Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:48:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMRGS Meetup 4
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MRGS Meetup 4  (Read 3536 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:45 AM »

Mount Royal Game Society Meetup 4
September 1st

It was with the joyful blips and blops of Scott Pilgrim’s game soundtrack that the participants of the 4th Mount Royal Game Society were greeted. As usual, the meeting attracted old and new faces, laughs, beer and inexplicable heat. A simple but interesting card was lined up for September first’s meeting. Things kicked off with MRGS’s own Stephen Ascher presenting a few tutorials to help out new comers in the world of video game creation. Ascher demonstrated a few tricks using the Klik & Play game software and moved on to show off some basic tips using Construct. These overview allowed aspiring game creators to see how easily available tools can lead them to “make their own damn game” as Ascher mentioned in his demo.

Following was the “open laptop” session where attendees show their stuff to the rest of the group. The first game to grace the screen was Francis Coulombe’s Non Human. Part of the Action 52 revival project, it was the side-scrolling shooter’s first public appearance and the reception was pretty good. Following was a neat student casual game called Flubs. Designer Nicholas Barrière-Kucharski demonstrated how their concept of mixing up Tetris and Arkanoid turned out to be quite fun and challenging. Created for Quebec City’s Bivouac Urbain game jam last august, Renaud Bédard and Aliceffekt’s Cloud is a lie was next to take the spotlight. Finally, the entire group participated in quick rounds of Dominique Ferland’s Geek Mind before wrapping up the event.

On top of new developers coming to the meeting, a few members of Ottawa’s Dirty Rectangles also dropped by to see what their french neighbours were cooking. Roughly 30 game aficionados and developers from all fields attended the meeting. This goes to show that the Montreal indie scene is quite alive and that the mouth-to-ear regarding MRGS is starting to spread around the entire local biz.  So if you are in the Montreal area or nearby and interested in video games, don’t be shy to come by the next meeting. MRGS is also looking for people to give talks and showcase their work. If you think you can contribute, don’t be shy to step forward! Simply contact MRGS gurus Nick or Stephen or visit Mount Royal Game Society 's website for more information!

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:56:52 AM »

Also Nihilocrat showed off his space combat rts game that was looking promising. I think theres another game forgotten in there too, but I cant put my finger on it...

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:47:09 AM »

Oh I missed it then. I'll edit it. What's the name of his game? Thanks! Smiley

Six
Level 0

bumblin' bones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »

The one Nihilocrat demoed was "Her Majesty's Royal Space Armada," which he's been devlogging about over here. The other omission was an outer-space tower defence game, of which I can recall neither the name nor the creator's identity right now  Embarrassed
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »

Earth Commander something something? I am pretty sure I saw a devlog / feedback page for it around here somewhere...

j0d1
Level 0

indie@montreal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »

I think theres another game forgotten in there too, but I cant put my finger on it...

It was my game ! I showed it at the near end of the event Sad (my fault really, the original backbuffer was 1280x720 which caused problems on the projector so I had to edit it and recompile it on the spot)

I\'m currently making the game Commander.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic