Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:19:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)D-Pixel (Version 0.953)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: D-Pixel (Version 0.953)  (Read 58014 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2010, 06:38:12 AM »

EDITED first post to have information on the latest version..

29th November 2015 - D-Pixel version 0.953 released

+ Added palette swatches when over a tile in the tilemap window, or when the mouse cursor is over a tile in the canvas
    + Status bar at the top now shows the tile number the mouse cursor is over in the canvas, as well as the total number of tiles
    + Selecting a tile from the tilemap window now changes the paint mode to the standard paint mode as well
    + Drawing over multiple tiles with one drawing action is now possible, the tiles are individually mapped to the other locations in the image
    + Added optional tile palette on/off button in the tilemap icon bar. This can be set to 2, 4, 8 or 16 colour tile palettes, and when enabled means that the same tile in different palette is not added to the tilepalette, changes to a tile are mapped while keeping the original colours, and full tiles are changed to a new palette if drawn on
    + Fixed error where holding down control for the eyedropper and moving off canvas left the mode enabled when control was released. This also stopped icons being clickable until the mouse cursor was moved back over the canvas
    + Added a little blue tint to some of the grey colours in the user interface
    + Fixed an issue where the fill tool would sometimes not work
    + Made loading and saving DPX images (and as a consequence the workspace images) much quicker
    + Added smoothing to mouse cursor used when typing text in the font tool
    + Made the text cursor flash much faster in the font tool
    + Fixed mouse cursor not turning back to the arrow graphic when off the canvas in the font tool
    + Added help text when using the font tool
    + Integrated the Tixel library into D-Pixel so I can customise for D-Pixel if needed

http://www.retroidea.com/D-Pixel.zip

[/list]
    « Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:21:34 AM by happymonster » Logged
    JoGribbs
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:04:54 AM »

This is very nice, certainly quite nice in terms of UI. The patterned brush tools are also pretty cool.

The mouse tends to drag a bit, and I'm having difficulty doing simple things like 'picking up' parts of the drawing and setting the grid options.
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »

Thanks for trying it. Smiley

When you say the mouse drags, do you mean that it's not accelerated enough, or the frame rate is too low? Can you explain what you are having problems with in picking up parts of the drawing in a brush or setting the grid options? Maybe I can help, or this needs tweaking.. Smiley
    JoGribbs
    « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »

The cursor just takes a moment to catch up with where I'm pointing the mouse.

As far as picking stuff up, I mean like, highlighting a portion of the picture and dragging it somewhere else. I understand I can pick it up with the brush tool and then erase the section afterwards, but it seems like an unnecessary step.

At this point I'm finally starting to get the hang of all the brush options though, which are pretty awesome.
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »

Ah.. The brush pickup side is the same as used in programs like DPaint and Personal Paint on the Amiga. It may be a different way of working than what you are used to? If you drawing the image copy/cut out box with the right mouse button instead of the left then the old part of the image is cleared with the right mouse button pen colour.

I'm not sure about the slow-down, I test a lot on my netbook and it runs fine on this..?

For the grids, currently they are only show up on colour 0 (need to add this as changable!) so if you fill the background with black they should show up if you have a grid on.

Hope that helps!
    Pineapple
    Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »

Very cool. I like it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »

Thanks! There is a lot I still need to add, and some niggles to fix. Still it's usable now and the paint modes like colour replace have already saved tons of time when I did an edit earlier tonight. Smiley
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »

i'm now off on holiday, so will do more on this when i get back..
    Skofo
    Level 10

View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »

Oh wow, now this is interesting. I've been thinking lately about how to go about making a pixel art program, and this has stuff that I'd never think of! I love the interface, especially the multiple view system. I'm actually kind of envious of your ingenuity.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    RotateMe
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:00:20 AM »

This looks pretty neat and actually usable. What would really make a good feature would be some easy pallette editing tools, such as saving and loading pallettes and especially exchanging the current pallette you use on an image, meaning if you load a new pallette, every color that was used of the old pallette gets replaced by the color at the same field of the new pallette. I hope that made sense...
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »

Thank you Skofo, that's nice to hear!

RotateMe: That does make sense and I do intend to have more palette options, such as loading/saving, remapping for brushes and other images, etc.. Smiley
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »

Update:

v 0.53 - 2nd October 2010
    ----------------------------
    + Changed default left and right mouse buttons on Effect primitive tool. Now left mouse button just opens up the options, while right mouse button switches to normal paint mode (which is a common operation)
    + Changed order of pens used for colour replace mode as this works better with filling with colour replace mode
    + Removed cursor drawing error when using colour replace mode
    + Hopefully the occasional graphical error when using the inverse crosshair (filled box, brush copy / cut) has now been fixed
    + Fixed errors with scrolling image around, now works properly and much smoother
    + Added fixed line drawing mode which draws in 22.5 degree angle increments, therefore helping with Isometric drawing as well as diagonal and straight lines
    + Made the area where the mouse is detected over an icon larger and added in text area underneath icons to mouse checks as well
    Lord Tim
    Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

Right now, the pixel editor I use most is mtPaint. The main reason I use it is because of the way the selection box works. If you make it so you can place a selection box, and then edit the size of the box before you cut/copy/etc, that would be cool. Also, needs a reverse zooming as well as reverse scroll, or better yet, use the numpad for zooming like mtPaint :D.
    thedaemon
    Level 2

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »

It crashes anytime I try to load a png even though png's are listed in the open drop down box. Everything else is awesome so far. I'm looking forward to animation working so I can test that aspect. Thanks for sharing a very lovely program.
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »

Thanks for letting me know.. do you have a png file that crashes that I can test with? Smiley
    Dead_Modern
    Level 0

Welcome consumers

View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »

Blink  I shall be watching dis thread Mr. H. Monster. Blink

I'm here to tell you about the monoculture.
    thedaemon
    Level 2

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »

Here is a link to one of the said non-loading pngs. I finally got 1 png to load so I guess it's not completely bust.
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 11:25:36 AM »

I'd say it's because that image is a true colour PNG rather than a palette based one. If you reduce to 256 colours in Photoshop or PSP it works ok for me.
    thedaemon
    Level 2

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »

Loads fine in Grafx2. Guess they auto convert the image? Thanks for the input. I don't do Photoshop, image was done in Grafx2.

ps. I enjoy that it saves and recalls my last image even though I might not have saved it. I also like the Amiga style cursor as the icon. Smiley
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:54:40 PM by thedaemon » Logged
    happymonster
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »

Well now.. I'm assuming it was truecolour, I did save as in Chrome which I think preserves the original file format and colour depth!

I was thinking of replacing the arrow icon to be honest, but difficult to fit the full D-Pixel into the smaller versions of tjhe icon. Wink
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic