Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:47:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Prelude: A Side Scrollin' Zombie Fort Game  (Read 23092 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »

There's bound to be some bugs, but there's a new version with critical shots on the rifle and better support for buildings, as well as a lag issue fixed.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts!

The problem is that i'm trying to keep some form of gameplay happening while implementing everything, so at this point (while I've only had the time to sprite two actors) the way I've tried to keep it kinda fun is to keep it balanced. Once the stamina and infection systems are on their way the game will get quite a bit harder, and probably a lot less fair.

However, some of those suggestions are very fun sounding. I'd thought of unundead before, and I'm definitely going to add more types of zombies. Digging is going to be slowed down quite a lot very soon, once there's a semblance of the construction system, but a more interesting subterranean layout would definitely be a good thing.

I very much like the idea of buried dead.. I might make it so there are some randomly buried skeletal zombies in earth and mud to keep the player on their toes, but also possibly mass graves filled with a good 4-10 zeds in some areas which the player could stumble upon.

thanks again for the in-depth comments.
why not add a caverns so that those who dig deep(with a non weak shovel) gets dumped into a pit full of zombies and find crazy loot. If they survive that it can be a base of operation for further along the game seeing underground fort leads to underground root monsters.
Dead_Modern
Level 0

Welcome consumers

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2010, 10:54:33 AM »

I too feel that some zombies should be buried. Its a concept that seems so logical, but isn't present in other zombie games.

I'm here to tell you about the monoculture.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »

@Rumrusher: Caverns are planned features, but they're planned to come at the point where I get streaming levels going rather than with the current placeholder level generation.

People are still getting the lag issue, I'm going to look into it, I thought I'd fixed it <_<

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2010, 02:21:45 PM »

The lag is fixed for real now.
I too feel that some zombies should be buried. Its a concept that seems so logical, but isn't present in other zombie games.
I feel that most "zombie games" go in exactly the wrong direction with heaps of action and not much setting or creepiness. This doesn't have creepiness or setting either yet, but they're big players in the plan. Buried zombies sort of fits with the setting, though moreso with the caves than with straight dirt on top (the zombies need light for energy).

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2010, 12:39:18 AM »

The lag is fixed for real now.
I feel that most "zombie games" go in exactly the wrong direction with heaps of action and not much setting or creepiness. This doesn't have creepiness or setting either yet, but they're big players in the plan. Buried zombies sort of fits with the setting, though moreso with the caves than with straight dirt on top (the zombies need light for energy).
  but isn't the story about plants taking over humans if this is the future wouldn't the whole idea of shoving potential enemies 6 feet under and leaving be the last thing you want for to do for a zombie apoc. ? Unless you lamp shade this by explaining that the enemies you face underground are more Fungi than the plant ones.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2010, 01:40:40 AM »

Considering that in the meadows of roses there are plants that pull people underground, I don't think the underground zeds will seem very far fetched. They'll definitely be more fungal, and possibly also more skeletal. Also, in the starting period of the apocalypse it'd likely be considered good practice to bury (or incinerate) infectious corpses to prevent further contamination. I think it's fairly plausible, considering the people involved haven't had time to study the parasite at all.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2010, 02:30:10 AM »

Considering that in the meadows of roses there are plants that pull people underground, I don't think the underground zeds will seem very far fetched. They'll definitely be more fungal, and possibly also more skeletal. Also, in the starting period of the apocalypse it'd likely be considered good practice to bury (or incinerate) infectious corpses to prevent further contamination. I think it's fairly plausible, considering the people involved haven't had time to study the parasite at all.
Dang when the plants get fed up protecting our lawns, Mankind would go into it's darkest hour.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2010, 02:43:08 AM »

Heh, I like you. Anyway, stomping bugs mostly tonight, but also adding some more building tiles for variety.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2010, 03:53:44 AM »

UPDATE
2 new tiles added for you building enthusiasts, a wall piece and a roofing piece. Something weird is going on with the walls which I'll look into tomorrow before I go off and do other stuff, but for now don't try and hook them up to stuff sideways, they're not intended to work that way and it might cause bad things to happen.

There's also a -NO AMMO- indicator for those who were confused by the perpetual reload of doom.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »

There was a massive block on the game from the menu, but that's fixed now. Sorry for the delay on everything, I've been caught up in coding the blog and personal stuff yesterday.

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »

This seems like a really fun idea.  I haven't actually read through all 7 pages of the thread (just looked at the original post), but the idea of defending by being able to tangibly build something definitely appeals to me.  The art style is very nice as well.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »

Cheers Coffee I'm going to need a better way of showing something being unbalanced soon but I figured that it'd be easier to abstract the system (4 directional support) than try and do something like this in 3D. Glad you like the idea, and the (mostly unfinished) art.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2010, 03:41:44 AM »

BLOG UPDATE CONCERNING PRELUDE UPDATE PLEASE READ THE CONTROLS ARE A BIT DIFFERENT

Mostly bugfixes, but I've got a plan for this week/weekend. We'll see if it comes to fruition.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2010, 03:51:44 AM »

EMBARK SYSTEM FOR YOU PEOPLE THAT NEED MORE BULLETS. It's kinda shabby at the moment but it's a sign of things to come. Read all about it here, or just go play (it's self explanatory).

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2010, 03:13:41 AM »

I got a chance to work on this again today (after doing a hell of a lot of calculus coursework <_<) getting the basis for stat tracking down, so unlockables won't be too far away, along with scoring and a highscore table, which should add some replayability, and allow me to go nuts on content for a while.

I've got to think of some way of limiting construction though. Making it so you cannot build tiles in impossible places would be a start (a bit of a PITA to do but whatever) but I'm thinking until I get some form of player controlled construction happening a good thing to add would be the ability to purchase "wood" for points upon embark, so you get a tradeoff between how many items you can take and how many resources you bring.

Construction resources will always be something you can bring along with you in crates, but it could be a good idea to get in quick with those sorts of limitations (before scoring starts happening so I don't have to wipe the boards often)

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »

I got a chance to work on this again today (after doing a hell of a lot of calculus coursework <_<) getting the basis for stat tracking down, so unlockables won't be too far away, along with scoring and a highscore table, which should add some replayability, and allow me to go nuts on content for a while.

I've got to think of some way of limiting construction though. Making it so you cannot build tiles in impossible places would be a start (a bit of a PITA to do but whatever) but I'm thinking until I get some form of player controlled construction happening a good thing to add would be the ability to purchase "wood" for points upon embark, so you get a tradeoff between how many items you can take and how many resources you bring.

Construction resources will always be something you can bring along with you in crates, but it could be a good idea to get in quick with those sorts of limitations (before scoring starts happening so I don't have to wipe the boards often)
Hey could you point me to the group of other guys helping on this? I want to see if they know anything about keeping construction tiles from falling apart when building forts that touches the top of the screen.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »

No-one else is working on this, It's just me. I might request some art content production at some point if I get bogged down but this is currently a 1-man-effort.

That said, http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19627 in that topic some people have got some crazy stuff built at various points. When it comes down to it you should dig down a few layers to get a more solid foundation and then block out the rough shape with crossed sticks (the "+" piece), add walls and floors and you're good to go.
It'd be nice to see that kind of discussion move to the forums but there's some missing functionality and a very limited userbase as of now. Those kind of things take time.

Getting stuff done on the unlocks now, some crazy bugs have cropped up in the process but I'll get them under control

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »

You can now unlock the .303 in-game.
There are some important notes HERE, which I suggest you'll read. You'll know if you've unlocked the gun when you go back to the main menu after a game. Enjoy, I'm going out for a while Tongue

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2010, 02:19:14 AM »

Started drafting time-of-day. The clouds currently look atrocious but that'll get nipped in the bud quick-smart, just not tonight. There've also been some HUD updates (see the top of the shot) before I get something proper happening (there are big plans for changes graphically, same as there are for the embark screen, but they'll eat time as they require lots of pretty content), an added tile and a few smaller fixes. The update will come once the time does a few things in-game related to zombie energy levels and probably once I've got a medkit added, though that'll be an incredibly simple addition (the two longest parts of its production are expected to be coding the menu block for it and spriting it). That might happen this week, or might not, depending on how hectic school is.

(FINALS IN TWO WEEKS HOLY SHIT)

Comments are welcome, keep in mind that the background fades in and out with the night sky replacing it, the clouds change colour to match it, blah blah.

Highscore tables will happen soon after the update containing time of day.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic