Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:40:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStrong Non-Sexualized Female Leads
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Strong Non-Sexualized Female Leads  (Read 81321 times)
Corpus
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 04:40:13 AM »

DRAMASOURCE
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 05:13:15 AM »

:D

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 06:31:25 AM »

I think the problem with a lot of female characters in games isn't sexualization per-se but rather a pervasive cartoonish oversexualization. Any time you create a character to be a sex-object you're going to get something pretty wooden(no pun intended), and even worse, not very sexy. Of course, for the same reason I take issue to the phrase 'good role model', because the second you start trying to turn your character into a public service announcement you've made them less relatable and less human.

Personally, while I wouldn't go so far as to say the main character SHOULD be sexy, I will say that if they are sexual entities (and most characters above a certain age should be, to some extent) then it's a little ludicrous to deny that. That said, I certainly prefer real-world sexiness, that emerges from the character and their aesthetic, than cartoonish Jessica Rabbit Lara Croft torpedo-boobies (though I must grudgingly admit those are sometimes not without their charm).

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 02:56:46 AM »

...I find it funny how no-one complains about the lack of non-sexualised MALE leads. I mean, come on, many male leads in games are either posh effeminate pretty boys or muscular ripped hulks. There aren't that many (non-cartoon, non-animal (blegh)) male characters that aren't somewhat sexualised.

I was somewhat intrigued by the decidedly ugly characters Kane and Lynch but I haven't played that game.

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 03:35:23 AM »

...I find it funny how no-one complains about the lack of non-sexualised MALE leads.

Hey, I said I wanted to see more variations among both genders.

I do agree with what you're saying (though there are some notable exceptions), but I don't think we can single out games for having an obsession with charismatic characters.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 04:10:48 AM »

Quote from: Otaku42
First thing I think of is Beyond Good and Evil. Perhaps not the most indie of games, but it did have a very strong female lead, yes?
I dunno, Jade from BGaE is pretty sexy, I would say. And yeah, the game's pretty awesome.

What about Terra from FFVI?

I know she's not really a lead, as it's a game with so many protagonists, but she's a pretty major and strong character, and we don't get to see her boobies.*

* Due to the system limitations most likely, but anyway.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:52:18 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 06:13:16 AM »

Does Curly count?  She isn't quite the protagonist, but she's definitely a major character.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 06:47:11 AM »

First thing I think of is Beyond Good and Evil. Perhaps not the most indie of games, but it did have a very strong female lead, yes?
I dunno, Jade from BGaE is pretty sexy, I would say. And yeah, the game's pretty awesome.

Jade is pretty good looking, but she's tasteful. She doesn't have breast physics or completely inpractical outfits, she's inteligent and can take care of herself in a tight situation.

And for that I think she's a strong female lead without having to resort to sex appeal. It's still there, though, because I know most women will want their female avatar to be attractive, but tastefully so.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »

My game characters don't wear pants, so it's sort of hard to make non-sexualized female leads.

ChevyRay
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 11:25:10 AM »

What about Terra from FFVI?

Darn, that was mine; luckily I read through the topic first. Terra was pretty awesome, but as the game progressed it became less centralized around her and every playable character sort of became the lead protagonist. Celes was a good character as well. It wasn't very indie, though Tongue as great of a game as it was.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

She's not a playable character, but the girl from Photopia?

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »

She's not a playable character, but the girl from Photopia?

Oo, yes.  Smiley 

Absolutely worth a play by anyone who missed it when it was new.
http://adamcadre.ac/if.html
Pencil_In_Pain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 02:23:33 AM »

What about granny, from "The Graveyard"?

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »

I think the problem with a lot of female characters in games isn't sexualization per-se but rather a pervasive cartoonish oversexualization. Any time you create a character to be a sex-object you're going to get something pretty wooden(no pun intended), and even worse, not very sexy. Of course, for the same reason I take issue to the phrase 'good role model', because the second you start trying to turn your character into a public service announcement you've made them less relatable and less human.

Perhaps the word we're looking for is objectification.  And rather than 'role model' it might be better to ask for 'a female character with her own motivations'.  Obviously, these aren't mutually exclusive.  Sometimes it seems like the writers come up with a great idea for a character and the concept artists stick her in lingerie.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 02:37:16 AM »

awsome non sexualised female charecter, or most awsome non sexualised female charecter?
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 03:46:09 AM »

*Runs away...*

Tom Grochowiak
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 03:53:57 AM »

awsome non sexualised female charecter, or most awsome non sexualised female charecter?
If we can nominate non-leads then I'd like to mention Agrias Oaks, possibly my all time favorite female game character. I know this is kinda OT but... Agrias!

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 03:59:18 AM »

How about

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 04:01:43 AM »

How about

I see two HUGE contradictions!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:08:45 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 04:07:07 AM »

I liked that it took until the third game for the writers to acknowledge that the character designers had given Mia ridiculously large contradictions. :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic