Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:27:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPike 'n Shot [an arcade Pike and Shoot'em up] (alpha v0.2)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Pike 'n Shot [an arcade Pike and Shoot'em up] (alpha v0.2)  (Read 55346 times)
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 05:15:29 AM »

"Show new replies to your posts." -> wow an update on "Pike & Shot"!!! Let's see... no update Cry
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 06:03:42 AM »

See James!? You're making people cry. C'mon man...

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »

Wuh! But I! And then!

*sigh*

Yes I am still working on this but to my ever lasting shame, I've made very meager progress. I work full time as a game developer at a crummy company I can't stand... and I'm lazy... and sometimes I meet pretty ladies and they lure me away from my computer with beer and good times. *sniff* </white person problems>

But I won't be deterred, NEVER! I'll continue working on Pike & Shot until it is completed or death's cold fingers drag me to my doom.

I actually have a current goal to get something together enough to submit it to IGF this year, so I have until October 17th and the motivation of this has worked enough for me to get horsies into the game so far this week and also to finally fix how targeteers interact with pikemen, hurray!

The current plan is to have some sort of playable level that I'm reasonably happy with basic mechanics wise by the end of this month, otherwise Jason Kozak is gonna have my legs broke. ;_;

Is with Fire & Sword good? Does it have pike and shotte mechanics in it that feel all cool and grittily no-nonsense and cruelly but marvelously realistic like what made me love the mechanics in the older Mountie blades? Oh cool, Gabriel Verdon, the darling of TIG source's devlog board wants to play my game! Yay!

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »

Well, in an effort to show people some content and keep this thing in motion, here are some dev videos.

I might do these every week, probably on Sunday night so that I actually have some stuff to show in them. See my schedule for now is that I typically only work on the game for 2 hours every weekday evening after dinner (except on Friday night if I go to a board game club meeting) and then on the weekend I work on it as much as I have time to on Saturday when I don't have errands to run or a party or something to go to that night. On Sunday, I typically work on it almost all day at a weekly game jam I have with a couple buddies of mine, jokingly titled "Jimmy-Jam" due to the fact that my name is James. So I'm thinking after the Sunday Jimmy-Jam is probably when I'll have the most to show.

But anyway here's two videos showing what I got done so far this week in my 2 hour sessions. My trial version of fraps seems to only allow for 30 second videos, so in future I might just make one or two 30 minute videos showing the visuals and then a longer webcam video of me explaining where the game stands right now and what those two videos are showing.

But for now:

and

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:44:17 PM by Geothermal » Logged

Chris Pavia
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »

Heh, in that first video it looks like the pikemen are tickling the other guys with their pikes  Shocked

Looks great though, especially when they change formation and the gunners come up front and BAM!
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16:32 PM »

Dear James, come use one of my microphones next time to make a video  Tongue.

All jokes aside, I'm super stoked to see some progress on this! PnS is going to be super fun!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »

Why do fraps videos take so long to upload on my DSL ;_;

I wanted to make this more of a post, but it took too long to upload videos. More will be up the rest of this week though.

Pike & Shot lives. Your chance to be the hero of the Benz Cantons will come soon.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:00:08 AM by Geothermal » Logged

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 12:58:06 AM »

Medieval and renaissance formation tactics is one of my favourite topics, so hat's off to you! The game idea looks pretty solid and I am *really* looking forward to trying this game!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »

Finally got the rest of the videos up

-

-

Unstoppable Doppel

These videos and the previous video show off:

• Units that are gradually destructable (Horse dies, shield breaks, ...)
  • Doppel soldiers that home in on guys and chop 'em up
  • Melee units now have a little charge animation and run faster if you make them charge the enemy
  • Further horsie developments
  • Pikemen now pick out targets to guard against when enemies draw near
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:39:03 AM by Geothermal » Logged

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »

Seems like you are at a place where you could use feedback on controls and.. you know... stuff! *Nudge nudge*

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »

I like this and I am not ashamed to say it.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 01:07:15 AM »

Why would you be ashamed? This stuff is great!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 01:29:05 AM »

Very awesome.

hi
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 02:18:30 AM »

Oh shit, Shield breaker video is fucking awesome. I want to help u with the game but I can't program nor do pixel art Sad

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 01:36:50 PM »

Why would you be ashamed? This stuff is great!

Because many people will be disappointed to see this in their unread due to me and not an update.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »

Hey guys, I'm still working away on this, I just haven't felt like I had anything presentable for a while. I'm trying to get something done that will actually be fun to play in a traditional sense by this coming Wednesday. I'll talk more about what's done and what's new when I post that update.

In the meantime what to I post that doesn't take too much time? Gabe, help!

The disembodied head of Gabriel Verdon: ~Juuuussst post some concepts or sooooomething. Woooooo, I'm a ghooooost or something.~

Alright, here's some eastern European looking shooters and infantry. There's also some archers in the bottom left there for my more Anglo Saxon looking faction. I felt a game with ARCHERS in is something the market is missing right now.

And then here we have this cool guy with a flail going on, some goblin brigands and dervishes, The Master of the Black Metal, some peasants, and sprites for an unfortunate war atrosity scene.

PIKE 'N' SHOT DOESN'T SUGAR COAT THE BARBARIC HORRORS OF LATE MEDIEVAL/EARLY MODERN WAR... MAN!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

ike & Shot needs a titlescreen for when you put in a quarter and interrupt the actractmode montage so I started doing up a title for it. Which do you all prefer?

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Fig. 1

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:25:26 PM by Geothermal » Logged

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »

I like the red; the gold doesn't look as ribbon-y.

Edit: I didn't even notice that one didn't have the rivets. Rivets are good.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:52:54 PM by Belimoth » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »

Agree on the red choice.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic