Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:26:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe NEW music challenge
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The NEW music challenge  (Read 16964 times)
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 11:30:15 PM »

oh wow!! this is really great! I love it
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »

Thanks! Yours is good too. Sounds like SOMEONE'S home town got burnt  Smiley

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 06:49:49 AM »

I like what I'm hearing so far!  I'm still working on mine, but it should be up in the next few days.  Once everyone has done one, we should make a new post or something with links to all the pieces put together so other people can come listen without having to hunt through the thread.  Just an idea.

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »

Doesn't sound too tricky. I haven't been around this board much, but if the rules on post editing are open enough I could perhaps edit them into the first post of the thread?

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »

Yeah, if you can do that, that would be great.  I also don't know too much about specific things you can do on the boards, but I can't imagine that being too hard.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 07:09:04 AM »

i use FLstudio.  its a common misconception that you need like big fancy programs to use VSTs.  As long as its in the plugins directory of FLstudio you can just import it as a channel, configure it to a chosen 'port' and then set up midi-out channels to make use of the multi-channel VSTs, or if its just a single-channel, then you can assign a piano roll to it directly. 

the tricky part is finding the worthwhile VSTs T^T

Cool, thanks.  I had heard of FLstudio but I didn't realize how affordable it was.  (I just heard "commercial DAW" and assumed Big Dollar Signs.)

haha you didnt like the second half?

i thought it was fun, cause it was more of a detour from the stuff i normally try to make with music.

I didn't say I didn't like it!  It was just a weird shift from the initial EPIC DRAMA feel of the beginning.  I could totally picture that fitting a game, but I think it'd have to be matched up with a specific in-game event - like there's some epic battle but then halfway through some wacky character comes out and confuses people or something.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 07:23:25 AM »

FLStudio isn't really a "commercial DAW" as much as Logic or ProTools or Cubase is, but it's great for learning the basics.  There's a lot you can do with it, and it's definitely in the right price range.  I use Cubase, but there's still a lot about it that I don't know how to use yet Embarrassed

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 11:52:42 PM »

Okay!  I'm done!

Since fire is one of the elements, I wrote the piece with an organic, tribal feel.  I wanted it to relate to a core of evolution; a driving, powerful mood.  The piece is an action cue, and I kept it to about a minute for the challenge...in the future, we should set a time as well, I think.

Anyway!  Here's the link...enjoy  Grin

Immolatum
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:56:03 PM by RadRuss » Logged

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 06:25:59 AM »

Crap, that is fantastic Russ.  Now whatever I post will look like total cheez.  :D

I had been messing around with a demo of the tracker Renoise, and then realized that I can't export in any useful format from the demo anyway - whoops.  So I'm switching to Musagi for that old-skool chiptunes feel.  Not sure yet if I'll end up getting something fire-inspired made on time, right now I'm just trying to get the hang of it with some random little funky-beat thing I had in my head.

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »

Thanks a lot!  I appreciate the kind words.  But don't be too hard on yourself, I'm looking forward to hearing whatever you put together.  I've really enjoyed this whole project.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 05:11:01 AM »

This entire thread is full of pure amazing. I don't have any talent or experience with music (aside from some crap in pxtone I make once in a while), so I'm afraid I cannot make anything for this.

MAYBE SOMEDAY

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 06:30:04 AM »

OR TODAY. Just do it.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »

I'm going to post something later this week.  BECAUSE I CAN.

I dunno if it'll feel as fire-inspired as I originally thought - it'll depend if I can pull the right instrument sounds out of musagi.  If not I'll just post what I've started now because it sounds kinda cool.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »

Okay, it's getting pretty close to Thursday now and I think it's time to pass the torch. RadRuss, you seem to be pretty enthusiastic about this challenge thingy (plus your track rocked), you wanna do the honors of picking the next theme? Waiting until Thursday would be nice, but I suppose it's not technically REQUIRED.

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 05:36:40 PM »

Yeah, that would be fine with me!  I'll wait until Thursday in case anyone else wanted to get anything up by then (joshg said he might).  Plus, it will give me time to come up with a good idea.

zantifon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 08:48:26 PM »

Wow, all of these songs are really awesome. Great job everybody. Maybe I'll attempt one on the next round...
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:14 AM »

Goodness. Excellent stuff- both in the fact that they're all awesome tunes AND that they make me think of fire. How do you people DO this?

I must be honest, though. Ironically, Fiery Duel sounds like neither fire nor duel to me. Too cheerful and green. Still a fantastic song! Catchy.

I missed this thread when it spontaneously stopped. Thanks for restarting Kobel! I'll be tuning in.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 05:58:40 AM »

Fiery Duel
Made entirely in Reason. Spent a fair chunk of time on it. Still not sure if it's all that fiery, but oh well  :D

This is really excellent. Great work! Grin
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:02:39 AM by Akhel » Logged
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. I'm always a little bit bemused when someone says one of my pieces is cheerful though. I've had like 3 pieces I've considered cheerful over 50 or 100 or however many I've done  :D

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 03:02:25 PM »

Hrm. That's twice my computer has crashed mysteriously while I'm running musagi.  I am displeased.

I don't think I'll get anything done by tomorrow, so if you've got another theme to introduce don't wait on my account.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic