Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:15:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)D-Pixel (Version 0.953)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: D-Pixel (Version 0.953)  (Read 58519 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »

One of the problems with anti-aliasing pixel art is that to keep the image crisp we really want to add only small amounts of anti-aliasing (compared to anti-aliasing in 3D games)

For example. Consider a black triangle on a white background. Do we anti-alias around the black edges (increasing the size of the triangle), or the white edges? (decreasing the size of the triangle). Games that use post-processing anti-aliasing on the frame buffer do the correct solution of blending the white a little bit, and the black as well (rather than one or the other).

However this means that a diagonal line has anti-aliasing that is 2 pixels thick, and while this still looks ok at HD resolutions, with pixel art it can just look blurry.

With small sprite work every pixel counts, so currently I'm leaning towards having the option to anti-alias favouring darks or lights and let the artist decide what works best for which areas.

Hope that made sense! Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »

I'm feeling like using D-Pixel to do some art for a game.. but I don't know what game or idea to do.  Shrug
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2015, 04:23:47 AM »

Not had much time lately and also pretty tired (teething baby..) but I've finally got Anti-aliasing working OK. I'll have to see if I can improve the routine as it still needs a bit more work to look better.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

Combined the Lighten & Darken paint modes into one new Brightness mode. You can toggle between the two states by pressing the 'T' key.

Made the direction for the Palette Shade paint mode toggleable between left and right too. This means you don't have to use the right mouse button if you don't want too.

Made 3 settings for the Antialias paint mode - Lights, Darks, Balanced. Lights tries to add anti-aliasing around light edges, Darks around dark edges and balanced adds reduced strength anti-aliasing around both light and dark edges (at the cost of looking more blurry).
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »

The three anti-alias filter modes in D-Pixel (Lights/Darks/Balanced). Trying to preserve corners and one pixel lines..

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »

It'd be nice to be able to specify the max number of blend colours the auto AA uses so as to better match one's manual AA.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:26:51 PM by surt » Logged

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: September 06, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »

That's an advanced type of option to possibly add in the future. There is other functionality I want to add to other parts of the programme first.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »

Added a change to the anti-aliasing so that it tries not to use the same colour as the area it's trying to anti-alias. This can happen when you have limited palette entries.

Also fixed a bug where some colour entries could display wrongly in the palette.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »

Fixed an error where multiple icons could sometimes light up when you selected a brush function.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2015, 11:29:22 PM »

Holding down shift when scrolling the mouse wheel on sliders now moves the bar at a x4 speed (thanks for the suggestion Surt)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2015, 11:44:44 PM »

Version 0.93 released - bug fixes, a few new features as detailed here and the new anti-aliasing paint mode.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »

Oppps! Missed a few things off of the download - better re-download if you have v0.93 already.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »

Just managed to implement (into my developmental version) saving and loading the undo stack for DPX images (what are used for the persistent  workspace). This is something I've wanted to add for a while and means the workspace will be truly seamless if you quit the program and later restart. The undo stack is 64 levels long so some images could become much bigger and take longer to load and save, but will give the user more flexibility when using the program.

I may have to add Loading / Saving dialogs at the start and end of the program. At the moment it only saves images which have changed, which should help a bit.

It still needs a lot more testing, but I'm excited to be able add this feature!  Gomez
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »

Added simple progress bar when Loading & Saving the Workspace Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2015, 12:57:32 PM »

Actually, just changed the progress bar to a static text display (Loading or Saving). The progress bar just seemed too distracting.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »

Fixed a stupid error I was making when loading / saving undo stacks which could cause crashes. Shocked
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »

I need to fix some more bugs, and it's hard to find them when trying to just add new features and polish. So I'm going to do some simple game graphics so I can find the bugs that occur when actually using the program properly Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2015, 05:18:15 AM »

When you grab a brush with tile copy the brush handle is now set to the top-left so it is correctly aligned for Grid Drawing.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2015, 05:19:45 AM »

Stopped functions which affect the brush handle (flip, rotate, etc..) from switching the brush handle position from the top-left in tile draw mode.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2015, 07:56:31 AM »

Fixed a bug with drawing lined or checked grid when switching between grid modes

Fixed a bug where lined or checked grid weren't being drawn when in tile mapping mode

Tile mapping mode variable wasn't being saved to the workspace. Now fixed!

Die bugs.. DIE!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic