Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 01:20:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpace Funeral (Complete Shortish RPG)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Space Funeral (Complete Shortish RPG)  (Read 22599 times)
thecatamites
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:33:05 AM »

Phillip and the Leg Horse set off on a strange and deadly mission to find the legendary City Of Forms from which all things in the world are derived. On their travels they must overcome ghosts, criminals, hyponosis, lions, Draculas, cryptic letters, muscle hedonists, swamp knights, mysterious caves, blood ghouls, grotesque monsters, purple drank and more in order to discover the secret of Space Funeral.

Arrow keys walk, Z interacts, X opens menu, it was made in RPG Maker 2003 but has a standalone download. Please play + give me crits thankyou!!

DOWNLOAD: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/space-funeral/download/3492/

edit: also alt download link http://www.mediafire.com/?7on2h4t9icshgxl
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:20:50 AM by thecatamites » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 06:56:46 AM »

This game has all the charm of an insane asylum.

I like it very much.

The sound track is awesome really fantastically great.  I'm particularly fond of Leg Horse's neck stump.  The background can get pretty choppy when Phillip is moving around.  It's a little strange but I got used to it.  I found some PURPLE DRANK in a wall.

I don't usually like RPGs much but this is pretty cool.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »

This looks great - you have a character called 'the Leg Horse'?! 

I'll give it a go when I have a second.   Gentleman

pgil
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »

I played through the game this morning. It's short, but I really love the messed up world and characters. Excellent choice of music, too.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »

a 45 MB download will take a literal ice age up here, but your graphics look appealing enough to warrant one.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »

I think I'm close to the end and it is completely awesome so far. It's a very creative world that keeps you wanting to play more to see what other types of crazy creatures and places you will come across. Though, I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or not, but close to the very begining of the game I unlocked a special move that seems to kill almost any enemy in one shot, and it doesn't cost anything to use. This makes the battles very easy and I can fly right through the game. I'm thinking about starting over and not using this move at all as it would require me to actually put a little thought into the combat. I haven't had to use any items at all either.

Good job! Love the game!  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

thecatamites
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »

I'm guessing you mean the Mystery Punch skill! Yeah, it's kind of buggy. The Mystery option just makes randomly determined mysterious things happen and was kind of awkwardly tacked on to the generic battle system so it's kind of crude in places. I deliberately tried to make the battles kind of easy though for people who don't care about that stuff and just want to explore so it's not a big part of things to be honest!

Also thanks everyone!! I'm glad you like it

Cheesus
Level 0

sup.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 01:23:41 PM »

That was really well done. This is one of like two RPG Maker games (the other being Ghost of Aliens) that are just so surreal and oozing with vibe that you can't help but play more. I think the RPG Maker scene wouldn't be so dismal if more people actually did their own graphics, had style, and made games that have a smaller, more manageable scope like this. But alas...  Concerned

Also, that Pokemon reference was just lolarific. Bravo!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »

I agree. This is a great game. Usually hearing the words "rpg maker game" make me loathe to play whatever it is, this is definitely an exception. Mighty fine work  Beer!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »

good grief good grief!

hi
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »

I played this game in the throes of sleep deprivation earlier this morning and I loved every second of it. The atmosphere and art style are dementedly lovely -- the game has an undeniable crudeish charm to it. I also chuckled at how Leg Horse seems to use me for his own devices, instead of the other way around. I'm replaying Mother 2 right now but the combat's an utter chore; I actually don't mind playing the battles here. That's saying somethin'.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »

Needs to be frontpaged.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »

would you take offense if i wrote my review in a wannabe-gonzo journalist style? i have enough pigheadishness and enough stimulants to make it so.

thecatamites
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 03:14:35 AM »

That would be great, thanks!

I think the RPG Maker scene wouldn't be so dismal if more people actually did their own graphics, had style, and made games that have a smaller, more manageable scope like this. But alas...  Concerned

Yeah, one of the reasons I actually made this game was to try and show this! I kind of think that the default RPG Maker stuff is so inflexible but easy to pick up and use that it's better to use it as a foundation for short and interesting stuff rather than huge Final Fantasy clone things. Stuff like Ghosts of Aliens and Wilfred the Hero inspired me a lot!

LazyWaffle
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »

This game is friggin' awesome! I like the surreal humor in it, but I can see that you did take it seriously in some aspects. The characters are fun, and I seriously love the music and graphics.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »

Mein Gott.

I just started and I might write more later but THIS MUSIC IS SO GOOD. Love the graphics as well.

MUST become on the front page.

EDIT: In MALICE now, really actually digging the story in what I had originally expected to just be a quirky and insane short RPG. Seriously one of the cooler indie games I've played for being so damned original, going back to play some more now.

EDIT AGAIN: Aaannnd... finished, SUCH a great ending. And again I have to say the music rocked. The only shortfall may be that the game was a bit easy but the whole point for me was just to experience it anyways so I totally enjoyed the fights going by smoothly.

All in all the best game ever made in RPG maker, Good grief do I love it.

And you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 05:52:36 PM by Keyser Soze » Logged
LazyWaffle
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »

Can you upload the sound track? I can seriously see myself listening to some of this stuff outside of the game.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »

Credits at the end, it's all by artists who are not catamite as far as I know.

Actually what the fuck am I saying open the music folder in the game directory it's all there.
thecatamites
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 02:04:54 AM »

Yeah, I forgot to mention it or include a readme but all the music isn't original and was taken from commercial albums. This is morally a bit iffy I know but I kind of liked the almost scrapbook aspect of some RPG Maker games where you sometimes get these drastic tonal or resource shifts as the designer suddenly tries to include something he or she saw or heard recently. All the music can be taken directly from the game Music folder but if you liked it you should check out the albums "Flowers Of Evil" and "7 Trumps From The Tower Cards" by Ruth White, "Electrosonic" by Delia Derbyshire, and "Fourth Dimension" by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, since these are what most of it was taken from and are really good albums in general anyway!

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 05:27:37 AM »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

this is excellent

I couldn't leave the blood cave, is that intentional?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic