Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:04:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Korean indie gaming scene is being trampled on by Korean law
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Korean indie gaming scene is being trampled on by Korean law  (Read 26764 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »

Great. Then I definitely support the idea of having a banner or something on the front page to let South Korean game makers know that they'll be able to distribute their games here. Maybe we could make a small banner or button that other game makers could place on their site with a short message in Korean that tells a game maker to press the button to get in contact with the owner of the site with regards to distributing a game on said site?

EDIT: But if a non-South Korean site can't get in trouble for distributing a South Korean non-rated game, why can't the South Korean game makers just upload their games to file sharing services themselves?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 01:37:44 PM »

I'm not really sure of the specifics, but I'd imagine south korean game developers would want to distribute their games to other south koreans. Like, if suddenly you weren't allowed to distribute your games to american audiences, I imagine you'd still be pretty upset regardless.

There's also the language barrier. I imagine the vast majority of their games would be in korean, which I believe is a language pretty unique to their country.

And if the rating board decided to block a page here that was distributing their games, they wouldn't even be able to see the feedback they got, if people liked it, and so on.

It's a really shitty situation for them no matter how you slice it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »

Buckle up, 'cause a shit-ton of Korean MMO's are coming to tigsource.
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »

Let's get this on the road. I'll contact the pig-min.com writer (been in touch with him before) and ask if he could translate something for the front page.

Also, as an act of defience, anyone who don't want their name on the game should credit Lee Myung-bak, South Korean president.

EDIT: Done. Now let's hope he's willing to help out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:49:58 PM by Kinten » Logged

Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »

Wow, all this talk of hosting Korean games under the noses of the government makes me feel like I'm hiding refugees or something. Shocked

But yeah, I think that Korean developers should release their games anyway, but say that it was made by Lee Myung-bak.  That would be great.  Or, they could release it under some large umbrella, like "The South Korean Indie Union" where people would know that it's from Korea, but there would be so many people under that title that it would be impossible to find out who to charge?

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
mrkwang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »

Hello there. I'm mrkwang from Pig-Min(http://pig-min.com), Korean Indie Game zine. And now does Pig-Min Agency, which supports some Korean Indie team to go abroad, as Arcshock of [Sand Castle - Prelude] & Turtle Cream of [Cut & Paste] [Sugar Cube].

e-mail : [email protected]
MSN messenger : [email protected]

I don't usually visit TIGsource forum, however I got assist e-mail from Pontus "Kinten" Hammarberg at TIGsource forum & wished to write something about that. You might know basic idea from that reddit link already. However I wrote some reply e-mail to Kinten, and copy & paste that here.

---

Thanks for kind e-mail.

Recently some RPG maker community got closed by GRB, we got really shocked & felt shame, and must work something about that.

In fact, we Pig-Min Agency is planing to some Online Performance against GRB(Gaming Rating Board) in Korea, as making "This is NOT rated by GRB, so you can't play." edition with other local developers. I was thinking about write Press Release in English & spread, nothing is made up yet, anyway.

However I'd like to let you know few things about that.

- This is NOT NEW Law.

Basically, Korean Law says "EVERY GAME must be rated" by GRB or somewhere else like that. And EVERY GAME means Online(MMORPG) / Console(PS3 XBOX360) / Downloadable Casual(Popcap Big Fish Games) / Flash Games (Armor Games style) / Web Games (Tribal Wars style) / Freeware games (Student hobby made with RPG Maker) / ... etc. Of course, even if that Law says so, they don't have to be so harsh.

And the most important part is, they can't & don't rate so well!

They announced to rate Flash Game at Jun. 2007. They got blamed at 2008 'inspection of the administration[government offices] conducted by the National Assembly', as only 0.35% (234 games) were rated from 66,727 Flash Games.

We'd like to communicate about this situation, and do some work about that. Please keep in touch.

e-mail : [email protected]
MSN messenger : [email protected]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:45:53 PM by mrkwang » Logged
increpare
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 06:16:54 PM »

Thanks very much for your post, mrkwang : )

In fact, we Pig-Min Agency is planing to some Online Performance against GRB(Gaming Rating Board) in Korea, as making "This is NOT rated by GRB, so you can't play." edition with other local developers. I was thinking about write Press Release in English & spread, nothing is made up yet, anyway.
I think you might be able to get some people from other countries to contribute to this as well, if you want.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »

I'm on board with this, I'd be willing to host some Korean indie games on my website for sure.

Also: tangential to the current discussion, but I wonder if the Korean indie scene knows about Jordan Magnuson's excellent Freedom Bridge:

http://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/freedom-bridge-windows-free-download-game
mrkwang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »

Thanks very much for your post, mrkwang : )

I think you might be able to get some people from other countries to contribute to this as well, if you want.

Thanks for your kind reply. Not sure exactly yet, however I'd make up something.

I'm on board with this, I'd be willing to host some Korean indie games on my website for sure.

Also: tangential to the current discussion, but I wonder if the Korean indie scene knows about Jordan Magnuson's excellent Freedom Bridge:

http://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/freedom-bridge-windows-free-download-game

Never knew that game before, just tried & got something from that, so I tweeted about that in my pigminkorea twitter. Thanks for letting me know.

Oh man that's really bad, Down with this evil government! Tomorrow I'm sending all my money to Kim Jong Il. Hand Metal Left

Don't send money to him, please.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »

I just sent a line to Costik and the Rock Paper Shotgun crew, with any luck we can get the word out and (hopefully) get this amended.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 11:20:25 PM »

I'm not convinced that just getting the word out will make much of a difference until it makes the larger media (print, TV). But I suppose it's on a step-by-step basis.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 11:52:17 PM »

At the very least this will be brought to the attention of devs (large and small) who would be willing to host Korean indie games.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »

Brilliant! They're making money even off free games! Pure genius!
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 01:28:07 AM »

Makes me happy to know TIGSource is going to do this. Smiley If I had hosting, I'd do it, too.

I hope that South Korea's indie scene can pull through. If not, you may just have to emigrate to another country! Good luck, mrkwang.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 03:27:51 AM »

Show of solidarity for our South Korean brothers in arms! Keep on making those games; Fuck the greedy ratings board. ALL games? That's just plain stupid.

I won't be surprised if a compo springs up out of this the same way it did in Langdell's little schtick.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 03:47:02 AM »

I'm having a hard time seeing how this law can even be enforced with freeware games. Does the South Korean government have a department tasked with playing each and every freeware game out there and finding out whether or not it was made by a South Korean?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
increpare
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »

I'm having a hard time seeing how this law can even be enforced with freeware games. Does the South Korean government have a department tasked with playing each and every freeware game out there and finding out whether or not it was made by a South Korean?
From what I understand, they need to be rated regardless of where the creator is from.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 03:53:04 AM »

I'm more than happy and willing to help host South Korean devs' games. Technically, it won't be hosted on the server that I'm using (at least at the moment -- it's a free thing with limited storage); it's just a dedicated space for them to appear (editing in, doing a write-up, etc.). I have no ads & crap in place either.

The South Korean Games Bridge
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:59:40 AM by György Straub » Logged

mrkwang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 03:53:34 AM »

2 more things about GRB(Korean Gaming Rating Board).

- They want to rate EVERY GAMEs in Korea.

Whether it's made by Korean or not, if it's published in Korea, they want to rate all of them. Including Freeware / Flash Games!

And here comes 1 more.

- Even if game is NOT doing service inside Korean territory, must be rated!

Webgames as O-game / Travian / Tribal Wars were BLOCKED from Korea, because they had Korean language service. Their server was NOT in Korea, their payment system was NOT in Korea, but GRB blocked them all. (For Tribal Wars, got Korean publisher & rated and re-opened by them.) And due to that, GRB now attacks even Steam by Valve!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 03:57:21 AM »

And here comes 1 more.

- Even if game is NOT doing service inside Korean territory, must be rated!

Webgames as O-game / Travian / Tribal Wars were BLOCKED from Korea, because they had Korean language service. Their server was NOT in Korea, their payment system was NOT in Korea, but GRB blocked them all. (For Tribal Wars, got Korean publisher & rated and re-opened by them.) And due to that, GRB now attacks even Steam by Valve!

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing this up.

Still, I think and hope (at least for now, short of a better solution), that the South Korean Government doesn't have the resources to block out / attack EVERYTHING.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic