Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1057384 Posts in 42957 Topics- by 34891 Members - Latest Member: TimBob12

October 25, 2014, 04:19:16 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you smoke?
Poll
Question: Do you smoke tobacco?
No, never - 221 (63.7%)
I used to but I quit - 23 (6.6%)
On occasion, but not every day - 33 (9.5%)
Yes, daily - 25 (7.2%)
Yeah, but I'm trying to quit - 8 (2.3%)
I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes - 37 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 308

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 25216 times)
---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 15, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »

I think a lot of people aren't open to drugs because of the way most grew up. PBS specials about drugs don't usually say things like you are saying. There are a lot more risks with the use of drugs than there are things like, coffee (This comes to mind because you mentioned it).
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

I think a lot of people aren't open to drugs because of the way most grew up. PBS specials about drugs don't usually say things like you are saying. There are a lot more risks with the use of drugs than there are things like, coffee (This comes to mind because you mentioned it).

Definitely, and part of the problem is the way they connotate the word "drugs." Unfortunately (in my opinion), cannabis, a drug which has been proven to be beneficial to many people, and safer than socially accepted drugs like alcohol, nicotine, and even caffeine, has been lumped in with legitimately harmful and malicious ones like meth and crack cocaine.

By the way, coffee contains caffeine (a real drug) which based on google searching has actually killed more people than cannabis has. So it's unfortunate that the delineations society has made seem to be so arbitrary.

But having said that, I think you are right in that example because it would probably be impossible to overdose on coffee, because the ratio of liquid to caffeine would probably make it impossible actually ingest enough to kill you. You would probably have to take caffeine pills or something like that to actually overdose.

BoxedLunch
« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

There's a lot of talk these days about having an "addictive personality" - which may or may not be a constructive way of describing it - and that sort of person, with poor impulse control or whatever else the issue may be, would be a lot better off staying well clear.
i'm that kind of person. luckily, i'm pretty aware of it and i know what to stay away from so i don't get into the wrong things. because that whole thing about certain drugs being gateway-drugs could be true for me.

this tends to make me pissed off around some of the more pushy pot-smokers. i have a lot of these at or around my lunch table and school in general. most of them constantly make jokes about it, and talk about getting high, and usually try to get me involved in it, even when i have told them several times that i don't plan on ever drinking or doing drugs. this usually leads to the whole you-should-try-pot lecture: "oh you're so stupid. i was just like you when i was a freshman. i cared about school and stuff. but then i tried weed man, changed my life and i know better now." (that is an actual quote by the way. i'm not exaggerating). this has largely influenced my negative opinion about most pot-smokers, even though i know better now, since a few people on this site do, and you obviously aren't like the ones i've met.

i do respect that several people enjoy weed, because as far as i know, it's one of the least intense "drugs", in the sense that you get it from some guy in an alley or random house(not that everyone does, i'm not stereotyping, just trying to get my point across). i just don't appreciate that several people i know are doing it at such a young age. if it is "only as bad as alcohol" as they say, and it's illegal, why can't they at least respect the drinking laws and wait until they are old enough to do that? even though most kids my age usually have already started doing that.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile Email
« Reply #283 on: April 16, 2011, 02:00:31 AM »

I'm that kind of person aswell, though it took me a long time to realise it. It sounds like you're making a very wise choice as I started out using cannabis in response to peer pressure and (long story short) I'm here, 10 years down the line, taking Subutex to manage an opium addiction and long-term unemployed.

@Gabriel: I saw things exactly as you did for a long time but hindsight puts a different perspective on it  Tired
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 16, 2011, 01:20:30 PM »

Smoked for years, quit for a year... then went FFFFUUUUU!! And here I am... Sitting at my computer with a cig hanging from my mouth Shrug

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »

Please don't equate doing psychedelic drugs with inflicting physical self-harm ever again. That is one of the most profoundly naive, ignorant, and brainwashed things I've ever heard, and I've heard it plenty of times. If you don't want to do drugs, fine. Just admit it's because you're afraid to do them. There's no shame in that. There is shame, however, in saying that something is bad just because you were told it was bad, but you never bothered to find out first hand.

I don't do drugs anymore but when I used to smoke pot I was happy, creative, and very empathetic towards others. When I quit I became miserable, hateful, and felt like killing people (not a withdrawal; that's just how I am without it) It was impossible to stay high all the time because not everyone was on that level, so it was a very vulnerable place to be. However, if everyone smoked pot, I guarantee we'd have world peace.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

rm88___@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »

^
That last paragraph. I'm fine without drugs, sankyuu.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »

I never said it was self harm. Please do not call me naive, ignorant, and brainwashed.  I'm not afraid to do drugs. I'm not saying its bad because I was told by PBS.
Linx
Level 0

I like Cookies

View Profile Email
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »

There is shame, however, in saying that something is bad just because you were told it was bad, but you never bothered to find out first hand.
There is a difference between being told it was bad, and having seen the negative effects though.

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »

I simply don't feel like taking drugs at the moment and never have. That could change in the future. I'm not ideologically opposed to them or whatever. But I think to maximize your happiness in life, it's important to do things out of inner motivation rather than outside pressure. Or that's how it works for me anyway.

Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »

But I think to maximize your happiness in life, it's important to do things out of inner motivation rather than outside pressure. Or that's how it works for me anyway.

True dat  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »

You aren't a film noir detective, you don't look cool when you smoke.

( ˙͜>˙ )
Bandages
« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2011, 02:50:43 AM »

Actually I am a film noir detective.

This is awkward  Noir
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:31 AM »

I've been smoking water pipe for the last few weeks, with liquorice, peppermint and coffee flavors. I really like it. I hate regular cigarettes though, can't stand the taste and I'm always drunk when I'm stupid enough to try them, so I usually end up vomiting every time I smoke one Cool
Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »

Champagne is surprisingly good. Grape or cherry is probably my favourite though.

( ˙͜>˙ )
BoxedLunch
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2011, 03:55:59 PM »

fucking 4/20. why can't people just get high at home or in the back of the school. i don't want to smell your fucking "skunk weed" when i have to take a piss in between classes. Facepalm
Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »

Does your school have outhouses or what?

( ˙͜>˙ )
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »

Substances need to be rigoriously test to have no adverse affects before people try them. Such is the biochemical study called medicine.
If you are referring to cannabis, a simple google search will link to numerous sources, both legitimate and not, which will inform you that no one has died from smoking it, ever.
This is a misleading statement. Death is not the only bad thing that can happen to you.

Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »

Substances need to be rigoriously test to have no adverse affects before people try them. Such is the biochemical study called medicine.
If you are referring to cannabis, a simple google search will link to numerous sources, both legitimate and not, which will inform you that no one has died from smoking it, ever.
This is a misleading statement. Death is not the only bad thing that can happen to you.

I feel like this is fairly relevant: http://www.collegehumor.com/article/6483912/honest-anti-marijuana-psas

( ˙͜>˙ )
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »

This is a misleading statement. Death is the only bad thing that can happen to you. Everything else is acceptable.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic