Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:24:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingI remember getting extremely bad critics here, GameVortex gave 89% rating :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: I remember getting extremely bad critics here, GameVortex gave 89% rating :)  (Read 20536 times)
RyanT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »

I'm not backed up by some monopolistic indie game community, blog machinery, that's trying to sell s*** as something beautiful.

Yes, because everyone here buys any users game that is being sold. That is our goal, to obscure the sales to make their game actually look good. We should do the same for you, to make your game look good, it really needs our help!

http://www.terrortreehouse.com
A collection of science fiction short stories by Ryan Taylor.
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »

Codergames.  It is very possible that your games are great (I have not played them) but, as iffi said, they are not perfect.  Some people like them, yes, and this is awesome.  It shows that you have done something right.  But you could still do some things better.  Nobody here wants your games to fail (okay, well, I guess I can't speak for the entire community).  We wouldn't be giving you feedback if we didn't want you to improve.  We all want to see more and better indie games, and we are trying to help you along.  Many of the people giving suggestions have more experience than you, and while they might seem hostile, their advice should at least be considered rather than flat-out rejected because you perceive a conspiracy amidst us all.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
iffi
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »

Since when were we a "monopolistic indie game community"?
I understand you're angry at us, but there's no reason to say things like that. If you're doing well, then that's good for everybody - nobody here is wishing you to fail, though your posts here aren't helping your image.

You got several pretty nice reviews, but that doesn't mean everybody has to love your game. Look at the mainstream games industry - even blockbuster hits like Halo (first game that came to my mind), which become extremely popular and receive generally positive reviews, aren't perfect. Not everybody loves Halo (in fact, many people hate it), but that doesn't mean the critics are "wrong" or conspiring to see Bungie fail.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »

TIGsource is the indie illuminati.

This guy reminds me a lot of Adam Coate, except he self-censors the word shit a lot. Also uses the phrase "full of shit" a lot, and seems to think that a good review negates all other feedback.

This is the funniest thread I've read in a while. Keep it coming, Codergames!
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »

Wait a second ... I got zero good feedback here and now, I got 3 good reviews and ratings from other sites ... seriously, if you claim to be able to provide something as complex as "constructive criticism" and not capable of understanding something as simple as that, then that just might be the source of the problem. That just might be the reason why your "constructive criticism" is a pile of *hit.

Be smart, be brutal, they're invading!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »

Keep posting, our satellites are zeroing on your street adress and very soon you'll receive a visit from our black ninjas har har har...(*sound of teaspoon in cup of tea*)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »

Wait a second ... I got zero good feedback here and now.

Good feedback is pretty useless unless you're doing A/B testing.

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2010, 01:45:21 PM »

So you keep repeating same, you know what, over and over again ... why did I start this topic? To show all other developers that they should not ask for a feedback. And you should put a sticker on this board linking to this topic so that everyone could just see for themselves. This is hard to explain, so a practical example of your doings is a nice way to welcome new developers to this super community of "constructive criticism" experts.

Be smart, be brutal, they're invading!
iffi
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »

Wait a second ... I got zero good feedback here and now, I got 3 good reviews and ratings from other sites ... seriously, if you claim to be able to provide something as complex as "constructive criticism" and not capable of understanding something as simple as that, then that just might be the source of the problem. That just might be the reason why your "constructive criticism" is a pile of *hit.
So you're saying that the right thing for us to have done is to say that your game is perfect and that there's no possible way you could improve it? The purpose of the feedback forum is to expose and focus on the game's weaknesses, not its weaknesses. A review ideally focuses on both, though it depends on the reviewer.
The fact that not everybody liked your game shows that, well, not everybody likes your game. The three good reviews you've gotten so far show that not everybody hates your game. They do not say that your game is perfect.

Edit:
So you keep repeating same, you know what, over and over again ... why did I start this topic? To show all other developers that they should not ask for a feedback. And you should put a sticker on this board linking to this topic so that everyone could just see for themselves. This is hard to explain, so a practical example of your doings is a nice way to welcome new developers to this super community of "constructive criticism" experts.
Do you honestly think that your game is perfect? That it can't be improved? If you think your game is good enough as it is, then fine, maybe you don't need to ask for feedback. But if you want to improve, you need feedback.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2010, 01:52:49 PM »

Jesus Christ on steroids, what does feedback has to do with your reviews? Feedback is meant to tell you where you can improve, a review is to rate what you have already done. What of it you can't understand? If you want praise and not criticism then just begone, because this is not the place for it.
I also don't get why the reviews are supposed to tell me what is good and what's not. If I don't like something then even a 100% review won't change it.

Oh, and I don't like your game, it looks like thousands of other shmups and I never liked the genre.

eva
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »

codergames started the recession
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »

codergames started the recession, codergames is personally responsible for the recession

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »

Here are two new members posting their game and receiving feedback: The Tiny Bang Story and Empire.  Notice how they respond to feedback in a calm, accepting manner.  Notice how they do not accuse anyone of conspiracies or hatred and are just all-around friendly people.  This is what we expect from members of this site and this is why we are irritated with you.  It's not your game, it's not your website, it's your attitude.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »

And you should put a sticker on this board linking to this topic so that everyone could just see for themselves. This is hard to explain, so a practical example of your doings is a nice way to welcome new developers to this super community of "constructive criticism" experts.

Well, I think that everyone except you understand what a feedback forum is for, so a sticker was never needed. But if there are more self indulged jerks like you out there, then maybe we should really make it a sticky topic to scare them off.

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »

codergames is both the first and the second coming

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »

No... codergames started the recession.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
iffi
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »

I just took a look at one of the reviews you got, and sure enough, the reviewer doesn't think it's perfect either:
It's not (usually) a fast-paced shooter though and some levels feel a little too sedate or perhaps even cerebral, which may put off thrill-seekers but make it ideal for those who feel shoot-'em-ups should be about more than simply mashing your fire button.
If you had listened to and accepted feedback, you could have solved this before releasing your game. Maybe you could have gotten an 8 or 9 out of 10 in that review instead of a 7, at least in the opinion of those looking for faster-paced action.
The fact that you did not get positive reception on your game here does not mean that we think nobody will like your game - it just means that everybody who bothered commenting believed the game could be improved.

If you still refuse to accept the fact that your game isn't perfect, and that we're only trying to help you make it better, then fine, you can remain that way, but don't get in the way of others trying to improve their games.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:13:18 PM by iffi » Logged
LazyWaffle
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2010, 02:15:03 PM »

So you keep repeating same, you know what, over and over again ... why did I start this topic? To show all other developers that they should not ask for a feedback.
And yet, look at the other topics in this forum. They actually end up improving their games, because they're able to take criticism and use it to better the game. Nobody acts hostile towards them because they realize that they aren't perfect, and they don't snap at people for saying anything remotely negative about their game.

I'm sure that if you offer everyone an apology, nobody would hold grudges and you might be able to become a respected member of the community, but if you're not willing to change then you should just leave.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »

oh dude! I love Invader Attack! I can't believe you're the guy who made it, that's so awesome. What a great game, you did great making it and I'm so glad you made it. A++, would play again!
Now you're talkin  Cheesy ... more more, please Smiley

I'm interested in some more feedback. Did you like my feedback? What would you rate it?

ps. I rate your game a 10/10 GOTY.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

I rate it 10 Game-of-the-Years out of 5 Game-of-the-Years! 100% better than perfect!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic