Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:51:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsSO YOU WANT TO MAKE GAMES - the beginner's guide [in progress]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: SO YOU WANT TO MAKE GAMES - the beginner's guide [in progress]  (Read 38383 times)
nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 01:43:39 AM »

Of course there are exceptions on every level, and I agree Java is excessively wordy and could use a hell of a lot of pruning. I am of the opinion C# is a superior language in every measurable metric except perhaps contract billable hours, so I don't really like defending Java.

But to cite your first example:

System.out.println("Hello World!");

whereas in c++ its just

cout << "Hello World!";

The first is actually superior to the second in almost every way but terseness.

First, << can be overridden and therefore it's meaning is mutable.  The first line means exactly what it means, and it means it every single time.  This is easy to support and easy for new devs to grok.

The second however, the operator can be modified and cout, first off is a shit undescriptive name ( c means what? Console? Class? Character?  ( and yes, I know its console )  out to where? ) can be redirected.  This is a source of potential confusion and future bugs.

Also, for example in Eclipse you can just type :
syso+[ctrl+space]
And you have your System.out.println
When writing in java, using some decent code editor, you just get used to ctrl+space.

And then java is probably one of the easiest/fastest languages to code in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic