Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:49:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRed Isle - The Dark Relics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Red Isle - The Dark Relics  (Read 2126 times)
youry.kiki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:16:51 AM »

Hello,

Some years ago, I tried to make a game for cell phone in Java on my free time. It was near 2006, I though it was possible to give the player better control than in a lot of game we could see at this time on phone. So I developped what is now called Red Isle - The Dark Relics, mostly inspired by Rick Dangerous. The project didn't interessed publishers and mostly died.

In now days, I decide to make it public, even if it is not finished. I made a J2SE port of the original J2ME to make it playable on PC. 1 world out of 5 is finished, and there is no music/sound (the original musician just made a demo soundtrack). But the game is fully playable and the first world 100% handcrafted, with a begin and an end !

I don't plan to make more about this game, but learn from mistakes and go for another one !
At least the only thing I would make about this, is include sounds if a musician is interested in doing some music/effect for it.

You can test it at http://youry.kiki.free.fr/RedIsle
and find some information about it at http://nihilinteractive.com/redisle

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:33:04 AM by youry.kiki » Logged

chumez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:57:36 AM »

Hey there, that's a neat game.

Haven't finished it, kind of lost in there. Also, I've died
too many times on simple traps ...  Tongue guess I'm clumsy.
Although, a health system would be nice, and a few more types
of opponents and weapons, too bad you aren't making it any longer.

Regards

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »

Ooh, neat! I see some inspiration drawn from Rick Dangerous here, and that's a very good thing [edit: and upon reading your post closer, I see that that's true!].
The graphics are lovely, the controls are good.

Why is the applet signed? Why do you need full access to my computer for me to play this?
Changing the zoom in the options seems to crash the game.
I wish I could change the controls.
Dying late in a level (from a single hit!) and getting sent all the way back is frustrating. 

youry.kiki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 12:13:38 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for the comment. The good looking pixel art is from a french artist called Emilie Gaujé, http://www.apitchou.com/ (the portfolio seems buggy those days !)

I signed the jar file because I though it needed to be to be excutable on java web start. The game don't need to have access to all the computer, the game only put a .RedIsle/save.dat file in the user home directory. I think I have to learn more about that.

The gameplay is quite old even if there are some improvement, I though it was enough for a 1st try and I mapped the level so as there is always clues about the traps. I also put an auto-checkpoint-save file that allow to continue at the last map change (after dying or stopping the game). But you're right, even with those helps it is quite frustrating to die at 90% and a lot of people tell me that it is too hard or frustrating !

I maybe must add some healthpoints or checkpoints !

The reason why I don't think to go further on this game for the moment is that the gameplay is not original. Actually the game was taking dust in my svn repository since 2007-2008. I decide to share it last month cause it has a complete world playable and maybe it could interessed some people. I also start another projet, after 2 or 3 years sleeping. I think that learning from mistakes and feedback is a good start !
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:20:13 AM by youry.kiki » Logged

Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:20:34 AM »

I signed the jar file because I though it needed to be to be excutable on java web start. The game don't need to have access to all the computer, the game only put a .RedIsle/save.dat file in the user home directory. I think I have to learn more about that.

Ahhh, yes.. I still haven't found a good way to do this in an unsigned applet. :/
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »

It's nice although not my type of game, it's a pity that you coyuldn't distribute it by yourself or sthg

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
capnramses
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »

Awesome! I love the old-school graphics, especially the hero's costume. Reminds me a bit of Metal Slug games (which are some of my favs). Only thing I would change is making the signposts bigger and more obvious and I had to put my head right up to the screen to see the little notches. Not a major. It would have been easier to know that if I'd chosen English rather than French I guess...That moving block crushed my arse! Like it. Would love to have heard sounds.

currently making this game http://www.crongdor.com
youry.kiki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »

Thanks for feedback.

There is a lot of bad idea in this project, the first one was thinking I could distribute it on java mobile edition, but actually it costs too much (there's not one J2ME but as many as phone families...) and publishers could have help if it was a 3D game with lots of stunning graphics...

I've notice your advice:
* more obvious clues and "button" (in fact notch in stone)
* sounds... !
* Heathpoints

Thx

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic