Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:36:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesKnyttWaDF
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: KnyttWaDF  (Read 2511 times)
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:12:16 AM »

KnyttWaDF. "KnyttWaDF is a hybrid somewhere between Knytt and Within a Deep Forest, and contains game mechanics from both, and have a story that's also connected to those games. It's in very, very early development, and will hopefully be finished sometime in 2012 though it's way too early to set an actual release date."

Screenshot looks like Knytt/Knytt Stories-type tilesets with the silhouette style of Night Game and photo collage backgrounds from Saira.

SO BASICALLY THIS IS GOING TO BE THE NIFFLAS GAME TO END ALL NIFFLAS GAMES

also, "Also, this game will be AWESOME; so if you know someone who wants to fund or invest in it, send 'em my way "

and with regards to platform, "Well, I'd prefer as many as possible. Of course I value PC a lot since that's where my players are. If for some reason a super ridicously beneficial deal would show up, I could lock the game to a specific platform, but that's very unlikely, it should be a lot smarter from a commercial point of view to get a game out on as many as possible.

I hope to get some proper funding though."

somebody give nifflas a lot of money to make this game

also of significance: this
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:21:48 AM »

Night Sky on PC is great news.

If only they would port the new Cave Story too.
Ant
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »

That's right, it's using photographs like Saira, and sihouettes like NightSky

Concerned  He's basing it around the only two aspects I didn't really like about his previous games. I really loved Within a Deep Forest and especially Kyntt Stories, I kinda wish he'd do something with a similar style again.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »

Knytt is one of those indie games that I don't get the wide appeal of. I've played it and it was pretty boring, IMO, and I usually love atmospheric exploration games... Why would he need funding to make a GM game, anyways? A game like Knytt could be made in a matter of months even if you only spent half your time working on it Huh?

Ant
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 12:00:30 PM »

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of the original Kyntt myself. Have you played Kyntt Stories phubans? It's pretty much what Kyntt should have been all along.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »

Knytt is one of those indie games that I don't get the wide appeal of. I've played it and it was pretty boring, IMO, and I usually love atmospheric exploration games... Why would he need funding to make a GM game, anyways? A game like Knytt could be made in a matter of months even if you only spent half your time working on it Huh?

He uses MMF2 not Game Maker. All I really know about it is checkboxes. He didn't state the platform he was using to make this new game though

He's making this a combination of Knytt and WaDF, which would require more time due to puzzles and level design and stuffs. My guess funding would be for living expenses. If he has to work a full-time job then a couple months project could take all year.

It also seems like he wants this game to be pretty large, rather than just short games like Knytt and WaDF were.
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 12:27:04 PM »

i think knytt is famous because it has no real enemies or combat, unlike pretty much all other atmospheric exploration games (metroid, aquaria, etc)

knytt is a game that you could show to a non-gamer to get them interested in games since it's so simple and easy

also: nifflas uses mmf2 not gm, and last i knew he has a day job and only makes games in a fraction of his spare time (since he doesn't spend all his spare time making games obsessively)

funding would most obviously be important for advertising, or if nifflas has to pay to license certain mmf2 extensions or needs to pay a musician or artist
iffi
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »

I found Knytt and WaDF to be boring, but for some reason Knytt Stories was a lot better in my opinion. I think it may be because the music is more noticeable and because of the level-editor (which I never used, but I played and enjoyed some custom levels).

knytt is a game that you could show to a non-gamer to get them interested in games since it's so simple and easy
It's kind of difficult to explain what you do in the game without getting a "that sounds boring" reaction, though.

Also, as nice as KnyttWaDF (that is a working title, right?) looks, I still prefer the simple aesthetic of Knytt Stories.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »

The screenshot's background looks really pretty. I'm not sure whether I prefer it to the WaDF/Knytt style, though.

...one thing: I don't like the silhouettes. They work okay in that screenshot, but I feel that a whole lot more atmosphere and heart comes from the Knytt-style gardens and tiles.

On the topic of boring-ness: I didn't like Knytt because a lot of the environment wasn't as interesting as I thought it could be. For example, the desert area is pretty plain. I did like Knytt Stories and WADF because they (A) had challenges to make up for any lost interest and (B) had way more interesting settings - think of the crystal cave in WADF or the entire last section of "My Super Secret Basement".

However, there was one area I liked in Knytt.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:13:19 PM by Paint by Numbers » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »

I kind-of see this as Nifflas going back to "what he knows best" after the relative failures of Saira and FiNCK. I'm sad, because I really liked those two. Oh, well. I like KS and WADF too.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic