Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:39:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Korean indie gaming scene is being trampled on by Korean law
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Korean indie gaming scene is being trampled on by Korean law  (Read 26846 times)
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/d9639/korean_indie_game_making_scene_got_fatal_blow_by/

That was a pretty sad read. Sad

tl;dr - Korea has a game rating board like many countries, but getting rated by it is legally mandatory for the games published there. The board recently started exercising their power over Korean indie game developers (even ones who release their games for free) and the people who refuse to pay or can't afford the fee get their games taken down. The basic fee ranges from about 20 to 700 USD per game. I'm not sure if the game creators or the Korean indie gaming websites are supposed to pay the fee, but it sounds like the latter, which is even worse.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:42:51 AM »

That's absolutely ludicrous, no wonder why North Korea is best Korea. Like that guy on the comment section said, uploading to a foreign server and claiming it's being published in another country is probably a good loophole, but again, I think they should fight the problem instead of evading it.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 01:12:06 AM »

I think you should specify this is South Korea we're talking about here, I believe.

And kYn, North Korea is a brutal dictatorship.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »

I was just joking pikamelly. But alas, Kim Jon Ill is not an asshole to the indies, he doesn't discriminate and he's an asshole to everyone Wizard

And yeah, they're talking about South Korea.
increpare
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:33:53 AM »

I wonder if there's anything we can do to assist -
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »

How about if those of us that have blogs write a blog post about it, and at the end of the post add a list of all the other blogs that have written a similar post? Kinda like the recent "Size Doesn't Matter Day"? (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29943/Judging_Games_On_Length_Indies_Declare_Size_Doesnt_Matter_Day.php)

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
JoGribbs
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:24 AM »

Well, it's not really something to discuss, like the size doesn't matter thing, more like something to rally against.

EDIT: Of course I'm assuming everybody is opposed to this. If you're not I'd love to hear your argument (I'm not being confrontational, I would genuinely be interested in hearing your point of view).
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »

I didn't mean that people could write blog posts to discuss this, but to spread awareness about the issue. Of course I'm opposed to it.

Laserbrain Studios
JoGribbs
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »

Wasn't accusing you, I just thought posting it on blogs wouldn't help much.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:33:52 AM »

Well, unless you've got some political contacts in high places, spreading awareness about the issue is probably all we can do. Shrug

Laserbrain Studios
Christian223
Level 1

DRAGON was robot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »

Governments are getting crazier by the day, taking away liberties as much as they can... it wouldn't be surprising to see it happening soon in other countries too.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »

Does S. Korea have a constitution or equivalent? Can this possibly be constitutional (if the software is not being sold)? Harsh.

Only idea I get (and I'm not convinced it's a good one): Make a bilingual post on the front page, telling Korean game makers who have lost a way to distribute their games to hook up with other fellow game makers (us) to host and post their games here or elsewhere. Something like that.

increpare
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »

Are there any koreanfolk here?  I think AGJ's idea is potentially good. 
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »

I'd definitely be up for that. I've got a bit of bandwidth to spare. But how would it work, exactly? I don't suppose we'd be able to credit the actual game maker, or they'd still get in trouble with the South Korean government? I guess they could just use a pseudonym?

Laserbrain Studios
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »

From what I got, the beef was with the websites 'distributing' those games rather than with the creators.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »

Oh, so if we offer to host the games for them, we'll get in trouble...? Of course, if the game maker remains anonymous, who'll ever be able to tell that it was made by a South Korean. Smiley

Laserbrain Studios
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »

It could be in the Korean language. That'd be a pretty dead giveaway.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »

Oh, so if we offer to host the games for them, we'll get in trouble...?

We don't have to obey the South Korean law. At worst they'd block the website on their end, but come on.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »

It could be in the Korean language. That'd be a pretty dead giveaway.

We could make a bunch of Korean language games, just like the bunch of EDGE games that were made back when. Eh, eh? Grin

Laserbrain Studios
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »

agj is right, we wouldn't be personally affected by it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic