Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:36:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingI remember getting extremely bad critics here, GameVortex gave 89% rating :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: I remember getting extremely bad critics here, GameVortex gave 89% rating :)  (Read 20533 times)
iffi
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

Thanks David. What is IFG?
IGF.

I don't quite understand what the purpose of this topic is.
ink.inc
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »

Thanks David. What is IFG?
IGF.

I don't quite understand what the purpose of this topic is.

The purpose of this topic is to tell us we have bad taste in games. Also that we are terrible human beings.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

the purpose of this topic is:

"You guys said I wasn't perfect, but guess what, I'm 89% perfect! Take that critics who were trying to only help me! Hope you feel bad for being honest instead of stroking my ego."

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 01:17:46 AM »

I liked the game.  I probably would have shown some major damage to the big ships instead of them still looking new and sliding off the screen.

Thanks man, and I agree, but it was kinda urgent for me to wrap up the whole project. In the sequel there will be scrolling, shaders and effects and other stuff. But the permanent damage to the background is a nice touch as one of the reviewers said (not here).

I am actually writing a game myself and would be interested to know how much revenue a game like yours would produce.  I am looking for just a ball park figure.  I do not need to know yours in particular but my game is an asteroids kinda game so it would be similar to yours.

I like the game called "Cancer Wars" presented here on this forum. Its very close to asteroid type of game, maybe you should take a look. I think I commented on it in the feedback or the topic where you rate someone's game name.

The revenue depends on how well you promote your game. I had a pretty good going during May, but then it fell to no downloads and no sales. The last sale I got was a month ago. I'm guessing there will be some sales now and then, but that's it. Its not enough for a sequel, so I'm hoping, as the site gets more and more visited, the game will generate enough money during next year for me to, at least, start the sequel. Invader Attack is a small project.

I should probably post a demo of what I have done so far.

Definitely, I'm curious too. I wanted to make an asteroid type of the game, because its the simplest to do and it would take 1-2 months or so as opposed to 8-9 months that it took me to make Invader Attack, mostly because of advanced artificial intelligence that learns your preferences, tactics and moves and improves itself.

The purpose of this topic is to tell us we have bad taste in games. Also that we are terrible human beings.

Hehehe, exactly Smiley

Be smart, be brutal, they're invading!
LazyWaffle
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »

I like how you ignore all the posts that completely disprove you, and instead break apart a tiny spam post Giggle
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:45 AM »

oh dude! I love Invader Attack! I can't believe you're the guy who made it, that's so awesome. What a great game, you did great making it and I'm so glad you made it. A++, would play again!

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 11:22:29 AM »

Now you're talkin  Cheesy ... more more, please Smiley

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »

Oh man, invader attack totally saved my bacon. I was late to work, and my bike tire was flat, but after I rubbed my bike on my monitor screen, while Invader Attack was playing, not only did it heal my bike tire, but my bike evolved into a totally sweet moped as well!

Thanks invader attack!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »

Ok, so you got a good review.

That don't impress me much! So you.. got the game.. but have you.. got the touch?

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »

You should try my other games maybe you'll win a lottery or something Smiley

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »

Without making a dick of myself, I'll say what needs to be said here.

Developers != gamers.

Developers have different standards of quality than gamers.

Developer communities are not a place to sell games, but can be a place to promote them if done tactfully with primary reliance on the quality (from a developer standpoint) of the game in question.

Praise is useless as feedback, and developers should learn to be harsh critics of one another, especially when working in teams.

In this community, games get love for novel game mechanics, interesting aesthetic and aural styles, deep thematic elements or attempts at them, or sheer strangeness.  Games which don't seem very different from existing games get little love and indeed, little attention.

Here is feedback from me.  First impressions of your game, from the website, were as follows:

- Seeing "invaders" in the name
- Generic, grey 3D models and tiled backgrounds
- Particle effects
- Stock music and sound (evidently)
- Space invaders-like shmup gameplay

The only particularly distinguishing things might be the physics (and physics has ceased to wow in the developer community) and the AI, which may well be brilliant but can't be appreciated, evidently, without playing for a long time.  Static, handmade patterns might make the enemies seem less sluggish and wouldn't have been months of programming to implement.

As a developer, I generally wouldn't be interested enough to download and play the game if it was free.  Since it's shareware I won't bother even in my current position.

I'm not the one in the line of fire here, Alex, but I'd advise you to try and ignore the dickery about you and handle this situation objectively.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

The main problem here is that only developers who made poor games trashed my game. Again, it might be the complex issue.

- hull is usually gray
- there are no tiles in the game
- all the years of graphic and music school to go wasted on some crappy stock music, I don't think so, you should check out the credits
- sorry but Space Invaders don't attack, have artificial intelligence that learns your moves and improves itself

There's nothing to defend here, I expect to hear comments from someone who made a good game, but thanks anyway.

RyanT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »

The main problem here is that only developers who made poor games trashed my game. Again, it might be the complex issue.

There's nothing to defend here, I expect to hear comments from someone who made a good game, but thanks anyway.

May I ask why?

Are those who are not developers or have yet to make a game in the quality that you approve of not worthy enough of giving criticism? Your argument is just as silly as: "You cannot speak to me because your IQ is substantially lower than mine. I only expect to communicate with those who have an IQ equal to or greater than mine."

Hint: If you want a commercial game to sell well, other than making a non-generic game, I suggest working on your "public relation" skills. Why should I buy your game if my comments on it will be given no merit? If you want a better game, you'll need to listen to the criticism given by the community, they are your potential customers.

But maybe we've been doing it wrong this whole time. Perhaps, we should only give people compliments. codergames, I love your game, the graphics are commercial quality and I have yet to find any game play similar to it. Nice job. Beer!

http://www.terrortreehouse.com
A collection of science fiction short stories by Ryan Taylor.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »

- hull is usually gray
- there are no tiles in the game
- all the years of graphic and music school to go wasted on some crappy stock music, I don't think so, you should check out the credits
- sorry but Space Invaders don't attack, have artificial intelligence that learns your moves and improves itself

Wow. That kind of attitude is very uncool. If you can't take constructive criticism, go somewhere else. These people tried to help you, and you shit on their feedback and make fun of their games.
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »

Here we go again with the "constructive criticism" term. What is a constructive criticism for you? Is it when you trash someone's game and expect no response to it? Would you like me to tell you how great your constructive criticism is?

This reminds me of that tread that got locked. There were these "developers" providing "constructive criticism" all over the place. And now when I got a lot of good reviews, they're nowhere to be found. What happened? I'd like to see how well their games are rated and reviewed, if rated and reviewed at all Smiley

LazyWaffle
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »

This is beyond repair. If you don't want feedback on your game, don't post your game in the damn feedback section Facepalm
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »

Can't believe this. I already got feedback here long time ago, that's the reason why I started this topic ... duh! Smiley

LazyWaffle
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »

Can't believe this. I already got feedback here long time ago, that's the reason why I started this topic ... duh! Smiley
So you started a thread in the feedback section because you already got feedback and no longer need it?

Makes perfect sense! Durr...?

For the record, you never really took the feedback you got a while ago, you just said everyone else was wrong and you started calling everyone evil or something.
RyanT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 12:57:12 PM »

Here we go again with the "constructive criticism" term. What is a constructive criticism for you? Is it when you trash someone's game and expect no response to it? Would you like me to tell you how great your constructive criticism is?

This reminds me of that tread that got locked. There were these "developers" providing "constructive criticism" all over the place. And now when I got a lot of good reviews, they're nowhere to be found. What happened? I'd like to see how well their games are rated and reviewed, if rated and reviewed at all Smiley

I gave this thread a quick skim-over, I have not found anyone insulting/trashing your game. I am starting to believe you are pulling stuff out of you know what. Can you please provide some posts that are trashing your game? If you cannot, stop saying such a thing continues to occur. Thank you.

If you only came here to receive good reviews, you should have made your intentions clear in the first place. Here is a tip for next time, add this to your thread: "I cannot handle anyone saying something remotely negative about my game or the process I go about asking for "reviews". When I ask for reviews, what I am actually asking for are bias reviews, I only want reviews praising my game. If you think my game needs some work, do not reply. If you have not created a good game, do not reply. And now I present... Space Invaders!"

http://www.terrortreehouse.com
A collection of science fiction short stories by Ryan Taylor.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »

@codergames

yes, but this topic exists, by your own admission, to:

1) attack the people who gave feedback to your games, saying that they were obviously wrong because your game got a relatively high review score on some site

2) make fun of the games those people made, saying they made bad games and how dare they criticize your game

this isn't what the feedback forums are for, this thread doesn't belong in this subforum and probably is out of place on tigsource at all, since it's just a thread about attacking people who were willing to help you out by replying to your feedback thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic