Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:05:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHartacon Tactics - Beta on STEAM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Hartacon Tactics - Beta on STEAM  (Read 31561 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »

I salute your efforts.
If you'd like to do a PSM port, let's talk.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »

Yes, it's XNA

I know you have been at it for a long time, but have you seen this:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185894/Its_official_XNA_is_dead.php

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »

I know you have been at it for a long time, but have you seen this:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185894/Its_official_XNA_is_dead.php

I'm not worried. I should publish this year.

I salute your efforts.
If you'd like to do a PSM port, let's talk.

I'll remember that. Smiley

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »

whaaa this is gorgeous

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:45 AM »

The Indiegogo campaign is going really slow, and I mean ssslllloooowwww.
I guess either the project is not appealing, or the presentation is poor, or the perks are not interesting...
Any advice, guys?

I don't know if you're still interested in this, but I've come across your IndieGoGo campaign a couple of times, and each time decided not to back it. There's two big reasons why:

- The game seems to be multiplayer only, which makes me much less interested in it. One only has to look at the fuss The Banner Saga had when they released Factions to see that there's a significant proportion of the audience for this kind of game which is completely uninterested in multi-player games; I know I am!
(For what it's worth: a big part of it is that a significant proportion of the people I've ever gamed with over the Internet have been obnoxious dicks, but an equally big part of it - for me at least - is that this kind of game can take a while to get through a round of, and it's a bit unfair on the other player if something comes up and I have to leave the game unfinished.)
I realise that a competitive multiplayer game may be your core vision and you may not want to go to the hassle of implementing a single-player campaign, and this is more of a personal-preference thing on my part, but I for one would be far more interested if there were at least an option to play the same competitive-multiplayer option against AI enemies rather than people over the Internet.

- The rewards seem... well, to be blunt: completely uninteresting. I don't know, maybe there are some people who get excited at the thought of little digital badges next to their username in a game, but it doesn't say "return on investment" to me. The only other thing - the shopping discount - veers towards pay-to-win, which puts me off the project as a whole rather than interests me to give you money.

It's been said before on this thread, but I think it bears reiterating: I don't think I can remember a single time I've seen a KS campaign succeed when one of the rewards was not "a copy of the product I'm asking for your money to make". I'm sure it's happened, but I've followed a fair few and I can't remember any. Rightly or wrongly, people view KS and IGG and similar as pre-order services, and if they can't pre-order your game then a lot of people will see very little point in giving you any money.

I realise it's hard to give away XBLA copies of a game, but is there any particular reason you're so dead set on not releasing a Windows version, which you could then give away to backers on IGG? Is it just the concern about running a server? It's not unheard of for Windows titles to self-host...

Lagging behind all of this there's also the problem with IGG not being so popular as KS, and the 'Flexible Funding' option you've chosen often being perceived as 'dishonest cash grab'. Then there's the point that your largest backing point is $5, which means you'd need 400 top-level backers to meet your goal - which is a lot of people for a relatively unknown indie project... but I suspect even without these issues the lack of an option to get the game itself would already have scuppered your campaign.

It's a shame, because the game looks really nice - the graphics so far are superb, and what I can gather about the mechanics from the videos make it look like the kind of thing I'd really enjoy with a single-player option. I did try downloading the demo, but it wouldn't run - it's complaining it can't find RGSS102E.DLL. :/

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to write your critique.

I am coding the AI right now and there will be a single player campaign. What I don't have as of now is a story to build the campaign around...
I agree with you that matches for this kind of games could last for long time and it is something that worries also me. I will introduce time limits for each turn and different match lenghts.
I am not at all dead set on not releasing a Windows version, actually I plan to make a few portings. But I work alone and it will not happen soon, so I didn't want to put that into the equation.

Ignore the demo. It is not anymore representative of the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:13:52 AM by Charlie Fleed » Logged

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »

I am coding the AI right now
I am not at all dead set on not releasing a Windows version

Both of these things make me happy to hear!

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »

I have been following this for some time and i have to say with all honesty, if this game was designed for 1 player with a story and all that i would pay top dollar for it, im not a fan of multiplayer as someone said above, the majority of online gamers are not the sort of people i would want to spend time with.

It looks amazing, its a visual work of art! Im still hoping!

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left  Wink

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »

I have been trying the battles with the characters menu pictures as placeholders.
The picture below shows the windows that appear when selecting targets for an attack or skill. When multiple targets are selected, the windows pile up so to show just the main info.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:42:17 AM by Charlie Fleed » Logged

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »

I am coding the AI right now and there will be a single player campaign.

Man. You should trumpet that from the rooftops! I thought this game was going to have a single player mode, but when I visited your campaign page, it only describes it as "a multiplayer strategy RPG game." Definitely update your Indiegogo page with that!

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2013, 03:33:23 AM »

Man. You should trumpet that from the rooftops! I thought this game was going to have a single player mode, but when I visited your campaign page, it only describes it as "a multiplayer strategy RPG game." Definitely update your Indiegogo page with that!

Oh, well, I plan to re-launch the campaign in the future. I have learned a lot from the feedback I have received and the project is much more mature now. You (fellow forum members) will be the first to know. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:53:58 AM by Charlie Fleed » Logged

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »

Some basic AI at work in this short video featuring the first original and fully animated character. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJUTJl39Hf4&feature=youtu.be

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2013, 04:41:49 AM »

I am releasing the updated Map Editor to the public. It comes with a watermarked version of the tileset. There are some additions with respect to the old tileset.
People can make maps and submit them for review to be included in the game by sending them to [email protected]. Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d0ag3etiazlhffu/Hartacon_Map_Editor.zip

Installation:
Launch Setup.exe. You will be asked to select a Home folder for the editor. It's best to create one on the fly. The name does not matter. The editor will create its Export, Projects and Resources subfolders inside.
There's a project inside the "public" archive. Extract it in the Projects subfolder.
Open it from Project menu by selecting the project.iproj file.

In order to send your maps, make an archive of your Projects folder, and email it to me.

Mapping Guidelines
Dimensions: from a minimum of 12x12 to a maximum of 24x24. Maps will be assigned to different types of matches based on their size.
Edges: edges do not need to be straight lines. Maps may have holes and irregular borders.
Connection: make a single connected movement area in order to avoid characters to be placed in unreachable positions.
Height gap: consider that almost every character is able to jump over a gap of 3, values of 4-5 make a selection for the most agile characters, 6+ should be considered a barrier that cannot be passed.
Objects: objects become transparent when they hide characters and maps can rotate, however try to limit the use of large objects in order not to make too much cluttered maps and leave some open spaces for the battle.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:10:41 AM by Charlie Fleed » Logged

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »

Video of the animated healer.

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2013, 01:31:36 AM »

I will release a PC demo soon!!!
I am waiting for the completion of the third character, shortly after that you will be able to put your hands on it. I hope this can also foster interest on making maps.
Here are some made by me, btw.

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

Worldmap for the single player campaign.

FJeandinot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2013, 03:22:08 AM »

Your work is awesome.

I'm working on a similar game (isometric tactical rpg) but your engine is really more advanced.

Charlie Fleed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:53 AM »

Would anybody volunteer to test the demo before public release? I'll send the link in private.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:52:12 AM by Charlie Fleed » Logged

Stitch Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2013, 01:38:47 AM »

I got a strong Bastion vibe from the first couple of screenshots, the artwork is awesome! Keep up the good work :D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic