Alright, since the stage as garnered quite a bit of support, I got permission to start a topic for a Minecraft
stage. So, here are the ideas so far!Destructible Terrain
The stage will be made up of several large blocks. These blocks are destructible, and should have some sort of "HP" variable that decreases as players hit the block. After its HP reaching 0, the block will be destroyed and will enter "respawn" mode. In respawn mode, the block is not solid and for the most part has no effect on anything. However, after a while, the block will slowly begin to "fade in" (I'm thinking of using image_alpha), and when it's exactly 50% transparent/opaque, the block will enter "place" mode. In place mode, the block waits until there are NO objects in it's area, and return to a normal block with its HP completely restored.
- Blocks should take more damage when attacked from belowLevel Layout
The stage will be as basic as can be, there will just be some blocks taking up ~half of the screen that can be destroyed. There should be, however, a 'bedrock' layer on the bottom of the screen, which CAN NOT
be destroyed. This limits the players to only being able to knock each other off of the sides of the screen, but mainly this is to ensure there will always be a place for players to fight on. Here's a sketch of a level:Day/Night System
In order to make the stage interesting, I propose a time system similar to the actual minecraft game. During the day, the game is totally normal, so the players can focus on beating eachother senseless. When night falls, however, things get more interesting. I was thinking two (pretty big) skeletons appear on the sides of the stage, wielding a bow, and periodically they will shoot arrows into the stage. These arrows deal LOTS of damage, and also get their own <!> symbol to let players know what they have to dodge. Here's a sketch of that.Nether!
The nether would be another great monotony breaker for the stage. Every (1~2 minutes?), a giant, swirling purple spiral appears in the background layer. It fades in and covers the entire background layer (tiles included, players excluded), then fades out showing the Nether. All visible blocks are turned into "Nether" blocks, and a new landscape should be seen in the backgrounds. In addition, blocks that are in respawn mode are reset to 0, and can not spawn until the stage leaves the Nether. Finally, GHASTS should appear in the near background layer, and shoot projectiles into the screen (no gravity), these again shown by <!> symbols. The projectiles should be on fire, and when they make contact with a player HEAVY damage is dealt. To make it easier to avoid, though, I think they should be given a "z" value (that only hits the player when it reaches 0 (starts at like, 45 and decreases by 1 every step?)) and a very slow speed to give players ample time to dodge. They should also be very linear.
- If the projectiles are attacked by a player (when they're within a 5 "z" range) they are reflected and become completely harmless.
So anyway, after 20~30 seconds, the swirling spiral returns and brings the stage back into the regular world. All blocks that were destroyed enter "place" mode, and the stage resumes as if nothing had ever happened. Also, here's a Nether sketch.STUFF NEEDED
- Tiles for the destructible terrain. They should be large (I'm thinking 80x80) and blocky (not too much curves/AA). 4 Tiles: Dirt, Dirt w/ Grass on top, Bedrock and Nether dirt. All of those links point to an image of the in-game version, but please let's try to make our own.
- Skeletons! They should also be pretty big, and should wield a bow and have a short animation of shooting arrows.
- A Ghast!
- Purple, spiral background that can rotate.
- Background landscapes. These should be made up of tiles, so hopefully this will make things easier. Also, try to include biomes to make it more interesting (Snow tiles, tree tiles, sand tiles, cactus tiles etc.)
- A sun and a moon!
So those are the ideas thus far. Discussion is always open, so feel free to post your thoughts![/list]