Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:05:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe designer's workshop
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: The designer's workshop  (Read 105683 times)
Friend
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »

Describe your games by their contents, not by what era you're (probably clumsily) trying to copy. :p
Would it then be safe to say that the word "retro" is a negative attribute when applied to a games graphical description?

The cake is a pie!!!
Youknowme
Level 0

Dude...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2013, 03:47:19 AM »

Describe your games by their contents, not by what era you're (probably clumsily) trying to copy. :p
Would it then be safe to say that the word "retro" is a negative attribute when applied to a games graphical description?
Yes, I would agree... even if I do say so myself.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »

Blink Blink

What if I wasnt raised with "retro" games and my first games happened to be some weird ass 3d ones?

Then your 3D ones are "your retro," and the 2D old-school ones might be novelty. Wink

Garmy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2013, 04:27:13 AM »

I'm not into 'retro' games because of the way they look (even though I think some of them look pretty damn good). I like retro games because of the way they feel and play.

The biggest issue for me is that you know exactly where the hit detection is. I love Rayman Origins, but it's not always super clear where a platform starts and where Rayman's base is, or if some projectile is going to hit you or not. This is also true with The Binding of Isaac, but not the Meat Boy games.

I run https://www.develteam.com - an Indie Game Development Community
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »

Yeah the platform thing in Rayman Origins is a mistake. If there's a subtle visual difference between platform-end and platform-not-end, then there should be a subtle difference between the consequences of making a jump right before, or right after, a platform end.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:52:49 PM by Graham. » Logged
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2013, 06:01:42 AM »

I dislike retro games that are intentionally trying to be "retro" and say the game is inspired by games like Megaman, Metroid, or Zelda. I praise games that try something unique and JUST HAPPEN to have pixel graphics. I honestly feel nothing for Shovel Knight. It's Megaman with a shovel...wow, awesome? C-Wars on the other hand looks like it's gonna be a wonderful addition to the Vita library (though it will be coming out for the 3DS, Wii U, PC, and iOS as well).

Yeah the platform thing in Rayman Origins is a mistake. If there's a subtle visual difference between platform-end and platform-not-end, then there should be a subtle difference between the consequences of making a jump right before, or right after, a platform end.

The platforming in Rayman Origins was never precise like say...Super Meat Boy though. I don't remember dying in Origins because of a miscalculated jump. Perhaps Ubisoft already knew about this and made the jumping very forgiving. Plus, everyone has a hover ability!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »

The biggest issue for me is that you know exactly where the hit detection is. I love Rayman Origins, but it's not always super clear where a platform starts and where Rayman's base is, or if some projectile is going to hit you or not.

It's what happens when you let artists take total control of the game .. same thing happened with Earthworm Jim.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2013, 07:41:19 AM »

I dislike retro games that are intentionally trying to be "retro" and say the game is inspired by games like Megaman, Metroid, or Zelda. I praise games that try something unique and JUST HAPPEN to have pixel graphics. I honestly feel nothing for Shovel Knight. It's Megaman with a shovel...wow, awesome? C-Wars on the other hand looks like it's gonna be a wonderful addition to the Vita library (though it will be coming out for the 3DS, Wii U, PC, and iOS as well).

So if someone has good intentions, but doesn't have a great idea for a game, but wants to make something, and goes 'hey i loved zelda as a kid i wanna bring that to the younger generations'. Sure it's been done a load before... and that person is trying to produce a retro game, because thats the kind he wants to make.
Is this still a bad thing? Sure it's not entirely original (really in the slightest), but if this is what someone wants to produce... is it bad?
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »

So if someone has good intentions, but doesn't have a great idea for a game, but wants to make something, and goes 'hey i loved zelda as a kid i wanna bring that to the younger generations'. Sure it's been done a load before... and that person is trying to produce a retro game, because thats the kind he wants to make.
Is this still a bad thing? Sure it's not entirely original (really in the slightest), but if this is what someone wants to produce... is it bad?

Not bad at all! People can do whatever they want. But what you just said is what bothers me about these games. That it is not original and has been done plenty of times in the past. So I honestly shrug off any game that leads towards this retro/nostalgic direction.

It'd be nice if more people went a step up from "retro" and referenced back to say...PS1 times? There was a game featured on Destructoid that was a big homage to FF7 and old RPGs with rendered backgrounds. Now that is pretty cool in my opinion.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »

Early 3D graphics like those of the PS aren't remembered fondly by many people. They're like the 3D equivalent of Atari 2600 graphics; most of it just isn't pleasant to look at today. (not to mention how painfully slow they were most of the time)

FF7 in particular is often held up as an example a game that really didn't age well graphically.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:31:45 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »

Haha, yeah, FF7 looks (and sounds) like crap now. I was talking more about game design and art design, not so much as the actual quality of the graphics. I'm talkin fixed camera angles, rendered backgrounds, and turn-based battle systems as a few examples.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2013, 11:54:41 PM »

I've got to admit, though not many people like it, I kinda want to see another 'well polished' early 3D graphic polygon type game.

I say 'well polished' in inverted commas because I'm sure loads of people will go 'how can those graphics ever look polished'.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »

There's plenty of good looking low poly 3d model art out there.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2013, 03:39:19 AM »

Not bad at all! People can do whatever they want. But what you just said is what bothers me about these games. That it is not original and has been done plenty of times in the past. So I honestly shrug off any game that leads towards this retro/nostalgic direction.

It'd be nice if more people went a step up from "retro" and referenced back to say...PS1 times? There was a game featured on Destructoid that was a big homage to FF7 and old RPGs with rendered backgrounds. Now that is pretty cool in my opinion.

Problem with these new retro games is that they are not good as they where back in days.  They where AAA titles back then.. so if someone really want make retro game then please don't try sell it only with  16-8 bit retro graphic or music nostalgia or old gameplay system... ...  Make new thing.. make it works and make the game good..
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »

GIVE
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »

GIVE

For starters, check these out .. http://kennethfejer.deviantart.com/
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »

nice, but any games?
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »

nice, but any games?

lots of Korean MMOs? Haha. Some of them have nice low poly models.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »

nice, but any games?
get a 3DS check for latter polygonal rpg, start with 4 warrior of light, get a look at dragon ball origin too, the ds is very similar to a psx/n64 performance but with better texture.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »

nice, but any games?

I actually think FF3 for the DS has pretty nice low poly 3d

http://www.romstation.fr/uploads/c28a5897e52145d840974874fae9b607.jpg

But maybe that's not what you were looking for...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic