Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 04:35:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign2D platformer design studies
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: 2D platformer design studies  (Read 21083 times)
MaloEspada
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 03:54:14 AM »

I like these "descontructions" too, so i tried my hand at a Cave Story one.  Cave Story

You can check it here. It's only for the very first stage, though.
Uykered
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »

I think it'd be more interesting if people talked about levels near the end of the games, as thats usually where the best design is and where the most fun is had.
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »

I've posted the third part of my SMB 3 articles if anyone's interested: http://www.significant-bits.com/super-mario-bros-3-level-design-lessons-part-3

This one veers away from typical level design to focus on how the overworld hubs are structured and linked to the core stages, but I think it's still relevant to the topic.

SuperMistLand
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »

Hey, cool to see you're a member at TIG, Radek. Those articles are great.

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »

Glad you enjoyed 'em.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »

That *is* a damn good article, and clearly defines why SMB3 is an experience beyond the rest of the Mario games... from SMW forward, the world maps serve as nothing but level hubs, but in SMB3 they're also a critical part of the gameplay. They're also where a lot of the memorably catchy jingles come from. Even though I started with SMB1, every time I see a Mario experience, that doggoned "Grass Land map screen" song pops into my head.

Also, another ingenius thing is how in spite of many worlds having 8-10 levels, EVERY ONE OF THEM had some kind of tangible value in the map-screen layout. And every world allowed you to skip at least one or two levels, especially valuable when it came to the more challenging ones. Like how 6-5 allowed you to access one of the only Hammer Bros-only Toad's Houses, or how the more obscurely located levels were often the ones that resulted in the White Houses, and even the way players in 2P games could detour one another or pick battles if they wanted a prize space ahead of them; but could still work together to chart courses through the worlds.

That forced 5-5 was one nasty SoB, though! XD Diagonal auto-scroll with moving plats, and rotary plats... I was so disoriented the first week I played that! It's still a shocker at times.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic