W LARK - Metal Deity - That Sea of Neon - Breakvania
Fegon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2015, 11:25:07 PM »

Secret of Mana, when you first reach the mana tree and see it, from up on that cliff. First time a video game made me cry. More recently the last of us had me hooked emotionly throughout the entire game, not sure what it is about it that just worked.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic