Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:55:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe New Music Challenge Mark II
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The New Music Challenge Mark II  (Read 11090 times)
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:30 AM »

Okay!  The topic for this round:

Write a piece that starts out suspenseful, like tense music when you know something big is going to happen.  Then make it transition into music you would hear when the character is being chased.  So, tense and suspenseful into chase music.

Good luck!

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
jimmykane
Level 0

100% jimmykane, all the time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »

Let's see what I can do with pxtone...

www.chairmanwow.net/jaf - Exciting radio show, if you're excited about Edinburgh?
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »

Ha ha...this thread's a little slower than the last one.  Just thought I'd check in and see how people were coming along.  I've started my piece for this challenge, and I'm still aiming for this Thursday to have it done.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »

I liked this as an inspiration but I have been swamped with stuff.  Also now the procgen compo is beckoning me.  I may try to salvage some stuff out of musagi yet and just post it way late.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
increpare
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 06:34:51 PM »

Is there a deadline for this?
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »

Ok, I started working on something today and I got about halfway through.  But since this has been sitting around too long I'm posting it anyway so people can tell me if it sounds interesting or if it needs an overhaul.

This is the sort of slightly-spooky suspenseful bit for the first half.  It's pretty minimal, with the thought in my head being a sort of stealth survival game where the player will be listening really intently for sfx.

The stuff running around in my head right now for the transition is probably to have a break in the melody-bassline-whatever bit and then have the drums get faster and more complex, and then bring in a different melody bit that's less minor-chord and more energetic.

Yeah, that's a while away though.  :D

Ok tell me if this at least sounds fun!

josh's suspense-chase thing

Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 08:56:09 PM »

I like it a lot.  It reminds me of the cave levels in the Mario games.

I'll work on something of my own, now.
increpare
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 06:30:40 AM »

Ok, I started working on something today and I got about halfway through.  But since this has been sitting around too long I'm posting it anyway so people can tell me if it sounds interesting or if it needs an overhaul.

This is the sort of slightly-spooky suspenseful bit for the first half.  It's pretty minimal, with the thought in my head being a sort of stealth survival game where the player will be listening really intently for sfx.

The stuff running around in my head right now for the transition is probably to have a break in the melody-bassline-whatever bit and then have the drums get faster and more complex, and then bring in a different melody bit that's less minor-chord and more energetic.

Yeah, that's a while away though.  :D

Ok tell me if this at least sounds fun!

josh's suspense-chase thing
I think that sounds fun; I'd totally be good with that being in my background.
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 06:46:34 AM »

Is there a deadline for this?

Well, Thursday is the day to aim for, but if you don't have one in by then, that's cool too.  Mostly we just want to hear people's music.

increpare
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »

Hmm: pxtone is great! 

I make no claims as to the quality of my entry though.  :D

increpare's suspense-chase thing
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:33:44 AM by increpare » Logged
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »

Both of the entries so far are great!  I'll have mine done by Thursday for sure.

For any of you who didn't catch the last challenge, I'll pick someone who I think stands out to decide what the next challenge should be.  Then they will decide who picks the next, and so forth.  Let's see some more entries!

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »

Hmm: pxtone is great! 

I make no claims as to the quality of my entry though.  :D

increpare's suspense-chase thing

Very nice!  I strongly approve of the chiptune goodness.

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »

Decided to give this a try.  The result could've been more suspenseful Undecided, but the chase part turned out ok I think.  Made with PxTone.

lab.ogg
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »

Okay!  I finally got mine done.  It's not my best, but it was a rush job since I was so busy last week.  It's a full orchestral score, which I'm trying to get better at mixing.  Enjoy!

You Can't Hide Forever

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »

Okay I wouldn't call this DONE, but for the last week or so I've been mildly incapacitated by depression and I'm realizing now how much catching up I've got to do so it's probably as good as it's gonna get for now :D
The Collapse of Civilization
(Made in Reason)

I hope y'all don't mind some constructive criticism?

Increpare: Yours has a lot of tension which I like, and I especially like where it turns kind of reflective just before the 'chase' bit. The suggestions I might make would be to delay introducing the percussion so it makes a bit bigger of an impact. Also, you might want to study how chiptune artists use bass, because the low end seems a little stale compared to the elegance and complexity in the high frequencies.

mjau: Yours reminds me VERY much of Metroid at the beginning. That can only be a good thing! The chase is properly exciting as well, and the one complaint I might have is that it seems a little meandering, like someone just improvising on a theme. The part where I think it sounds most 'purposeful' would be at around 1:25, where the sequence descends. I like this composition very much, I'd just be interested in seeing what it could sound like if it were restructured a little.  Grin

RadRuss: Oh man, this reminds me of the music for the heart of the castle from Symphony of the Night SO MUCH. I can't really criticize this one at all, not just because it's awesome but also because this is a style of music I'm PARTICULARLY bad at. I can at least say that while I'm REALLY feeling the tension and suspense, I'm not sure where the chase is in all this. Outstanding piece, regardless.

Obviously, if any of you want to rip my piece apart in revenge, feel free to do so  :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:29:02 AM by Kobel » Logged

increpare
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 02:20:12 AM »

Okay!  I finally got mine done.  It's not my best, but it was a rush job since I was so busy last week.  It's a full orchestral score, which I'm trying to get better at mixing.  Enjoy!

You Can't Hide Forever
I was quite impressed by that.  The feeling of suspense is quite good, without being cliched, and the glissandi strings work quite well.

The only thing that came to my mind that might be worth saying in terms of criticism here was to ask whether or not you've considered thinning out the opening, 'suspense' section at all?

Increpare: Yours has a lot of tension which I like, and I especially like where it turns kind of reflective just before the 'chase' bit. The suggestions I might make would be to delay introducing the percussion so it makes a bit bigger of an impact. Also, you might want to study how chiptune artists use bass, because the low end seems a little stale compared to the elegance and complexity in the high frequencies.
Thanks.  And: good criticism.  Sure, I gotta add some sort of bass-line.  (Was my first try; I'll have to  I'll try out delaying the percussion as well.

I really like the harmonic shifts in your piece dude (all done via pitch-bends, or were they already in the sample?)  And generally I found the harmonic content of the opening part to be really striking and beautiful.   I felt that it sort of lost some of its inventiveness in this respect as time went on.

There was a real gradual 'slide' into the chase section, felt as if the pursuers were very gradually, maybe even insiduously, sliding into position.  But it also felt a little bit doomed to failure to me  Sad  (the pursuit).   Which isn't at all a bad thing.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 02:32:25 AM »

I really like the harmonic shifts in your piece dude (all done via pitch-bends, or were they already in the sample?)
That was an instrument I made on the Thor synthesizer; so, yeah, the pitch bends were built into the instrument, but it wasn't a sample  Smiley

I felt that it sort of lost some of its inventiveness in this respect as time went on.
Yeah, the deadline was coming up and everything. I think the piece as a whole needed more patterns written for it, because as it stands it reuses them more than I generally like (though it at least mixes them up to get different sounds out of them). Oh well, perhaps I'll revisit it sometime in the not too distant future. I think it has potential.

increpare
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »

I felt that it sort of lost some of its inventiveness in this respect as time went on.
Yeah, the deadline was coming up and everything. I think the piece as a whole needed more patterns written for it, because as it stands it reuses them more than I generally like (though it at least mixes them up to get different sounds out of them).
I agree, and thought it was quite effective in its use of instrumentation/sound-combinations/whatever, and didn't find it got *dull* or anything, just that it was less interesting in one particular respect as it progressed... . 

(tried adding a bass-line just there, didn't quite work out; I will definitely keep registral-balance issues in mind for the next comp. though Smiley )
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 07:34:10 AM »

Increpare:  You're probably right...just a tad less in the beginning would probably hold the sound together and still get the point across.  I was so focused on the second half I kind of ignored the beginning after I finished it.

Kobel:  Just for the record, the "chase" part of my piece starts at around 30 seconds, when the ostinato strings start up and you start hearing big orchestral hits.

Okay, now the moment of truth!  I think that mjau's piece was a fantastic handling of a chiptune style, and that he should pick our next topic.  Great job everyone, I can tell that this was a bit of a challenge!  I know it was for me.

Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 08:24:27 AM »

Over already?

Oh, well, I'll do it next time.

I can't really pick my favorite, because I couldn't download Kobel's piece.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic