Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:38:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDie in Space, Repeatedly (working title)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Die in Space, Repeatedly (working title)  (Read 6729 times)
Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »

Die in Space, Repeatedly (title is likely to change, but it is quite descriptive) is a space exploration survival game.

Inspired by classics like Starflight, Star Control 2 and other games with star in the title, mixed with Oregon Trail and seasoned with a bit of Roguelike, in DISR will have a big, dangerous procedurally generated universe for you to explore and die in (repeatedly). Like Oregon Trail, the player's goal will be to cross a vast, untamed territory to reach a distant world. Along the way making friends and enemies, trading and battling with aliens and generally trying to survive (and probably failing).

This isn't Star Trek, more like Farscape or Battlestar Galactica, but without the Battlestar Galactica and the huge fleet. A lonely spaceship trying to make it's way in the universe alone, running short of fuel and food. The ship will be upgradable with new weapons and tech found/bought/stolen on the journey, but it should also need repair and maintenance to keep it going.

I'm building the game in Unity, learning as I go. Unity allows targeting several platforms, and eventually I'd like to see it on iPhones, and I have in fact got a very rough build running on my phone, but the controls are terrible. The desktop build is actually playable, though basically content-free, and the rough combat is actually kind of fun.

Very early screens:

At the moment there's very little to do at planets you visit. My intention is that a random event or thing will be called on each place you go, a bit like drawing a card in a board game.

The combat has Newtonian-ish phsics, so plays a bit like Asteroids, or Captain Forever, objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

Weapons impart kinetic energy on hit so ships get can pushed around and thrown into spins.

A bit of concept art:

I've been kind of working in spurts, I'm hoping that 'outing' my game to you all will push me to get more done on it.  Smiley

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:48:02 AM »

Dude. Keep the title
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »

Looks like it will be interesting arcade)
Like comics and background of prototype.

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »

Battlestar Galactica, but without the Battlestar Galactica
Makes perfect sense.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »

that is the greatest title screen (also: keep the title).
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:33:56 PM »

How could you not keep that title?

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:34:06 AM »

one more vote here for the title!

Renton
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 07:40:47 AM »

This title? Yes, please.
Vinnie
Level 0

funzo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 08:02:35 AM »

Keep the title, Repeatedly
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »

Big Laff

The title's good, NOW GIMME MORE GAME CONCEPTS!
Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »

Lots of love for the title! I don't want to set anything in stone, but your voices are heard.

I was originally trying to think of something more conventional, I guess. Star-somthing, distant-something, space-something-something, but they all sounded lame, or the good ones were taken. Die in Space Repeatedly is a pretty accurate summation of the game, and it also expresses the tone I'm going for perfectly. Sort of a mix of wonder, desperation and humour.

Dying can be fun. When you hear people talking about Roguelikes or Dwarf Fortress it's the losses they go on about, at great length. That's something I want to have in DISR. Memorable deaths, something that puts a smile on your face even as you're swearing at yet another game over.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »

I'd love for there to be collectible art cards that show various concepts, like you have shown. They are quite lovable.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »

I haven't played many games with Star in the title, but is this a sort of long-form version of Strange Adventures In Infinite Space? I quite liked that game.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »

I don't say this often, but...

Those ship battles look sexy as hell.

I'd love for there to be collectible art cards that show various concepts, like you have shown. They are quite lovable.

Also this.

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »

So today I put in a rudimentary save system. The universe and your position in it persist across sessions, AND now after you go into a battle, you come back to find the stars in the same place you left them.

I was hung up on the bloody saving for far too long. I spent hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with the save system, but it turned out it was working just fine, I had just told it to save the wrong data Facepalm Not a lot of progress, but that's a checkmark on the list.
 Beer!

Quote from: LemonScented
I haven't played many games with Star in the title, but is this a sort of long-form version of Strange Adventures In Infinite Space? I quite liked that game.

You could say that, yeah. I'm going in a bit of a different direction but those games were definitely a big influence.

The cards: Those cards, or something like them will be in the game. Definitely.

The look: The battles will be more colourful, but the basic look probably won't change much.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »

I registered to this board for the sole purpose of voting to keep the title.
Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »

Aww, thanks! Take a card.

PS I know about the spelling error totally intentional non-standard spelling that is not in any way a mistake. At all.

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:53:32 PM »

This seems awesome, I love the card things. Your drawing style is unique. Also you should keep the title.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »

So they steal devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations from their victims?
Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »

So they steal devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations from their victims?
Grin
They're locked in a struggle against literary laziness that they know they can't win, yet they fight on.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic