Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:51:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingI remember getting extremely bad critics here, GameVortex gave 89% rating :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: I remember getting extremely bad critics here, GameVortex gave 89% rating :)  (Read 20535 times)
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »

My game Invader Attack, as far as I recall, got very poor comments here.

This is the game:
http://codergames.com/games/gamedetails/windows-game-shooter-invader-attack/

And this is the 89% rating and a review from GameVortex:
http://www.gamevortex.com/gamevortex/soft_rev.php/5190/invader-attack-pc.html

Not bad eh?

Be smart, be brutal, they're invading!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »

Congratulations. You should enter it into the IGF.

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:45:32 AM »

Thanks David. What is IFG?

Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 04:54:00 AM »

I think you recall wrong.
Only even remotely negative thing I could find about the actual game(disregarding compatibility problems) was
Even more dickish than Jonathan's reply- sorry.

Found it fun enough to play through the demo, though I have zero desire to see more. No way I'd throw down money for this.

I wouldn't exactly call that very poor comment, would you? Wink
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 05:52:21 AM »

There was some guy whose job is to trash other peoples games, since he's unable to make games by himself, I'm guessing its a complex of some sort and we exchanged several comments, he got pissed or something and the whole thread was locked by moderator. That guy even has a blog for trashing the games, can't remember the url. Its all vague for me now, so don't ask me to recall everything that happened, but I do recall my game and my site being trashed by someone who was highly incompetent in both of those areas. And there was a single "not bad" comment, probably the one you're referring to.

Invader Attack has 3 reviews that I'm aware of ... I already posted the link to the page with reviews, its in the first post and neither of them is bad, actually.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:58:42 AM by codergames » Logged

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »

Well, if nothing else, remember two things:

A) You're presenting your game to two very different cultures for their review; hence different responses,
and B) It's the internet, so someone's inevitably going to be a huge jerk, at which point you'll need to be the better man.

To elaborate on the second one, I think the game development community tends to like different games than the general population, meaning a game aimed for commercial success won't necessarily please developers, and a game well-liked by developers won't necessarily meet with commercial success.

Also, I don't know how active you've been in this community, but people who only really come around to promote their games (particularly commercial ones) tend to get the cold shoulder.  My understanding is that with that project you initially committed the faux pas of not introducing yourself first.

My two cents.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »

I'm only coming here to promote my commercial games, I honestly didn't know that its such a big problem for the ego of other developers. My games may be commercial, but are cheap, at least, that's what people and customers keep saying all the time.

You're a developer, you don't mind, you're providing quite normal responses, not trashing my site or my games. So, the problem is obviously in those other guys.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »

I'm only coming here to promote my commercial games
And that's the problem. This is a community, not your personal advertising board.
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »

But I was joking! And when you ask for a feedback about the game, what else can it be?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »

It seems less like a joke when I browse through your post history and see you have 5 topics started and only 84 posts, the bulk of which is dedicated to your own games.  Shrug
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »

I'm a new member here. I started as an indie in April this year, what else could a talk about? I spend a lot of time making games, that's what I do, that's what I'm usually talking about. Seems to bother you, why?

Ok, so, its a joke in a joke, its even funnier.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »

I don't see what the problem is. You asked for feedback, you got some feedback. If that feedback wasn't what you wanted it to be, sorry. If we had the magic formula as to what made a game popular, we wouldn't be giving it away.

And seriously, you shouldn't expect a lot of compliments in this business aside from your friends. And since you are way too busy to make friends with us...

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »

I was merely pointing out that I got zero good feedback here while I already got 3 really good reviews for that game. That's all.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »

the purpose of the feedback forum isn't complements. the purpose is to point out where your game can improve upon. that's what the feedback forum is intended for! if someone posts a complement in the feedback forum, they're not using the forum as intended, it's intended to be a way for you to improve your game by having people point out areas of your game that can be improved.

i'd even say that *most* games in the feedback forum get no complements and just comments like the ones you got. it's just that, because you're unfamiliar with these forums, that you mistook 'suggestions about how to improve' as negative reviews. that forum isn't about rating your game on a scale from one to ten or something. reviews on sites *are* about that.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »

I think I'm detecting a hint of a persecution complex here.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »

This reminds me of DeviantArt.
Plattfisk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »

This reminds me of DeviantArt.

Or the funny threads on ConceptArt.org with people from DeviantArt.
A similiar clash of communities I guess.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »

What Paul said.  Game developers, when asked for feedback, should keep praise to a few words at most and give as much criticism as possible.  I have two boards in my game's forum for my users to tell me about all the things that are wrong with it--and there are many!

That's what this forum is for, and regarding advertising your games, it's pretty useless to do so here.  As a game developer, I understand I'm like most other game developers in that I don't play games often.  The last time I bought a game was weeks ago, and I only really set the time aside for experiences I think I'll find meaningful (eg, Blue Lacuna) or games I think will give me insight as a developer. (eg, Braid)

You can't expect to sell your paintings to the other impoverished painters unless they're quite good or quite artist-oriented.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make a punching bag of you, just making a point.  It's my hope you continue to participate in TIGsource; there are a lot of neat people here and a lot can be learned.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Frank Griffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »

I liked the game.  I probably would have shown some major damage to the big ships instead of them still looking new and sliding off the screen.

I am actually writing a game myself and would be interested to know how much revenue a game like yours would produce.  I am looking for just a ball park figure.  I do not need to know yours in particular but my game is an asteroids kinda game so it would be similar to yours. 

I should probably post a demo of what I have done so far.

My email is [email protected]
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »

If i posted in feedback i'd want:

"Your interface is a bit too cluttered and the menus are confusing."

not

"THIS GAME IS SWEET!"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to: