Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:14:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeP-XCEL - simple on-model texture editor [UPDATE v1.01]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: P-XCEL - simple on-model texture editor [UPDATE v1.01]  (Read 55689 times)
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »

P-XCEL is a simple texture editor that allows you to paint
and adjust the textures directly on the model.

1. Why?

I always struggled with making even simple models for my 3d games. Learning to model in SketchUp for example is very easy - unfortunately same cannot be said about texturing. I never quite liked 3d Studio's uv mapping and the whole workflow scheme pushed me back every time I wanted a quick texture to be done.

So I have written a small tool to makes things easier!  Smiley

Maybe it doesn't allow as much freedom as some major applications, but it's fun to use and easy to learn. And you can then export the model with it's textures nicely packed together for use in your games immediately!

2. About the program

The editor reads and exports .obj files currently (Wavelength model format) - it's a simple and open standard, handled by many 3d modeling programs out there.
You can paint on the whole model using a few basic tools, you can also edit UV coordinates of each face inside a handy 2D Texture Editor.
Then you just export the model to a .obj file with automatically generated textures and you can load use it in your game

I currently use C# - I can quickly upload a versatile .OBJ model loader code if anyone is interested  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

3. How it works?

You choose an .obj model to load, then you set the texture scale (originally 1 unit in model-units is 1 pixel, but different programs tend to export in a different way) and you are ready to paint!
The program automatically generates faces and puts empty textures on them. Faces are created with coplanar triangles, or to be more exact - adjacent triangles that have the same normal, so it is possible to have curved faces, as long as the normals in the file are the same.

When you are done with painting, choose File->Export and specify the output file - the program will generate an .obj model with appropriate UV mapping and compile a final texture, containing all textures in the model (you can either force a specific texture size or let the program automatically find the smallest size possible, which might take a while for lots of faces)

Example of compiled texture:

There are some cool features, for example references which allow you to share the same texture by multiple faces, thus saving final compiled texture space.

Just look into short manual and eveything will be clear!

4. Future

After this public release I plan on developing the tool further, I already have a complete list of useful features I really want to add but I'll wirte more about them later, in my devlog  Smiley

And please, keep in mind that this editor is meant for rather low-poly models, so import 5000+ tri objects only at your own risk  Smiley

Screenshots

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD
no installer, just exe and some other files + demo models
Manual
currently as an image, too lazy to create a webpage just yet  Wink
DevLog
see some info on the updated version
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:00:22 PM by __stdcall » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »

Wow, this looks pretty cool, dude, nice work!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »

Wow cool prog but:

unfortunately same cannot be said about texturing. I never quite liked 3d Studio's uv mapping and the whole workflow scheme pushed me back every time I wanted a quick texture to be done.

Blender  Who, Me?

Nix
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

This is really... really... really... cool. Pixel art for 3D models in a very intuitive way. You should totally do something bigger with this than just post a link in a forum. Or at least make sure it's on one of those Big Lists.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »

This truly is an excellent idea, especially for those who are just getting into 3D with Unity or somesuch.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:39 AM »

glad you like it Smiley

Blender  Who, Me?
well yes, there is blender, crackart 3d and some expensive photoshop plugin which's name I can't remember right now, but I needed something really simple and quick

and I love pixelart! (and low-poly modelling)
but most of all, this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232&page=48 inspires me  Grin
Squiggly_P
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »

I'm gonna try this out ASAP. I usually use Blender, but UV unwrapping is one of my least favorite things, and this is the sort of style I like to use on my low-res models, so this is perfect for me. I love getting new editing apps to play around with.  Grin

I also am a huge fan of that thread, especially tennis' and madPXL's stuff.
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:05:39 PM »

It's cool, but does not work. Every time I open a .obj file the units are ridiculous random numbers. I am just trying to open the models in the /obj directory.

__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »

It's cool, but does not work. Every time I open a .obj file the units are ridiculous random numbers. I am just trying to open the models in the /obj directory.
ridiculous numbers you say? could you please show a screenshot? I'll look into that ASAP although I have no idea what might cause it

the example box.obj model should be 30x20x5 units big
let the bug hunt begin  Evil
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:11:53 AM »

Cool stuff, 3D pixe ART Beer!
Just dont forget to disable the filtering Tongue
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:27 AM »

ridiculous numbers you say? could you please show a screenshot? I'll look into that ASAP although I have no idea what might cause it

the example box.obj model should be 30x20x5 units big
let the bug hunt begin  Evil

I'm getting the same problem. Opening the project file works fine, with normal units, but if I try to open an object with New->Hummer.obj it looks like this and crashes with an OutOfMemory exception when I click okay:

Windows 7 x64 machine
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »

This is probably one of the best ideas ever.

Unfortunately I get the exact same error as Lord Tim, using Vista 64-bit.

__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »

I'm already tracking this problem, but might I say it's very strange that the same computations on the same data give different results on different machines

but please give a little time and I'll make it bulletproof  Wink
Squiggly_P
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »

I get the same problem on Win 7 64bit. I tried running it in XP service pack 2 compatibility mode and it did the same thing.

But it can load the project for the hummer just fine.
__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »

I ninja updated the download link with version that hopefully solved the .obj loading problems! If it indeed works, I'll make it official

Now I'm going to get some sleep, so see you later   Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »

might I say it's very strange that the same computations on the same data give different results on different machines

If they're floating point computations then it's not strange at all.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 05:05:09 AM »

Oh wow, this looks like just the thing I wanted. Now I just need a nice way of rendering these things.

EDIT: Can we have a camera that rotates around the center? Sad

EDIT 2:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:56:09 AM by Hideous » Logged

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:39 AM »

any chance of providing a .zip version? I'd like to try this out.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 07:57:20 AM »

@lowpoly: Because I am such a nice guy, I repacked it for you: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/525494/P-XCEL%201.01.zip

__stdcall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »

update is ready! more on my devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14503.0

cool truck! I plan on modelling and texturing something cool soon too Smiley

EDIT: work in progress

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:11:31 PM by __stdcall » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic