Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:58:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSerial Killer: The Roguelike
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Serial Killer: The Roguelike  (Read 25854 times)
Paint by Numbers
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »

There's a guy called CrimsonKing who is working on a roguelike themed around serial killing.

Here's the original topic at RogueTemple.

Here is a thread at Bay12 containing all the information CrimsonKing has given. Check this out for more in-depth features.

A list of features:
Quote from: CrimsonKing
   * Randomly generated city with various districts, or a large, premade city based on a real life location. I prefer the latter. More character can be placed into the locations you create yourself.
    * Dynamic AI that adhere to schedules (work,the eat, sleep and so on)
    * Night and day with lighting changes to reflect the time.
    * Realistic line of sight, realistic stealth and lighting.
    * Starting house \ apartment for the player and real estate to buy.
    * Regular jobs for income support (or simply steal from your victims or, hell, live like a hobo)
    * Hunger and various edible (and not so edible) foods. Cooking.
    * Multiple attacks for each weapon (edge, point & blunt for a knife, as an example)
    * Trophies. Body parts, fluids and possessions. Place drops of blood on slides if you want.
    * Fleshed out mental states, traits and psychological profiles. Experience hallucinations, insomnia, black outs, fits of rage and other conditions. Have traits that automatically perform actions against the players will -- a psychotic who randomly takes off his clothes and runs naked through the streets.
    * Drug and alcohol abuse, which ties into mental states and can change your psychological profile.
    * Realistic justice system. Get life or the chair for serious crimes, jail time or community service for lesser.
    * Realistic evidence system. Police gather evidence and actively seek to find you.
    * Disguise's and evidence prevention items. Wear protective plastic suits and masks during messy jobs to avoid spraying blood on your clothes and skin. Place sheets of plastic around the surroundings to reduce the risk of evidence exposure, Dexter style.
    * The ability to kidnap characters and take them to any location. Keep them prisoner.
    * Reports on the television and newspaper concerning your crimes. Media and public hysteria.
    * Join various factions. Become a mob hitman, a crime scene analyst who uses his departments assets to track murderers (hmmm...), a dirty cop, a psychologist who eats his patients. So on and so forth.

Most of those features are a LONG way away though.

(I guess no embedding on TIGSource, huh?)

I'm pretty stoked for this!

Also: Some threads I've seen about this have descended into some people complaining about whether or not rape will be included. It won't be. Some are disappointed because of the lack of a very common element of serial killing while other, more trivial elements are kept in; others are happy because they are afraid some people might get off to it. We've all played "Edmund" already; we don't need that sort of discussion clogging things up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:00:18 AM by Paint by Numbers » Logged
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:07:31 PM »

This looks interesting. I like to see people trying new things with old genres. Not sure about all the holding down a steady job nonsense. That's a bit too sims-like for me. The sneaking around trying to get away with murder sounds interesting though.

Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »

The video got me really excited for this game. And if he's able to implement all of those features then I don't really care about rape.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »

Not sure about all the holding down a steady job nonsense. That's a bit too sims-like for me.
I actually think that's the most interesting part of the game because it has the potential to deal with the consequences for the player's crimes on a broader scale and in greater complexity than getting chased around by the cops, GTA-style, and seeing a Game Over screen. Most games that deal with crime deal with it on a very superficial level (i.e. you break the law, you get punished), ignoring the psychological and social issues that come with it for everyone involved.

I was intially going to dismiss this because games that put the player in an immoral/villainous role are a bit of a cliche these days, but this one could be different. I just hope the developer doesn't trade in the chance to portrary complex issues for simple "shock value".
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »

Quote from: CrimsonKing
I've got the basics down for nailing limbs to walls and objects. Haven't got the time to code it now, but you'll eventually be able to nail/sew/attach limbs (or any objects I guess) to anything, including other NPC's. Hell, sew together thousands of limbs and make a giant pissed off limb monster that cavorts through your dreams feeding on stray hobos. Or cut your own hand off and sew on a butchers knife or hook or something.
I'm looking forward to the insanity features. Crazy hallucinations? Yes please. Smiley

Apparently your work will be kind of fast-forwarded, so you won't have to actually play through it. It's only something that gives you money and possibly other benefits (working in a warehouse gives you easier access to tools, for example).

I just hope the developer doesn't trade in the chance to portrary complex issues for simple "shock value".

I hope he doesn't try to make it too full of "complex issues", because I don't want it to turn into a pseudo-art game. It's a game about serial killing. Hopefully it'll end up as an awesome, intricate simulation of the subject, complete with emulations of insanity and how the world reacts to your actions! But if it turns out to be some pretentious exploration of morality and human cruelty, it will not be fun.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »

I'm not sure I'd want a game about serial killing to be fun. Epileptic

On a more serious note though, I wasn't suggesting to turn it into some kinda "message game" about morality, I just hope that it'll go a bit deeper than "Durr hurr hurr, being a homicidal maniac is, like, totally rad 'n' shit". But reading through the feature list, I'm not too worried about that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:25:19 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »

this is going to waste my life to an extreme, like thief: the dark project Wizard

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »

I wasn't suggesting to turn it into some kinda "message game" about morality, I just hope that it'll go a bit deeper than "Durr hurr hurr, being a homicidal maniac is, like, totally rad 'n' shit". But reading through the feature list, I'm not too worried about that.

Right on. Sorry for misinterpreting.

I don't see anything wrong with making a serial killing game fun, though. We can't make games about robots and zombies forever. Wink
Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »

I'm not sure I'd want a game about serial killing to be fun. Epileptic

On a more serious note though, I wasn't suggesting to turn it into some kinda "message game" about morality, I just hope that it'll go a bit deeper than "Durr hurr hurr, being a homicidal maniac is, like, totally rad 'n' shit". But reading through the feature list, I'm not too worried about that.

Yea I feel you on this, I would hope that a game about killing people and severing them wouldn't be fun, this game does look entertaining and all of that but i guess the best way to describe it is like you said. Wouldn't want it to be a "Durr hurr hurr" type of thing where people enjoy it for the wrong reasons. idk if that makes sense but thats what I am thinking  Evil
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »

I'm surprised "Murder Simulator" hasn't been mentioned yet.

Here's my addition - Bones files where imprisoned incarnations of your former lives escape from the clink and come after you, even going so far as to follow your previous methods when they try to take you out.

Sounds like a cool idea, but I don't know if I'd play it strictly because the seemingly arbitrary violence is unappealing.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »

Violence aside, I'd love to play a game as a character with varied mental states/substance abuse problems.

Okenido
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »

What intrigues me is the overwhelmingly positive response this is getting from amount of time it took several communities to get into a moral outrage.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:09:01 AM by Okenido » Logged
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »

What intrigues me is the overwhelmingly positive response this is getting from several communities.

I supposed the graphics are kind of patchwork. He said he'd fix that, though, so it's looking good. Smiley
Okenido
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »

I was actually talking about the concept of the game.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »

Looks really interesting. I wonder if he has implemented a mechanic for following a particular M.O. or ritual? i.e. weapon of choice, type of victim, a special calling card... would be cool if you could choose strict rituals or loose ones - the strict ones are harder to follow, but have a bigger payoff in terms of psychological stability...

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 12:05:54 AM »

Looks really interesting. I wonder if he has implemented a mechanic for following a particular M.O. or ritual? i.e. weapon of choice, type of victim, a special calling card... would be cool if you could choose strict rituals or loose ones - the strict ones are harder to follow, but have a bigger payoff in terms of psychological stability...
I don't know whether he's done with the code or not, but having M.O.s will be a big part of the game. Apparently you'll be able to choose them yourself, so you could harvest only right eyes or use only knives or whatever.

Oh. What's wrong with it?
Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 07:48:11 AM »

Oh. What's wrong with it?
[/quote]

I suppose he is referring to the fact that a game where you become a serial killer is being widely accepted, rather than causing outrage or something.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »

I suppose he is referring to the fact that a game where you become a serial killer is being widely accepted, rather than causing outrage or something.

That's a sad way to think. I guess we haven't outgrown the "reality and video games are interchangeable" mentality.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »

All of these "this shouldn't be fun... these things are serious guys  Noir" comments remind me of how mad I got about all of those "oh man I can't play this" comments that Edmund got.

So it's a game about a serial killer, believe it or not, over the course of human history, there's been alot of killin'. Welcome to the real world kids. So somebody's making a game about killing... oh no! Nobody ever kills anybody in video games do they?
ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »

I'm sold
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic