Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:05:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNoitu Love 2 Demo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Noitu Love 2 Demo  (Read 66047 times)
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:28:20 AM »

So, yeah, I released my demo today. Smiley
The full game isn't quite ready yet so it will be a little longer, but as I am still working on the full thing it would be great to get some glitch or bug report from tiggers.

My biggest pain in the arse right now is an almost random freezing bug, and I want to know if it still persists. It seems to want to happen mostly around dialogue, and I think it's a sound playback problem (to do with the sound of dialogue appearing, for example).

Other than that, please give me feedback on anything gameplay!* Smiley
Hopefully I've gotten things down and I highly suggest you play and listen to the tutorial so you know what moves you can do, and that you use special moves frequently.

I'm not sure about what specs you'll need as MMF2 runs off software render and is generally a slow program in comparsion to raw programming. But any decent computer seems to do just fine. Hopefully you don't have fullscreen problems, I wanted to have better support for different window sizes also, but it won't work well until Clickteam releases a properly working HWA version of MMF2.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

The very game: http://www.konjak.org/nl2demo.zip

* Except DON'T ask me to add non-mouse support after having just played for 2 minutes.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:30:29 AM »

I only played for two minutes, could you add support for just the keyboard? thanks.

Hot damn that's sweet. It took everything I felt Noitu Love could have improved on, then it did them, then it did bucketloads more.

I only played the first level so as not to spoil anything from the final game (it took a lot of self control to hit that quit button, lemme tell you).

I really can't think of what to criticise. Perhaps that the shield didn't seem very intuitive or helpful, or at least, I didn't understand it.

The bosses were incredible. Absolutely stunning. The game moves at such a breakneck pace it feels like it should be impossible but as long as you just keep clicking you'll get along just fine.

konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »

Thanks!

You only get a third of the second level, then it ends, though. Also, the second level uses the shield several times (but not in the demo part).
Erik Svedäng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 02:40:30 AM »

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

WOW!

The only criticism I can come up with: I missed some text in the tutorial because it moved on to fast (probably because I was busy trying out the attacks and clicked with the mouse all the time).

Latest news about my games: www.eriksvedang.com
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 02:53:44 AM »

Yeah... the next dialogue is triggered by doing the required move. Probably should change that. Smiley
Mischief Maker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 04:49:50 AM »

I haven't encountered any freeze bugs in the dialouge, but when I finish the demo the screen just goes black and the only thing I can do is Alt-F4.  Was that intentional?
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:54:05 AM »

Do you have quicktime support? If not, it tries to run the trailer and I guess it just leaves it black.

I was wondering what would happen.
Mischief Maker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 04:55:21 AM »

No, I use the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and haven't gotten around to configuring the quicktime alternative yet.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 05:18:17 AM »

This is AMAZING Shocked. To be honest, when I first found out about this game I wasn't interested at all. But shit. I was expecting it to be too hard for me, but I passed it quite easily.

I'll be attached to this demo for a while.

Friendly Rhinoceros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 05:37:52 AM »

This was a great demo!  Your pixel art is very beautiful.  I really like the outdoor stuff in the first stage.  I think the mouse control works perfectly as well; it feels very natural, especially once I got used to the combos.  It's the kind of game where it's just fun to move around.

The first boss was great, and I appreciate that you put a checkpoint so close to him.  Honestly, I wouldn't have played the first level over again after losing to the boss, so thanks for the checkpoint.  I'm assuming the reaper guy was just a miniboss, because he was pretty easy, but he was still fun.  I had trouble noticing if his attacks were doing anything, though.

I didn't have any glitches with the dialogue, but I did miss some of the tutorial because it went by too fast.

Now I'm looking forward to the full game.  Keep up the good work!
Mischief Maker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:53:08 AM »

One other small suggestion:

You already give the highest combo and a time ranking at the end of level screen.  Why not add a ranking for total amount of damage taken and combine the three into a letter grade for the level ala. Devil May Cry?

It would be a little boost to the replayability for people who've already beaten the hardest modes.
ZeppMan217
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 07:08:32 AM »

its great! REALLY! AMAZING! Ready to pay Wink
About problems:
1) After end screen game freezed, then i recieved error message. Something wrong with mmsf2.dll
2) I am not sure if this is bug, but after killing somebody i recieve strange slowing down.

City 217 citizen.
"We do what we must because we can"
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »

(Yay, finally able to access tigsource again!)

This was great!  The controls took a little bit getting used to, but once you get it it works great.  Actually I thought the game's a bit on the easy side, but then again that's perfectly fine for the first level Smiley  (Maybe the lava should do more damage though, I actually just ran across it for a fair bit before using the hooks..)

Was there supposed to be music?  I got none.  That could just be a Wine problem though.  Works fine in wine other than that btw.

One serious issue: All the input keys (and mouse buttons) suddenly stopped responding near the beginning of level 2 at the bottom of the tower.  This could also be a Wine issue I suppose, but I don't think so because the enter key to open the in-game menu still worked fine (still didn't work in-game after the menu though), and back at the main menu the mouse worked fine too.  (Maybe that was where the demo was supposed to end?  The game didn't stop, there was a darn that kept trying to hit Xoda with a flamethrower, but she was out of the way so didn't get hit.  She just refused to do anything other than to just stand there.  Maybe she liked the heat.)
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:27 AM »

I <3 Noitu Love 2!

One thing though, the game crashed if I tried to quit during the Quicktime movie (the movie played fine, I just couldn't quit!).

konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

Any issues past the "End of Demo" screen is very likely the fact it tries to play a MOV file. That it crashes trying to skip it I'll blame on MMF2. The final game won't be playing video files...

The controls not working on Level 2 I have no clue what that is. Until I see it again I'll blame Wine. Smiley

Zeppman, when you kill an enemy it has a pause and is supposed to. I took a page from Zelda games as they pause the game when something is killed for effect.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:19:05 AM by konjak » Logged
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »

First of all: this is the best looking 2D game I have ever seen. What you did with the graphics and animations is fucking amazing. The pseudo-3D background effect is also very nice.

I didn't like the first Noitu Love very much because I thought it was very repetitive, and I had the same impression with NL2 in the Normal mode. Hard mode was a much, much better experience. Pretty fun.

I like the mouse controls. Nice idea. Not much else to say about it.

I found level 2 too easy. It took me four tries to clear level 1 on hard mode, but I didn't even lose any health in level 2.

Can't wait for the official release. Great work, Mr. konjak! Grin
ZeppMan217
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »

Zeppman, when you kill an enemy it has a pause and is supposed to. I took a page from Zelda games as they pause the game when something is killed for effect.
hmm...ok. as you say Wink but you know...its just a bit annoying especially when you have to fight with 20 darns =)

City 217 citizen.
"We do what we must because we can"
Dustin Gunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »

I found level 2 too easy. It took me four tries to clear level 1 on hard mode, but I didn't even lose any health in level 2.

it's the very beginning of level 2
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 09:46:52 AM »

Yeah, the End of Demo text says it's not the whole level. Smiley
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »

Oh my god I think I'm in love.

It's games like this, Gunstar, and Metal Slug that made me want to become an indie game developer in the first place. Now I feel all... nostalgic T_T

The only problem I could come up with is that the first level gets a bit boring/repetitive in spots, where you're just running through a bunch of fodder enemies. It's all good once you get to a boss, though ^_^

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic