Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998170 Posts in 39143 Topics- by 30553 Members - Latest Member: drako30

April 17, 2014, 10:44:25 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you smoke?
Poll
Question: Do you smoke tobacco?
No, never - 221 (63.7%)
I used to but I quit - 23 (6.6%)
On occasion, but not every day - 33 (9.5%)
Yes, daily - 25 (7.2%)
Yeah, but I'm trying to quit - 8 (2.3%)
I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes - 37 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 313

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Print
Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 23063 times)
unsilentwill
Level 8

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

You keep saying that those who don't at least try drugs are closed minded. First hand experience isn't necessary for all knowlege, which is why we have science. In fact, I'm a little offended that you think that there's something called "Saturn". Have you been there?

It's actually not exactly like trying an exotic dish or listening to a different kind of music. This part, "You are gaining new experiences and new perspectives" is false. You are actually imparing your senses, not using or heightening them. It seems foolish to argue that turning off parts of your brain is the same as using them.

Also, the argument that we are already on drugs is true, which is exactly why most people choose not to alter the already barely functioning set of drugs in the brain for fun trip. Substances need to be rigoriously test to have no adverse affects before people try them. Such is the biochemical study called medicine.
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »

Hey man, those are cool points and everything, but I really have nothing else to say.

I'm not asking anyone to try anything. If you have a pre-conceived notion that all drugs are bad and you are not willing to support that claim with firsthand experience, that's your choice. All I'm saying is that I respect people who are Experienced, and Knowledgable because of their experiences. Based on your post I have a feeling you've never tried marijuana, which is totally cool and everything. But if my assumption is true, then I've lost respect for you.

unsilentwill
Level 8

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »

Thanks for ignoring my arguement. Just take the time to think about it a bit.

Also you have no idea what I have and haven't done in my life. There's no need to judge people like that.
C.A. Sinner
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »

Both the people who take drugs and those who don't should care less about what other people do.

paste
Level 6

BARF!

HeyIAintEddie
View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »

People who care about what people should care less doing should care less about it.

C.A. Sinner
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »

derp

Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »

Thanks for ignoring my arguement. Just take the time to think about it a bit.

Also you have no idea what I have and haven't done in my life. There's no need to judge people like that.

Well why don't you tell me about your experiences then? I would be interested to hear about them. I never judged you or claimed to know what has happened to you in your life. I said that based on the ignorant tone of your arguments it sounds to me like you haven't tried marijuana before, and if that was true then I wouldn't respect you as much as I might have. By using the word "if" I was giving you a chance to explain your drug-related experiences without making a prior judgment. I've never met anyone who has smoked cannabis and taken such a hostile stance against it, which is why I said that in the first place. But maybe I just haven't talked to enough people. So please, tell me about your experiences. I actually do want to hear about them.

It's actually not exactly like trying an exotic dish or listening to a different kind of music. This part, "You are gaining new experiences and new perspectives" is false. You are actually imparing your senses, not using or heightening them. It seems foolish to argue that turning off parts of your brain is the same as using them.

Can you provide a citation for that? I honestly don't understand how you can think this statement is true. When you drink a cup of coffee, do you become blind? As far as I know (I am not a scientist) drugs are just chemicals that affect your brain in different ways, causing synapses to fire under different conditions, or perhaps providing a conductive liquid, effectively reconfiguring your neural pathways. In some cases this could definitely lead to impaired senses, by blocking off areas of the brain. But in other cases, like with hallucinogens for example, they might cause certain impulses to be redirected to the part of your brain that controls sight, causing you to see weird things because of the non-formatted information being sent there. Kind of like renaming a text file as a .jpeg and then opening it in photoshop. Again, I am not a scientist so I'm just talking based on the relatively small amount of research I've done. So please enlighten me if you have information that proves otherwise.

The first problem with your claim is that it puts every single drug under a single umbrella. Do you understand that not all drugs are the exact same? The second problem is that, like I described above, all drugs do not simply "turn off" parts of your brain. By allowing information to be sent to different areas of the brain, you are creating new experiences. That's what happens when you travel to a new place - you are allowing light information to enter your brain via your eyes, in a pattern you've never seen before. A hallucinogen would cause random information to enter the sight part of your brain, via some other part of your brain or body rather than your eyes, in a pattern you've never seen before.

So basically your claim is both logically, and chemically (as far as I know) incorrect.

Also, the argument that we are already on drugs is true, which is exactly why most people choose not to alter the already barely functioning set of drugs in the brain for fun trip.[/i].

That's the entire fucking point. And I'm not saying that in an angry way, I'm just trying emphasize it. When we take certain drugs, like marijuana, mushrooms, or DMT for example, it can show us how fragile our consciousness really is, by fucking it up severely for a short amount of time, and in that process providing you a new perspective on life, in a similar (but more powerful) way that meditating or travelling to a new place would. And you're exactly right - that is why most people don't do it. Most people are scared of the unknown, scared to face their own insecurities, scared of moving out of their comfort zone. And this leads back to my point - if someone has never done anything but live quietly inside their own comfort zone, why should I take note of them, or have a lot of respect for them? I'm not asking anyone to do drugs. I'm simply stating that I respect people who challenge themselves and take risks in that way, the same way I respect MMA fighters, base-jumpers, surgeons, soldiers, firefighters, or even artists. Why should I respect someone who has never taken a risk?

Substances need to be rigoriously test to have no adverse affects before people try them. Such is the biochemical study called medicine.

If you are referring to cannabis, a simple google search will link to numerous sources, both legitimate and not, which will inform you that no one has died from smoking it, ever. And people have been smoking it since before recorded history - is that not rigorous enough testing for you?

And if you are referring to other drugs as well - then yes I wholeheartedly agree with you. That's why I stated in an earlier post that I always research any substance I plan to ingest.

I was ignoring your argument because I was trying not to get into an actual argument, but I guess we're there now. But I've addressed your (largely ignorant, flawed, and poorly thought through) points now, so if you want to continue, please address mine. And if you haven't bothered to read through my previous posts, I'll reiterate: I'm not asking, advising, or telling anyone to take drugs. I am simply stating my viewpoint on why I respect people who try to improve themselves by seeking out new experiences and taking risks.

Oh god, I've become Paul Eres.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:44:53 PM by Gabriel Verdon » Logged

---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

I don't get why you only respect dubie smoking hippies.
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »

I don't get why you only respect dubie smoking hippies.

I'm simply stating that I respect people who challenge themselves and take risks in that way, the same way I respect MMA fighters, base-jumpers, surgeons, soldiers, firefighters, or even artists. Why should I respect someone who has never taken a risk?

Seriously, this is getting pathetic. Please take the time to read my entire post Theo if you want to make comments and/or judgments about me.

---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 15, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »

Goodness, you need to lighten up, I was only joking.
unsilentwill
Level 8

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #280 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »

Relax, and stop calling me ignorant. I do not think all drugs are the same. I know you're not trying to convince anyone to do drugs. But I don't like to be called close minded, because I don't think I am. I'll address your points a PM, I think there's a only a small difference in terms for how we define what drugs do that's at the crux of this disagreement.
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »

This is a srs bzns thread Theo. Please refrain from any further joking, or else I will call the internet police.

---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »

I think a lot of people aren't open to drugs because of the way most grew up. PBS specials about drugs don't usually say things like you are saying. There are a lot more risks with the use of drugs than there are things like, coffee (This comes to mind because you mentioned it).
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: April 15, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

I think a lot of people aren't open to drugs because of the way most grew up. PBS specials about drugs don't usually say things like you are saying. There are a lot more risks with the use of drugs than there are things like, coffee (This comes to mind because you mentioned it).

Definitely, and part of the problem is the way they connotate the word "drugs." Unfortunately (in my opinion), cannabis, a drug which has been proven to be beneficial to many people, and safer than socially accepted drugs like alcohol, nicotine, and even caffeine, has been lumped in with legitimately harmful and malicious ones like meth and crack cocaine.

By the way, coffee contains caffeine (a real drug) which based on google searching has actually killed more people than cannabis has. So it's unfortunate that the delineations society has made seem to be so arbitrary.

But having said that, I think you are right in that example because it would probably be impossible to overdose on coffee, because the ratio of liquid to caffeine would probably make it impossible actually ingest enough to kill you. You would probably have to take caffeine pills or something like that to actually overdose.

Daray Manning
Level 10

~-~

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #284 on: April 15, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

There's a lot of talk these days about having an "addictive personality" - which may or may not be a constructive way of describing it - and that sort of person, with poor impulse control or whatever else the issue may be, would be a lot better off staying well clear.
i'm that kind of person. luckily, i'm pretty aware of it and i know what to stay away from so i don't get into the wrong things. because that whole thing about certain drugs being gateway-drugs could be true for me.

this tends to make me pissed off around some of the more pushy pot-smokers. i have a lot of these at or around my lunch table and school in general. most of them constantly make jokes about it, and talk about getting high, and usually try to get me involved in it, even when i have told them several times that i don't plan on ever drinking or doing drugs. this usually leads to the whole you-should-try-pot lecture: "oh you're so stupid. i was just like you when i was a freshman. i cared about school and stuff. but then i tried weed man, changed my life and i know better now." (that is an actual quote by the way. i'm not exaggerating). this has largely influenced my negative opinion about most pot-smokers, even though i know better now, since a few people on this site do, and you obviously aren't like the ones i've met.

i do respect that several people enjoy weed, because as far as i know, it's one of the least intense "drugs", in the sense that you get it from some guy in an alley or random house(not that everyone does, i'm not stereotyping, just trying to get my point across). i just don't appreciate that several people i know are doing it at such a young age. if it is "only as bad as alcohol" as they say, and it's illegal, why can't they at least respect the drinking laws and wait until they are old enough to do that? even though most kids my age usually have already started doing that.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic