Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:18:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSub-Pixel Message Generator
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Sub-Pixel Message Generator  (Read 14081 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »

Awesome Smiley I'm quite surprised that blue thing works - I'd have guessed that it would become too blurry to make anything out, but apparently not Smiley

I was thinking of making a short adventure game at a really low res for the eegra contest (since the subpixel thing kinda ties into the "colour" theme), but not as a serious entry, more as an experimental thing. I probably won't get the time, though.

Corpus, I'd love to see a game made with this principle Grin  I dunno how you would handle the fullscreen thingy though - I was thinking that maybe you could illustrate how it works by starting with big chunky blocks with white pixels represented by a 3x3 block of three coloured lines, and zooming out right at the start of the game to the sub pixel resolution. I dunno though Tongue

(and don't worry, that's not a thread hijack. What I posted in the eegra thread was a hijack Tongue )

Corpus
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 06:55:13 AM »

Well, it wouldn't be too hard to program - you could just draw all of your sprites at 3 times the size you want them to be, and then have the code separate it into blocks of 3x3 pixels and work out which of the three columns are filled. It would then generate the subpixel sprite using the colours necessary to create those 'columns.'

If the images you put into it featured broken columns - if you don't know what I mean I'll upload an image to demonstrate later - it could either just treat columns as empty unless 2/3 pixels are 'used,' or adjust the brightness of that column accordingly.

Whether or not it would look any good is another matter entirely Grin

I'm not sure that I'll have the time, either... I'm studying for my exams at the minute, and doing a ridiculous amount of work for art, and I need to finish Infinite Afro, too. Actually, my exams finish a month or so before the deadline, so it should be okay. Who knows. It would be cool if someone made a game like that, though Kiss
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 10:21:02 AM »

I think the biggest issue with coding a game with that graphical style is that you'll be alienating people without the specific type of monitor necessary to read the images properly. Only when I got to college and looked at it in their monitors was I able to read anything, and even so it's an eye-strain. It might be interesting as a really geeky experiment, but don't expect as many people to play it or enjoy it.

It's probably worse than XNA, since the solution isn't the download and installation of a ton of extra stuff (which I did and still can't play most XNA games) but buying a different monitor.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Corpus
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »

Exactly. It's pretty much the indiest game you can make.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »

XNA is so indie it snobs my computer.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »

Well congratulations.
Your sub-pixel message concept somehow ended up in my dreams last night.

Anyway, it's a really cool concept, even if I can barely read it, and end up hurting my eyes in the process.
jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »

I dunno if you saw this about two years ago or not, but I did something similar over at Pixelation, you know, since I can't do proper pixel art.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1882.0
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »

Nope Smiley I think I read about this a while ago on a GBA forum somewhere, but I don't remember where or when Sad

Did you ever make anything with this in the end?

jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 08:10:15 AM »

Did you ever make anything with this in the end?

No, I tend to put a few hours of dedication into a project I really believe in and then HEY LOOK A BUTTERFLY!

Know what I mean?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic