Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:25:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralOde to a Forum
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ode to a Forum  (Read 5704 times)
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:26:49 AM »

i think that i shall never see
a forum as nice as marathon's story.

i hate webboards, i always have.  loading fifty giant gif signatures just to see fifty people's one line responses.  whoever refreshes the index the most is the loudestfanboy kids off from school spending 3 to dinner chiming in.  usually so inbred and arcane that the community doesn't care how prohibitive new users find it.  i really thought gaming wikis were going to phase this shit out.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:11:41 PM by BMcC » Logged

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »

Mm, Marathon Story. I miss that forum.

progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »

The problem I have with the Marathon's Story forum is the nested insanity. But otherwise I agree with you about most webboards. Part of the problem is the design of the software. I'm not insanely in love with what we're using here, but we wanted to get something up fast and thought we'd give SMF a try. PunBB might have been better, at least it's a bit simpler. 

Part of it isn't the software, but the moderation. Building a good community is like growing a garden and it takes a gardener to do that. Unfortunately we don't really have any moderation policies (that I know of!) that are made to promote a healthy community, but *maybe* we'll do okay winging it.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:13:59 PM »

As far as moderation goes, all I can say is I'll do my best.  Maybe we should set up guidelines or something, but I think common sense can do job.  There are a lot of smart people here, people who care about this place.

Personally, I plan to nurture it like my firstborn son.

EDIT:  Wherever he is...

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »

But where else can you get an amazing Freddie Mercury avatar like the one you have, fartron?  Okay, anywhere, but still... Tongue

The problem I have with the Marathon's Story forum is the nested insanity. But otherwise I agree with you about most webboards. Part of the problem is the design of the software. I'm not insanely in love with what we're using here, but we wanted to get something up fast and thought we'd give SMF a try. PunBB might have been better, at least it's a bit simpler.

PunBB was a little too simple for my tastes, especially in aesthetic.  It feels a bit more lively with some of the options SMF offers.

Part of it isn't the software, but the moderation. Building a good community is like growing a garden and it takes a gardener to do that. Unfortunately we don't really have any moderation policies (that I know of!) that are made to promote a healthy community, but *maybe* we'll do okay winging it.

I think we have a really good start.  This is a good crowd, we're starting by talking about the right things... good mixture of fun and seriousness.  Regarding moderation policies, I think we can just wing it for now.  When a problem comes up that we don't know how to handle, we can figure it out then.
DanDanger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 01:48:51 AM »

i think that i shall never see
a forum as nice as marathon's story.

I thought you were joking, that forum looks like it was made in the 80s. I like all the bells and whistles of a modern forum, I like seeing peoples avatar. I always enjoy a forum more when I can use my gay horse picture.

Embrace the modern world, for it has savable preferences!
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »

I thought you were joking, that forum looks like it was made in the 80s. I like all the bells and whistles of a modern forum, I like seeing peoples avatar. I always enjoy a forum more when I can use my gay horse picture.

You should have seen what it looked like in the 90s!  Straight out of the 70s that forum was.  But fast!  And full of smart people!  And when you only had one line worth of something to say you put *NT* in your subject and people never had to read that one.  Forums aught to be usable on dialup since their medium is text.  But they rarely are.

But where else can you get an amazing Freddie Mercury avatar like the one you have, fartron?

Touché.

I think we have a really good start.  This is a good crowd, we're starting by talking about the right things... good mixture of fun and seriousness.  Regarding moderation policies, I think we can just wing it for now.  When a problem comes up that we don't know how to handle, we can figure it out then.

I think you might be right, but I'm going to remain cynical.  Having someone lean back on the teeter totter might help keep it balanced.  As I said in front page comments, architecture is politics and the architecture of web boards encourage inanity and dittoism.  I like this software, as phpbbs go, and I like this community, I hope it succeeds.

PS - I also like your gay horse picture, Dan.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 08:17:17 PM »

So far I really like this place.
Can't think of anything else to say...

I'm gonna try and further this into a Pixelation for games, so we should be totally honest and helpful in the feedback forum.
I'm probably not making much sense, but Derek knows what I mean.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 08:29:20 PM »

I think you might be right, but I'm going to remain cynical.

Please do!  If it comes out of genuine concern for the community (like it seems to), it'll help keep us vigilant.

But never forget:  Freddie Mercury.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »

I think you might be right, but I'm going to remain cynical.  Having someone lean back on the teeter totter might help keep it balanced.

So if the rest of us jump off now, you'll fall and crush your nuts?

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 09:36:55 PM »

Hope abounds!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 04:00:25 AM »

I think you might be right, but I'm going to remain cynical.  Having someone lean back on the teeter totter might help keep it balanced.

I lol'd. :D
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »

bump

feminazi
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »

i like how mbo/hbo/dbo/whatever bungie fansite still uses that old forum thing
Dragonmaw
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 12:10:05 AM »

i was gonna be mad about this thread necro, but then it was mesh and i was okay
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.