Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:41:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallProbe L
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Probe L  (Read 6071 times)
Tadeon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:47:26 AM »

Probe L is arcade/puzzle game. You can navigate your probe by moving the cursor over beacons. If you hold cursor over the beacon only a moment your probe will stop. You can also stop your probe by clicking left mouse button. Later in the game you can collect upgrades to your cursor (e.g Reflector, Teleport and Paralyzer). With these abilities you can clear all kinds of obstacles. Game contains 21 levels each including hard mode variant and an unlockable Plus campaing. The whole game is controlled by mouse movements. The aim of the game is simple: You just have to collect all diamonds from each level.

Download:
Indie database

Screenshots:
Movable beacons
Flavus, level 2
Boss

Youtube videos:

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

Edit. Review in Play this thing -site: http://playthisthing.com/probe-l
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:50:45 AM by Tadeon » Logged

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:47:02 AM »

I've hardly started playing, I was compelled to pause to come back to comment: the music is bloody brilliant, and it helps create a great atmosphere.

What is this made in?

EDIT 1: controls. Unusual scheme; out of context it isn't bad or good, and I feel that the powerups work in a way of 'filling it up' (making it good).

I could not decide if it was better if the probe had some friction, i.e. didn't retain its speed if the mouse wasn't over a beacon.

One thing that should probably help getting used to the controls and provide some more feedback on what is going to happen is to draw a line between the probe and the cursor to indicate which direction is it going to move; if the cursor is over the beacon, make the line brighter / more visible.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:05:22 AM by György Straub » Logged

Tadeon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »

Thanks. I made this game with MMF2. I did consider to add some friction to the probe but eventually I find this one better. I think it is more interesting to use power ups at the same time when the probe is moving. If I some day decide to make a sequel to the Probe L, I will try your suggestions.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »

I guess my post was a bit rushed; I hope it didn't feel too harsh.

Nevermind what I said about the friction; I've just realized that the left mouse stops the probe, which is quite a relief.

I loved what's at the end of world 1.

I've tried the later worlds and although the difficulty is a bit unforgiving (there is Hard Mode? D=), the powerups work well towards keeping the game interesting. On the difficulty note, though, I sometime felt that what I achieved in the game was more due to luck than skill.

That's all I've got to say; it was a really interesting experience, in the good way, and I'll be looking out for the sequel.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »

Really nice implementation! I like the music, and the graphics are neat in a minimalistic way. The gameplay is also very clever and well implemented.

Some of the levels feel a bit too spacy, I felt a couple of times that the level might've been better with less diamonds and a bit tighter game area. This was especially present in the first levels.

All in all, I really like this. Smiley This might also work rather well with the MMF 2 flash porter, seeing that it's fully mouse-driven!

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »

I realy liked the idea and it's implementation. Didn't get far since I don't have time, but it realy looks nice overall. So nice to see something fresh Smiley

Good job

Tadeon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback!  Smiley

Some of the levels feel a bit too spacy, I felt a couple of times that the level might've been better with less diamonds and a bit tighter game area. This was especially present in the first levels.

I wanted players to get used to the controls before the levels get harder, that's why the early levels are large and there are quite many diamonds to collect.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic