Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:24:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallLoneliness: an experimental notgame (open source - FlashPunk)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Loneliness: an experimental notgame (open source - FlashPunk)  (Read 9649 times)
Jordan
Level 1

One time known as Flaming Pear.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »

Loneliness

An experimental, minimalistic, micro notgame (enough adjectives? Shocked) about loneliness, made for the Korean middle school students I taught for a year. Not much else to say  Smiley

Play now in your browser at:
http://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/loneliness/flash

Download source (FlashPunk):
http://www.necessarygames.com/weblinks/goto/126

Screenshots:

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »

Hey, I think I get it!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:43:40 PM »

See also A Day in the Life of Rod Humble Extreme HD Edition.

On my first playthrough I thought that the metaphor is that whenever you try to get close to someone they always run away, but the speed of their flight and the fact that you're breaking up their cliques makes it feel more like they're fleeing in terror. Now I'm beginning to think that the player character is some outside force that actively seeks to split up social groups leaving the individual members broken and lonely.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »

Quite like the joyful patterns the dots are arranged in.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »

i can move left and right but not up and down, is this normal? i cant seem to do anything

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »

On my first playthrough I thought that the metaphor is that whenever you try to get close to someone they always run away, but the speed of their flight and the fact that you're breaking up their cliques makes it feel more like they're fleeing in terror. Now I'm beginning to think that the player character is some outside force that actively seeks to split up social groups leaving the individual members broken and lonely.

...or he smells really REALLY bad

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »

Best theory so far.
Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »

Best theory so far.

Haha, I like both these theories Smiley. Indeed, the original intention is what you thought, Noyb, though I confess that my implementation may be far from ideal. I think there are multiple dimensions of loneliness, and this notgame is definitely meant to convey one of its more active incarnations in the psyche (the fact that loneliness sometimes makes you feel like a powerful monster - see my reply to John Evans here). That being said, it may simply have missed its mark.

i can move left and right but not up and down, is this normal? i cant seem to do anything

Hm... the camera moves with your vertical movement, so it's true that your avatar should remain at the same y coordinate on the screen. But you should see other characters coming closer to you as you move up. If that's not happening, something is definitely wrong... can I ask what OS and browser you're on?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »

yeah, the other dots don't move up and down when i hold up and down, they just stay stationary, forever. nothing moves up or down.

i'm on vista and in chrome

however, i think the problem may be that i'm using a keyboard from 1985: the ibm model-m, some of its keycodes may be outdated or something; perhaps you're checking for keys differently or something

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:09:51 AM »

If I remember correctly, when I made a game in flash punk, and I had 'up' for jump, (and down for dig') all that did was make the game browser scroll up and down. [although left and right worked ok)

I changed it to Z and X. Unsure if this is related.

And, man, none of the other squares want to make friend with me. I so need a gun. That'll teach them.

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 02:52:38 AM »

If I remember correctly, when I made a game in flash punk, and I had 'up' for jump, (and down for dig') all that did was make the game browser scroll up and down. [although left and right worked ok)
Then you need to click on the game to give it focus.
Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »

yeah, the other dots don't move up and down when i hold up and down, they just stay stationary, forever. nothing moves up or down.

i'm on vista and in chrome

however, i think the problem may be that i'm using a keyboard from 1985: the ibm model-m, some of its keycodes may be outdated or something; perhaps you're checking for keys differently or something

Okay Paul, I've uploaded a new version of the game with WASD also as controls... see if that makes any difference, and we might be able to track down what the problem is Smiley

I changed it to Z and X. Unsure if this is related.

And, man, none of the other squares want to make friend with me. I so need a gun. That'll teach them.

Thanks for the tips, and indeed  Gentleman

I think you're definitely right about the other squares moving away too quickly, Noyb. I've uploaded a new version with slower running away, that doesn't look so much like fear. Thank you for the feedback!

ink.inc
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »

An interesting, if mildly depressing experience.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:56 AM »

Man that's some old keyboard. I'm surprised it's still working.  Shocked

And this really reminds me of highschool! (My parents are bowling balls.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:11:36 PM by KM » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic