Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:28:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallOpenClonk - Back to the Rocks 1.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OpenClonk - Back to the Rocks 1.0  (Read 4082 times)
PeterW
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »

Moin TIGSource

Some of you might know Clonk - or remember it from when it was featured here on the site (thanks!). It is essentially a German indie 2D side-scrolling sandbox game, to use adjectives. Alternatively you could describe it to be somewhere between Worms, Settlers and Soldat.

Well, we have gone through some changes lately. The original author matthes (head of Redwolf Design) is now doing professional game development full-time. Therefore he declared that he wouldn't have time for Clonk development anymore, effectively freezing his efforts on Clonk Rage and Clonk Extreme. Instead, the source code of the Clonk Rage engine was released as open source, to allow the existing development team of fans (like me) to continue their efforts.

To not become a competition to Clonk Rage, the sources were made incompatible to Clonk Rage content. For us, this is a unique opportunity to redesign everything from the ground up. The aim is to gradually "reinvent" Clonk while learning from the decade of experience we have with development of this game. Right now, we are finished with the basic movement and combat elements of Clonk and therefore for the first time have an actual game that people can play. Hence this release post.

TLDR: Clonk has been reborn as OpenClonk. And maybe it will end up better than ever. We will see. I hate hyperbole.

Some useful links:

Download: http://www.openclonk.org/download/ (Mac coming soon)

Gameplay Videos: http://blog.openclonk.org/2010/11/openclonk-gameplay-video-frozen-fortress/

Changes to Clonk Rage: http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/New_features_since_Clonk_Rage

Have fun! Smiley
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:23:37 AM »

I love Clonks!
*Reads things and downloads*

Edit: Going to play it with my cousin now!

Edit 2: The only problem i'm having so far is that there are no purely survival scenarios like the original clonks. All these ones are either melee or parkour.
It would be great if you added some of the classic style ones into the next release! Hand Thumbs Up Left
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:55:53 PM by Nugsy » Logged

Dragon239
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »

It's under my impression (and, apologies, I am not on the dev team), that settlement packs are planned to be in release 2. This was 'more or less' the plan back in October...
http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=10246
Nice job so far, guys.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »

Ah! Thankyou!

Still an excellent game though. And it's great to see someone bringing it back to life.
Bravo!

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 02:48:47 AM »

Wow already at 1.0? You guys are moving crazy fast, last time I checked it was at 0.6 or so and that wasn't really long ago. Will definitely give it a try, I don't think I've ever had as much fun in a splitscreen multiplayer game.
PeterW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:33:13 AM »

Thanks for the positive feedback. Concerning missing settlement elements, well, see first post: This first release is all about getting the basics right. We already have a pretty solid idea of where we want to go with settlement gameplay - this will be addressed. But having an actual Clonk to move around in a meaningful way had to take priority, sorry Wink
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:21:23 AM »

Clonk - one of the best games ever.

Open Source - one of the best things ever.

Getting the basics right first sounds like a good plan. But I hope the long-term goal is to focus on settlements. I never found that battles or platforming suited the clonk engine. But the settling, mining and expanding is absolutely fantastic.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
L5jml
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »

Clonk was practically my childhood growing up

I learned the basics of construction and the importance of blowing up your fellow man with a t-flint from this game

However, whenever I try to play this, The round begins with me being eliminated before I can do anything or even see a clonk.
increpare
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

I had not played clonk before today.  It is a very interesting game!
PeterW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 04:22:16 AM »

However, whenever I try to play this, The round begins with me being eliminated before I can do anything or even see a clonk.

Comment from ck: "It can happen if the Clonk model fails to load, which I guess happens when there are less than 4 texture units available on the GPU. It should be possible to find out whether this is the problem or not by having a look into the log file."

So could you please look for some clues in the log file? It's named Clonk.log and should be under ~/.clonk/openclonk for Unix and under %APPDATA%\OpenClonk for Windows.
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »

Awesome :D I spend so many hours in this game.

(And thanks for mentioning the GP2X planet version in the FAQ Beer! I almost forgot that I made that)

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic