Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:28:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe New Music Challenge Mark II
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The New Music Challenge Mark II  (Read 11091 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 08:27:22 AM »

wheeeeee! roll on the next competition.  I'm totally excited to see what our next brief will be Smiley
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »

Whoops! Sorry about that! Thanks for pointing that out Metroidvaniac, I've fixed the link now.
In the future, I'd recommend whoever's the active chooser pass the choice on a day or two ahead of time, just to make sure there's no gap. I'm sure mjau will be in soon enough to provide the next theme, but on the off chance he isn't in by Friday I think I'll jump in.

Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »

Whoops! Sorry about that! Thanks for pointing that out Metroidvaniac, I've fixed the link now.

Thanks.

Obviously, if any of you want to rip my piece apart in revenge, feel free to do so  :D

OK.  The beginning really wasn't all that suspenseful.  It had more of a melancholy feel to it.  The "chase" wasn't really differentiated well - it sounded like you just built on the beginning and then ended the song.  I also hate dissonance - which your piece is full of.

Well, now that I've listened to them all, I think that I can nominate Mjau's music as the winner.  The chippy sound was perfect, the different sections fitted together well, and it really got the mood across.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:52 AM »

I finished my song, finally!  I would've done a little more tweaking with the drums in the final section, but musagi has been acting up a wee bit. Nevertheless, in all other respects it was super fun making this song with it.

Same URL as before:
josh's suspense-chase thing

Constructive criticism is more than welcome, although keep in mind I am a music n00b.  I know a minor scale from a major scale if I hear it and that's about as complicated as I get.  :D

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »

Wow, thanks guys!  I'll post the new thread in a little bit.

mjau: Yours reminds me VERY much of Metroid at the beginning. That can only be a good thing! The chase is properly exciting as well, and the one complaint I might have is that it seems a little meandering, like someone just improvising on a theme. The part where I think it sounds most 'purposeful' would be at around 1:25, where the sequence descends. I like this composition very much, I'd just be interested in seeing what it could sound like if it were restructured a little.  Grin

It probably sounds like improvising because that's exactly what I did :D (well, I think...  it's a little unnerving because I never know where the tunes I make come from, if I'm just subconsciously remembering something else or making things up.  Probably a bit of both).  But yeah, I'm pretty new at this music creation thing, so some basic things like, uh, structure, still eludes me.  Have to work on that.

Anyway, great work everyone!  I'll go post the new thread now.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »

I finished my song, finally!  I would've done a little more tweaking with the drums in the final section, but musagi has been acting up a wee bit. Nevertheless, in all other respects it was super fun making this song with it.

Same URL as before:
josh's suspense-chase thing

Constructive criticism is more than welcome, although keep in mind I am a music n00b.  I know a minor scale from a major scale if I hear it and that's about as complicated as I get.  :D

Anyone give this a listen yet?  Forget the "music noob" disclaimer and just tell me the gory details (technical terms and all) of what you thought.  I'd rather learn something from this than feel like it got missed entirely for being a day late.

increpare
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 03:10:54 AM »

Anyone give this a listen yet? 
I did listen to it when you posted, but I couldn't think of too much to say (being a really newbie when it comes to those sorts of things), except that I think, for the first section, I preferred the sparser texture of V1 that you posted before.  Erm..you could maybe spice up the chase section (C) by coming up with a contrasting, but still chasey few bars (C') and sandwiching it between two copies of C.  That'd give the work more mileage maybe.  Also: I personally found the direct repeats of the melody in the chase section a bit dull.  Not sure how you might go about doing that successfully off hand though...
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 08:47:12 AM »

When you're in the chase part, repeating the melody is fine, but to give it some flavor you should add in a countermelody or additional sound on the second or third round of that melody so that it doesn't get repetitive.  Also, your piece needs a conclusion, it just stops at the end.  Hope that helps!

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »

When you're in the chase part, repeating the melody is fine, but to give it some flavor you should add in a countermelody or additional sound on the second or third round of that melody so that it doesn't get repetitive.  Also, your piece needs a conclusion, it just stops at the end.  Hope that helps!

Cool, thanks for the tip.  A countermelody is a good idea.

The lack of ending was mostly because I was still thinking of this as primarily game music, which would've been looping and so probably wouldn't need an ending.

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 07:06:52 AM »

Of course!  Embarrassed  Sorry about that.  I wasn't even considering that it would loop.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 07:39:49 AM »

No problem.  Grin  In retrospect it would've been dead easy to indicate the idea of a continuing loop with a simple fade-out, anyway.

increpare
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »

No problem.  Grin  In retrospect it would've been dead easy to indicate the idea of a continuing loop with a simple fade-out, anyway.

If there's material to be repeated, I would repeat it once and then fade...
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »

I find fading boring. Even if it's meant to be a loop, I would add someting to indicate that this is the end and nothing more exists. If I would show that loop. Unlooped. :D

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 09:19:05 AM »

Whatever works.  Maybe a heads up ahead of time that it does loop would be cool, although now I'll just assume any piece that ends abruptly is supposed to loop.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic