Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:23:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHigh Noon Balloon
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: High Noon Balloon  (Read 3094 times)
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »

There Is Nothing In The Air Like The High Adventure Of “High Noon Balloon”!

Hello everybody, I’ve been playing around with Stencyl lately and I finished a small game called High Noon Balloon.

It is a arcade shooter where you shoot and avoid cacti before they pop your balloon. More cacti spawn as your score goes up and there is no real ending. See how far you can get, and have fun!

http://jajitsu.com/games-html/High-Noon-balloon
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:30:36 AM by JaJitsu » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »

kinda got tired removing my hand from my keyboard so I can grab my mouse and click the game screen to restart. I guess that's also a general flash annoyance and not just strictly you.

the hitbox on the balloon seems to be very large, there are times when I feel like I should missed an enemy but in fact died. maybe lower the pistol shooting volume, as it's very loud.

I loved the graphics and the music and for such a simple game I did find enjoyment in it.
Mar
Level 1

Bat-Llama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »

YOU PLAY AS PABLO.
that's the guys name.
Pablo. Wizard

dammit.

"insta-fucking-ly"
BoxedLunch
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »

looks fantastic. i didn't get very far, only about 611. good luck with stencyl! Gentleman
Vinnie
Level 0

funzo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »

Got to about 800 every time and then I'd slip up like a pro.  Well, hello there!

I agree with allen, I don't think there was a need to click to start again, space bar would of done the same job.

The only thing that annoyed me was the guys up the top. You can't touch them at all so you are forced to stay in the lower part of the screen, but then again that was just one of the things that made it somewhat challenging.

Other than that it is a good game. Graphics were nice.   Smiley
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »

Thanks guys.

@Allen: Yeah I'll definitely change click to a key soon.
I can lower the gun volume and make the hitbox smaller too.

@Vinnie: I had to have a few at the top or else you could stay at the top of the screen invincible, haha

Also I'm probably going to add in some extra points for each cactus balloon you pop.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »

Also I'm probably going to add in some extra points for each cactus balloon you pop.

I was actually going to suggest that but forgot to in my post. Read me mind  Wizard
Mad_Mac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »

Got to 1859 points, then it got pretty impossible. Very addictive little game Coffee.

I don't have anything to add to earlier proposals. After you add those, it will be perfect Tongue.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

Cute pixel art and neat little game. Different enemy types and something like powerups would be nice.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »

I like the art a lot but more visual feedback on shooting would be nice. Like a gun recoil and a firecone or something.

Got to a 1000 btw.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 06:32:19 PM »

I fixed a few things that people mentioned, but overall nothing big.
the game is updated on my site

ink.inc
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »

High score of 4552. Just keep on spamming the 'a' button whilst moving up and down. Enemies spawn offscreen, so you can hit them before they even get into the view.

Edit: New high score of 6651.
Fredrik_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »

Got to about 3000 and it was a bit challeging but I would like to get some powerups and some other types of enemies, maybe some birds or something that chase you and try to hit your ballon.

Try my games at: http://www.casualgames.nu/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Fredrik___

And please do send your feedback to me!
Yngram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 09:29:40 PM »

I have to agree with Fredrik, a little variety in the enemies would go a long way. Some different gun types or other power-ups like he mentioned would be great too.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »

Enemies and power ups are defiantly a possibility, but with other projects and school the priority is lower.

Thanks everyone again for the feedback! Glad you all think it's a fun little game.

wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 02:42:33 AM »

Nice one  Smiley very "kiss", great art, great music  Grin

Euh - my only problem is that after dying I couldn't figure out how to replay without refreshing the page. The screen just keeps on scrolling without you  Cry

Kevin
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »

Eighty-six hundred and ninety-four points, ladies.

This is simple, but fun. Great art, great name, great theme. Throwing in some of the community's suggestions could greatly amplify this thing's inherent addictiveness.
Eraser
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »

Well, it's just too weird to have the cacti spawning at the top when they can't even be killed...

I got 6500 or so. Would obviously like to see this game developed more, it's more like a 30 second game right now in terms of play time and interest.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »

This was a nice way to spend a lunch break. I cannot swoon over your graphics enough, seriously. As others have mentioned, it breaks the flow of the game to have cacti in an unshootable spot. You could either tweak their spawn points to make them all destructible, or you could even it out by having indestructible, grounded cacti (that visibly are part of the foreground) occasionally spawn near the bottom that you'd have to avoid. Just to throw it out there, but a simple enemy (who could even follow the same flight path as the cacti) that cannot get shot down would add some flair.

jcdied4me
Level 0

Lets make something cool!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »

I think some slight vertical parallax would be nice to further reinforce that he is flying in the air rather than stationed on the ground. It would also add a little visual bite to help the player feel like he is in control.

You also may add some camera speed shifts. So if the player moves forward a little the speed should increase in the perceived forward movement. Conversely, if the player pushes backwards then the perceived speed should slow down. And when the player releases control the character would spring back to neutral position on the screen and the speed of the scrolling should shift back to normal.

Thanks!

Jeff
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic