Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411626 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 09:53:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe Floating Heads and Hands of Nintendo
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Floating Heads and Hands of Nintendo  (Read 10479 times)
AshfordPride
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:40:30 PM »

I want to make sort of compilation of all these kinds of bosses.  It's something that I've only just noticed now, but they seem to be extremely common in almost every main Nintendo series!  Even odder, it seems like Nintendo only puts about one of them in their games per year.

Donkey Kong - Gameboy - 1994

Kirby Superstar - SNES - 1995

Super Mario 64 - N64 - 1996
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4se1Yz-sL8

Star Fox 64 - N64 - 1997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnOe2OqwCGA

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64 - 1998
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0io293r8E

Super Smash Bros - N64 - 1999
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAG3AHuIceI&feature=related

Warioland 3 - Gameboy - 2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9In9ni5n5M

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Gamecube - 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRE2b2S6n9s

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Gamecube - 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGfm-KUUaxk

I'm trying to think of more.  I hear there's a boss in the new Donkey Kong game like this.  That's what inspired this all.  Now I've uncovered the goddamn Da Vinci Code. Epileptic
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »

I always thought that it was a pretty common thing in video games. It seems to be more common in 2D ones outside of Nintendo, but off the top of my head, the Mega Man Zero series has at least 2 bosses like that (though okay, they were on a Nintendo system), and the final boss in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is like that in its first phase.

But it does seem to be a more common thing in 3D when Nintendo's involved (at least if the Master Hands count). I wonder if that's done as a reference to old games, or if it just turns out that way.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »

That's funny... The final boss of the first GM game I ever made & finished was a floating head with hands o_O

Spoiler:

It's me.

If you don't mind playing a pretty generic top-down-shooter-maze-game that's a HUGE download (12 MB!) then please give it a shot... I don't think (m)any people played this game, so I'd love to hear impressions!

Yes, I was very high when I made this game.

EDIT: The game is worth downloading for the readme.txt alone...  Cheesy

EDIT 2: DAMMIT! The game won't run on this computer because it tries to push the screen res to 320 x 240, which my monitor won't even support Sad Sad Sad I thought I'd give it a go for old time's sake Sad
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:35:31 PM by phubans » Logged

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »

Actually, in the first Wario Land for GB there's a floating head & hand combo boss. I can't recall the actual level and I'm too lazy/buzzed to get the exact details, but I do recall that the boss also shucked boogers from his nose.

DET. Defective
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:47:08 AM »

This thread has a significant lack of

. D:

(You can get away with this as a technicality, it was released in 1993 for Japan. Grin)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:23:43 AM by ZacharyDCCLXXVII » Logged
Nitromatic
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 02:02:47 AM »

But I like these kind of bosses. They're always so epic. (also giant laser beam bosses xD)
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 03:45:33 AM »

There's more of these in the 2D Zelda games as well.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 03:48:28 AM »

Didn't Contra have a few of these?  I think at least the Super Nintendo one did...
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 06:42:32 AM »

Isn't Kirby basically a floating head?
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »

Zelda Oracle of Seasons final boss Onox's dragon form's hands and head are only solid things in battle, other body being in the background. Also, if my memory serves me right, ORacle of Ages eight dungeon's boss was somekind stone monster with head and hands.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 07:33:55 AM »

Sigma from Megaman X did this.

Yeah, Nintendo does seem to do this a lot now that you mention it! Not that it is a bad thing.

I am sure with a little digging, though, we can come up with plenty of non-nintendo examples.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 08:03:38 AM »

I recall something from Chrono Trigger, right at the beginning, with a floating head and hands. Not a boss. A guy in a circus tent.

Also, what about Rayman? Kirby definitely has his head firmly attached to his arms but Rayman is one floaty-head-hand bastard.

(again, not a boss)

MaloEspada
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »

I recall something from Chrono Trigger, right at the beginning, with a floating head and hands. Not a boss. A guy in a circus tent.

not only that, but Chrono Trigger also has 2 or 3 bosses that are HEAD + ARMS (Giga Gaia and Lavos 2)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 09:07:21 AM »

Also, what about Rayman? Kirby definitely has his head firmly attached to his arms but Rayman is one floaty-head-hand bastard.

(again, not a boss)

Plok was the father of them all.

AshfordPride
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 09:23:14 AM »

You can get away with this as a technicality, it was released in 1993 for Japan. Grin)

This is interesting, because I'm really trying to find the earliest example of this kind of boss in video games.  I kind of figured it was a Nintendo invention, considering it's prevalence, but perhaps not! 
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »

i beleive they do this because animating h ead and hands are easier than animating a whole body >_<.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »

But that's not the point here - what is the first video game to have done this?

Illusion of Gaia was released Nov of 1993, and Megaman X was Dec of 1993, so those are currently the front runners.

Sonic 2 had Final Boss robotnic that had arms animated separately from his body, and that's Nov 1992. Does that maybe beat out the others?

There's gotta be an NES game that's done this.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »

This doesn't quite beat Illusion of Gaia in terms of release date, but these were both in Sonic & Knuckles:

Technically, Sonic & Knuckles came out after Donkey Kong, but it was developed alongside Sonic 3, which came out before it, so it was probably designed at around the same time. It might not be an entirely Nintendo invention Wink
I agree with Kren though, this kind of thing was simply easier to animate and took way less processing power than a huge, animated sprite.

Also, SirNiko, I'd argue that Sonic 2's final boss was supposed to be more or less attached, aside from the fact that the fists detached as rockets. Outside of that, it was one big robot.
Zaphos
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantHandsOfDoom

^ they don't list dates but maybe Zoda from Star Tropics counts / is earlier?  Never played it so I'm not sure.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »

Startropics came out in 1990, so that qualifies. It's a great game BTW, if you like Zelda, play it.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic