Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:39:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Island (Adventure Platformer)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: The Island (Adventure Platformer)  (Read 34670 times)
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 07:42:14 PM »

Is the latest build up for download? I'm excited!

Sure!

Download

Notes
  • Naming doesn't work yet, so that's been left out.
  • The special end of the combo is sort of a lazy thrust at the moment. Any suggestions?
  • The Gold Puffs drop two different kinds of items. Press Enter and scroll switch the menus with A and S!
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 07:01:57 PM »

Working on that naming screen. It's quite annoying! Big Laff

In the meantime, have a new character and some graphics!

sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 07:46:47 PM »

Tried out this latest build and I noticed once while in the water, trying to spinattack a yellow puff in a corner, that I made a sudden high-speed "bounce" to the other side after hitting it. I'm still trying to recreate how I did that, but so far the rest look solid.

Oh, and I like the scarf much better now. Although a few sticklers:
  • It'd be nice if the hero/Ralph does an action like slashing in a statinary position, the scarf doesn't remain pointed downward.
  • The same idea when he keeps running on a wall. Either the scarf remains flowing or he stops his jogging animation when touching it.

Edit: Wow, didn't realize new post. Nice sprites!

Edit 2: I think I might have a redesign idea on that bird of paradise idea if it isn't too late.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:03:21 PM by sfried » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »

Gah. That black screen still won't go away. But this time, I can actually do stuff and, when moving, I can see the game on the very edge.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:52:59 PM by McMutton » Logged
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »

Hey again!

Download

Notes:
  • Added a Revolver! The bullets bounce off of surfaces.
  • Reintergrated Bombs! You can throw them in 5 different directions.
  • To aim the gun/the bombs, hold down the C key, hold the left, right or up keys, and release the C key.
  • To use these items, go into the Status menu and select them. You start with the Shield by default.
  • The Grapple Hook isn't available at this time. Probably going to try something different.
  • Added invincibility to certain attacks! The Gold Puffs are immune to stomps, and the flower is immune to the sword
  • The Spin Attack has a bit of a double jump aesthetic to it now. You can only use it once every time you're in the air, and it gives you a small boost in airtime.
  • Dying will automatically reset the game.
  • The Green Chests that appear are bouncy on purpose!
  • Also, ignore the black UFO thingy. That's a test for moving platforms (that aren't working Concerned)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:16:01 PM by MartyMan » Logged
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 07:39:15 PM »

Very nice! Very smooth. I found myself dreading the slowness of the dialogue, however. Is it necessary to have a notification each time the player picks up a powerup?

MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »

Very nice! Very smooth. I found myself dreading the slowness of the dialogue, however. Is it necessary to have a notification each time the player picks up a powerup?

Well normally, you wouldn't find more than one of those things in the same map. Also, the Attack button (X) speeds up the text. Wizard

I also just made it a little bit faster.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »

I figured out the X button part, but it still seemed a little bit slow. Just a personal preference.

I'm really interested in the stories behind the characters, by the way!

I'm sorry if this is being a little forward, but would it be rude to ask for a mirror in the form of a ZIP file?

MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

I figured out the X button part, but it still seemed a little bit slow. Just a personal preference.

I'm really interested in the stories behind the characters, by the way!

I'm sorry if this is being a little forward, but would it be rude to ask for a mirror in the form of a ZIP file?

Sure.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5lajk6exf2k99vq

I can't say much about the characters yet, but he main character is an Adventurer with a Pilot license!
sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »

Great build so far. Keep up the great work.

I how you fixed the underwater rebound thing with the Puff (the older build made the Adventurer bounce opposite of what he was attacking under certain conditions. I'm still trying to narrow which conditions they are).
Conker534
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »

looks awesome!
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »

I also have the black screen problem. What version of Game Maker is this?
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »

I'm using Game Maker 8. Maybe it's because I'm using a surface? Here, try using the No Surfaces version.

Download

Download (No Surface) (looks goofy because I only disabled surfaces)

Notes
  • Gave the Plant basic AI. Try reflecting it's shots with the Aegis Shield!
  • Blocks everywhere! Getting crushed by blocks affected by gravity is still really buggy though.
  • There are now some bouncy floors around the place.
  • Try falling down a pit/Off the side of the screen!
  • Fixed a bug where opening a chest while overlapping two or more chests could open them all at the same time.
MaloEspada
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »

posting because i may be able to solve the blackscreen problem concerning surfaces.
this is a common problem because some cards aren't very well compatible with game maker's surfaces, and therefore they display black transparency around some stuff. maybe this will fix it?

if you are using chevyray's method of scaling, just put the code like this in screen_begin():
Code:
draw_set_blend_mode_ext(bm_one, bm_zero);
draw_surface_stretched(screen,screen_x,screen_y,screen_w*screen_scale,screen_h*screen_scale);
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal)

..but if you aren't, i suppose you may try something similar.
before drawing the surface, use
Code:
draw_set_blend_mode_ext(bm_one, bm_zero);
then you use the function to draw the surface.
after that, you use:
Code:
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal)

i hope this solves the issue.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »

I am really loving pretty much everything about this so far.

the chest...it just kept bouncing! (seemed to happen quite frequently)

Also, maybe it's just me, but having a "resume" button on the menu or something would be nice, or a pause button over near the rest of the action keys, like shift or A or something. I just don't like pressing enter for some reason.

sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »

I'm using Game Maker 8. Maybe it's because I'm using a surface? Here, try using the No Surfaces version.
Does Game Maker 7 also have surfaces?
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 02:59:55 AM »

rdein: Thanks! I'm giving it a try.

Download

Notes:
  • Trying the black screen fix. Does it work?
  • Changed the damage text to be more noticable, and hopefully more aesthetically pleasing.
  • Shitty Grappling Hook! Weird physics and sticks to shit like a nail. Oh well, it's a start. At the least, it can grab items and bring them closer to you.
duo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »

I just played it on linux with wine. Works great! I like the graphics.
sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »

Guess what Marty. It seems to load faster now. In longer feels bogged down like in the other 2 versions prior to this.

The grapling hook does need some fixing (such as the momentum while swining Bionic Commando style) but I feel it will work in the end. One thing I'm bothered is that the grappling release is always associated with the jump button and is a bit of a hassle for people wanting to just drop down. I'll see what my folks at MM Boards have to say.
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 04:09:29 AM »

Guess what Marty. It seems to load faster now. In longer feels bogged down like in the other 2 versions prior to this.

It felt bogged down? Concerned Well... at least it doesn't anymore?

Anyway, I've changed the Grappling Hook into a Zip Hook. It zips you up to the hook! I also added Yellow Kron, which is worth 100 Kron. Finally, I've implemented a Save System! As far as I can tell, it works perfectly. I also turned the music back on changed it to something else since it felt lonely without it. Tongue

Download

Notes:
  • Zip Hook! The hook automatically tries to lock in on a hook-point if it detects it.
  • Saving and Loading! There's 3 save slots, which you can switch between at the title screen using the 1, 2, and 3 keys. Of course, this isn't permanent!
  • Changed the Puff AI somewhat to be less hacked-together and more "finished"
  • Sorry about the music. I just really like Pokemon Dungeon's tunes a lot. Durr...? If it's bothersome, it can be deleted from the music folder with no problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic