Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:39:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFavourite indie game trailers?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Favourite indie game trailers?  (Read 4948 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:45:23 AM »

As I'm putting one together right now, it got me to thinking about which ones had an effect on me.  I always think of cactus'

trailer as one that really stood out.

So which ones did you like?  Share links if you have a second.  Cheers!  Coffee

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:13:43 AM »

Even if the gameplay isn't really obvious at first glance, this one always amaze me :
http://4fourths.com/

Set the sound volume high.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 03:09:52 AM »

Ah yeah I was thinking of this one too, but I'd completely forgotten what game it was for.  Wicked editing and music.  Great selection, Klaim!

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:18 AM »

I love excellent trailers. I'd love to make some once I finish my game. Each time I ear music that might be what I need for a trailer, I make a mental montage.

I think you souldn't limit the search of excellent trailers to just indie games, nor only games.

For example, the original trailer of Rez is something that is just exactly to the point :

(and in a sense, very indy-spirit)

I also like to watch regularly the orignial trailers of Wipeout HD and Wipeout Fusion, but I can't find them at the moment.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »

I'm getting the impression that peoples idea of a good trailer is just lots of noise and flashing images. Anyone got any examples that aren't so frenetic, or is that indeed what makes a trailer good?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:14:15 AM »

Even if the gameplay isn't really obvious at first glance, this one always amaze me :
http://4fourths.com/

Set the sound volume high.
Wow, masterpiece!

mirosurabu
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »

@Oddball

Not necessarily. Trailers/teasers with lots of random stuff flashing just don't work on me. The Rez doesn't work on me for example.

4fourths video is really impressive though but it doesn't make me want to look forward to game... becuase it doesn't look like a video game teaser and it tells me little about the game itself.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:28:14 AM by Miroslav Malesevic » Logged
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:33:14 AM »

IjI had a great trailer

http://www.youtube.com/user/InfiniteStateMachine?feature=mhum#p/a/f/2/33mxD4FjD3w

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:30:25 AM »

Here are some of my favorite trailers:

Super Meat Boy

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »

I'm getting the impression that peoples idea of a good trailer is just lots of noise and flashing images. Anyone got any examples that aren't so frenetic, or is that indeed what makes a trailer good?

I love the first one about Aquaria. It made me bought the game. It's more about ambiant mood than about flashing things (but the graphics are apealing anyway). You don't put it in the same "noise flashing images" category don't you?

I posted those two because indeed it's easier to make dynamic apealing trailers with simple but dynamic graphics associated with noise-based and new-electro music. It's highly effective and I'm making a game that is particularly suited to this kind of thing.

But for a mood-based game I would take another path.

I was thinking.... how would have been a short trailer for MineCraft? That's kind of hard to imagine because it's not appealing graphically or on audio... so making an appealing montage about it is pretty hard (I mean without just showing an impressive construct).

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »

I'm getting the impression that peoples idea of a good trailer is just lots of noise and flashing images.

Not as I see it...  It's rather that the sample of ones that people have mentioned are good examples of this style, not that this is the only good style of tralier.  I could equally have mentioned

as a nice atmospheric one.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »

barkley, shut up and jam, gaiden (teaser trailer version)

zoo race

vvvvvv

lylian's trailer

one of the aquaria trailers (i forget what its name was, it was the one in the middle: not the first one and not the one just before release)

that trailer about that mcdonald's-parody rpg by that funny guy

many more; i'll add to this list and provide links later

ink.inc
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 12:34:30 PM »

Fez.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »

I really liked this trailer (except the LOOOONG credits intro),

form Iji.

I based my trailer (

) partially on it. And partially on Geometry Wars 2 trailer on the Bizarre Creations site.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »

Fez.

Oh yes, those trailers are excellent. But a bit long maybe. Like it's production.

It just hit me that Fez might be named as a joke related to Rez?

BoxedLunch
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »

brain damaged toon underworld
fez
super crate box
girl
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »

no one likes my trailer *sniff*

btw: this one is nice:

Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »

I agree with tzachs about the Super Meat Boy video.  It's really creative, and I love the 90's video game industry vibe ("DO THE MATH!").  I think when Lunar Giant does their next video, I'll keep that kind of humor in mind.  You can't underestimate how far inside jokes like that go with an indie-minded crowd.

On another note, I think our first video for Delve Deeper is actually pretty darn good, and it's received a lot of praise.  It was completely done with open source music on top of straight-up gameplay video. 

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »

Not great trailers, but I like how these turned out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiaAOUtzSQ

The voice-overs were really fun.

theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »

That Castle Smash trailer was lovely. It did what it was suppose to do, entertain, keep viewer's interest.

Too bad I did not see a link to it

-The (overly) ambitious open source cross-platform game engine.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic