Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:51:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHaxball Beta ( Multiplayer Ball Game )
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Haxball Beta ( Multiplayer Ball Game )  (Read 26692 times)
basara
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:37:41 AM »

What is it?
Haxball is a realtime multiplayer ball game, A mix between football and air-hockey best played in 2v2 or 3v3 matches. It uses the new peer to peer capabilities of the flash player to create direct connections between the players. I think that it's probably one of the first games to make proper use of this feature.

Screenshots
2v2match
Prematch menu

Gameplay Video

How to play
1 - Go to http://www.haxball.com ( flash player 10 or newer required )
2 - Login with any nickname you want.
3 - Join a room near your location or make a new room.
4 - Once you are in the prematch lobby configure the teams and press the start button when everyone is ready.

Controls:
Move with the keyboard arrows.
Kick the ball with X.
Press tab to chat.

Tips and Troubleshooting:
- There is a ping display at the bottom right. "Ping: avg / max", the lower this two values are the better. If max is too different of avg then you are victim of lag spikes ( see next point ). This is not shown for the room host, since his ping is always 0.

- The netplay is quite sensitive to unstable connections, high packetloss will result in things teleporting ( prediction failure ). So I recommend closing applications like BitTorrent clients and such.

- Flash uses nat hole punching in order to establish the p2p connections, this however can fail once in a while depending on the network topology, router quality and firewall configurations. When this happens the connection will time out while trying to join a room.

- Because the game requires deterministic FPU operations, if you run this game on an old cpu that doesnt have SSE2 capabilities you will desynchronize, the game will tell you and other players about it, Desynchronized players are marked with a red nickname.

Please read: A personal appeal from Haxball Developer Basro:
I've been working on this for a few months and it has just reached a presentable and playable form. I'm now quite desperate for feedback and players Smiley. The game is still pretty much a work in progress so give me feedback about anything you like or don't like, I promise it will make a difference.

Edit: You can chat with me (and maybe other haxball players if people join) on the IRC channel #haxball @ irc.freenode.net

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:53:27 PM by basara » Logged
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »

This game is wonderful! It's very fun! Imho you can improve it in two aspects. The first one is that it's a bit difficult to determine your player immediately, you'd better highlight it. The second one isn't so important, but it could add depth: after the scores you could launch a replay, so people can view actions and live again emotions. Congratulations, it's very good!

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:44:08 AM »

Hey Basara, you might remember me for making a walljumping Gusanos mod named Jumpy Smiley

Only had time to watch the gameplay video for now, but I'll try the game itself later if I have some more time, looks very polished.

Ricoello
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »

It's pretty good. I played for a while (I was guest) with utorrent on, was spiking all the time. Suits me for not reading the whole post before playing. When I turned it off it was pretty fun.

I guess nice additions to it would be adding who scored the goal and who passed it, or if it was an own goal. And maybe showing those stats at the end of the game.

Like I told you, it kinda reminds me of Uniball, except in Uniball you get to keep the ball inside you, and can aim with the mouse where you wanna shoot it.

But anyway, I liked it. I'll be playing it later again :D
basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »

Imho you can improve it in two aspects. The first one is that it's a bit difficult to determine your player immediately, you'd better highlight it. The second one isn't so important, but it could add depth: after the scores you could launch a replay, so people can view actions and live again emotions.

I definitely agree about highlighting the local player, it will be implemented soon. About the replay, I also think this would be nice, but it is also quite complex to make. I'll probably give it some thought in the future, but it wont be done soon.

Hey Basara, you might remember me for making a walljumping Gusanos mod named Jumpy Smiley
Only had time to watch the gameplay video for now, but I'll try the game itself later if I have some more time, looks very polished.

I do! It feels nice to have someone know who I am too. Wink Hope you'll like it when you try it. Rumors say that Gliptic and I may be making a multiplayer liero clone using this in the future.

I guess nice additions to it would be adding who scored the goal and who passed it, or if it was an own goal. And maybe showing those stats at the end of the game.

I definitely want to implement this, it will be done somewhen in the future. It will probably display the last two people to touch the ball before the goal was scored.

I'm glad that those of you who tried it have liked it, and wait for further feedback and players! :D
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »

I can only say this game rocks Smiley So much fun with few circle players and a ball, it's very addictive, even if I'm deadly tired I coudln't go away from it.

Suggestions I had in mind were already given here so I can only wait to see more Smiley

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »

I thought I'd give this a try. An hour later and I've finally pried myself away. This is great and quite addictive. It can get really tactical if everyone doesn't just crowd the ball. It did take my a few moments to realise x was kick so I'd definitely put the controls below the game window. I found playing 3v3 was optimum, one attacking, one defending, and the other switching between the two as needed. I'll be keeping an eye on this.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »

hahahaa what a riot. The game is great so far!

I think stats should be added for sure, and maybe some other elements to spice up the game-play.

Love it man, keep it up.

leek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 04:11:43 AM »

I do! It feels nice to have someone know who I am too. Wink Hope you'll like it when you try it. Rumors say that Gliptic and I may be making a multiplayer liero clone using this in the future.

Hey Basara, you might remember me from somewhere as well!:P

Despite all the gameplay and fun this game provides, I find it too hard on the eyes, I don't think dull colors mix well with black/white flickering of the dudes. Slanted pitch stripes make me somewhat dizzy, too. Cmon man, after months and months of constant unspoiled feedback it's time to give back!:P GIMME MOAR FRIENDLY COLOR SCHEME.

Seriously, don't you all find the color scheme a little off?
basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 05:38:33 AM »

Oh man, I just woke up and there were 5 rooms from all over the world. :D

Despite all the gameplay and fun this game provides, I find it too hard on the eyes, I don't think dull colors mix well with black/white flickering of the dudes. Slanted pitch stripes make me somewhat dizzy, too. Cmon man, after months and months of constant unspoiled feedback it's time to give back!:P GIMME MOAR FRIENDLY COLOR SCHEME.

Seriously, don't you all find the color scheme a little off?

This is something I'd like more feedback about, does anybody else feel their eyes are being punished by the game?
Ricoello
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »

Yeah, also.. It would be nice to set maximum number of players and the rest would watch. And only the game maker would be able to stop the game. It's so annoying when there's always someone joining and someone stops the match.

EDIT: Oh, but I suppose there's the lock feature? :x
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:39:51 AM by Ricoello » Logged
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:40:16 AM »

Definitely agree that the host should be the only one who can stop a match.

basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »

Right now there's an admin system in place, only admins can stop games and move players around. However, I made it so that everyone who joins has admin rights Tongue.
I did this because it would have been easier for me to showcase the game to newcomers, I'll make it so that only the host is an admin today (hopefully).

I'm also working on a player limit feature right now, the game isnt planned for 15 people in the same room Wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:59:38 AM by basara » Logged
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »

I'm all for a player limit option, but please don't force it - sure, larger games will turn into brawls, but that's the point! Smiley Big games are better for new players to jump in and learn the controls with, and they'll also make for a fun break from the 2v2 and 3v3 matches which I expect will become the norm.

EDIT: Whoa, someone here actually plays/played Uniball. About time. Smiley
Ricoello
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 12:24:10 PM »

I actually recognized the name when you joined my game, lol.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »

Colors didn't cause pain to my eyes or something. I think colors are nicely calm...but of course, that's just me

EDIT: I must say that it goes very well to your game. Many rooms opened and 2-7 player playing in each. Nice going Wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:31:27 PM by Blodyavenger » Logged

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »

The game is fun, but i have only managed to play once as i can't really connect to many servers. Sad

Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »

Great. Very simply and nice. BUT phRANK KEPT FOLLOWING ME AND STOPPING THE GAME AND BLAMING IT ON ME. GET RID of that feature. PLEASE! Angry he kept following me into games stopping it. AND BLAMING IT ON ME. I
Bini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 03:24:11 PM »

This game rocks!

Is there a possibility of a "reconnection" feature? Like when you return to a game you left, you get control of the empty circle you left behind.
bɑːldɛn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »

Awesome game, really addictive. Definitely agree about game stopping. Also, perhaps have auto team organization? Waiting for players to pick a team is slightly annoying.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic