Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:45:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDescribe yourself with other people quotes
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Describe yourself with other people quotes  (Read 8133 times)
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2010, 06:52:29 AM »

Having read, and responded to the thread about life, I got the inspiration (?) to start a thread about quotes.

Not any old quotes, not the best ones, nor the funniest, but quotes that mean something to you, that touch a nerve, that just "click". I'm talking about quotes that agree with your mentality, describe you're religious leaning, or whatever. Another reason to start this thread was to sort of take a peek into the minds of the people on tigsource. Who would they associate themselves with, which quotes, and why.
I'll start to show what I mean:
(feel free to deviate from the formula, but try to keep it to quotes that describe you)
Quote from: "Alan Moore/V for Vendetta
Everybody is special. Everybody. Everybody is a hero, a lover, a fool, a villain, everybody. Everybody has their story to tell...
The defining factor behind my pacifism. I cant abide the idea of killing a unique individual.
Quote from: "Isaac Asimov
Isaac Asimov - I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
To me, this is a teaching about the lack of education in the world, and the Ignorance of the majority of the developed world, and its harmful consequences.
Quote from: Alan Moore/Watchmen/Janey Slater
Some things, once they're busted, they can't ever be fixed.
'Nuff said.
Quote from: Alan moore
The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy or the grey aliens or the 12 foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.

Your turn:

shig
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:22:05 AM »

Funny coincidence; I actually began to make a text file of quotes that reflect my strongest beliefs and/or that sums up things that are important to have in mind regarding how human beings and the world work.

My idea was printing at home a small book with a number of these quotes in each page, grouped according to theme and subject. After I making that small book, I want to read one page at the start of every day, to keep my principles and complicated philosophic/psychologic stuff fresh during the rest of the day.

Right now, it only has a bunch of quotes from The Drunkard's Walk(a book on randomness and probability) and two more quotes.

I've just added that last one from Alan Moore into the .txt file, altho I think I'll cut it off from the list, since the The Drunkard's Walk quotes already address that same point.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »

Oh god, it would take me WEEKS to find all my favourite quotes, so I'm just gonna put the first one I could find and stop there Wink

Quote from: Witold Gombrowicz, Journal 1959
You want to know who you are? Don't ask. Take actions. Your actions will define you. You will know yourself by your actions. But you must act as "myself", as an individual, because you can only be certain of your own needs, bias, passion and necessities. Only such action is direct, is truly bringing yourself out of chaos, is autocreation. Isn't everything else just reciting, fulfilling patterns, kitsch?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:39:06 AM »

See signature.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »

Netsu: I really love that one! But feel free to post again and add more if you find them...

Moi: Then I'm going to go with this:

Renton
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 09:27:29 AM »

See signature.
If Lil Wayne actually quoted that in a song, I will find him and kiss him on the tongue.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »

See signature.
If Lil Wayne actually quoted that in a song, I will find him and kiss him on the tongue.
It's inspired by a Facebook status update I read where a quote by someone else (Jimi Hendrix I think) was wrongly attributed to Lil Wayne.  Wink
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »

New one:
Quote from: Douglas Adams
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:36 AM »

Netsu: I really love that one! But feel free to post again and add more if you find them...
Thanks, I have more interesting quotes from Gombrowicz's journal marked in the books, but I have to translate them, so it's not that handy.
Anyway, another one I like, dunno if my translation does it any justice:

Quote from: Jacek Dukaj, "Ice"
Sir, you think that you think and therefore you exist. You are wrong.

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 10:29:51 AM »

Worth- Cube
This may be hard for you to understand, but there is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan. Can you grasp that? Big Brother is not watching you.

Andrew Ryan- Bioshock
A man chooses, a slave obeys.

Douglas Adams
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »

very naise
-borat
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »

Well, well, one year passed
And believe it or not
She covered every last inch of the entire sidewalk,
And she stopped-
"Lucy, after all this, you're just giving in today??"
She said:
"I'm not giving in, I'm finished," and walked away
-Aesop Rock, No Regrets

Yes, but can you turn a penny into that same penny and have everyone know the difference?
-GXE

If he's laying there saying he's sorry,
tell him it's okay we learn this way.
- Grandaddy

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 12:20:38 PM »

Scrap list of quotes.

"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they’ll go."
- Sanae Hanekoma

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different."
- The Cheshire Cat

"It's soothing to realize that my mind's processes are inherently uncontrollable."
- Rudy Rucker

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
- Bertrand Russell

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
JoGribbs
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »

I don't get people. What's their appeal, precisely? They waddle around with their haircuts on, cluttering the pavement like gormless, farting skittles. They're awful.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »

The nefarious cloud that blooms in the statue of the sky will savagely crystallize the meaning of the river in the lamb's hand.
-Julius P. McTweedleworth
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »

I concentrated on writers and forgot about those:

Quote from: Albert Einstein
Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the "old one." I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice.

Quote from: Scroobius Pip
So when you think you've got your happy ending don't ever forget it,
It ain't over til you hear the sound of your end credits,
You'll be waiting for the beat to kick in,
But it never does

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »

Yo being nice is my whole shit now
- Kanye West

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

Yo being nice is my whole shit now
- Kanye West
Cheesy Well played.

Kuppo
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »

As long as there is a lower class, I am in it.  As long as there is a criminal element, I am of it.  As long as there is a soul in prison, I am not free.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic