Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:17:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid Work[Wanted] Pixel Artist / Designer for commercial platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Wanted] Pixel Artist / Designer for commercial platformer  (Read 2999 times)
Pixelthief
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »

I am searching for a collaborator for starting immediate design and  production on a commercial platformer project. This would be a 2-person project building with the already completed Asunder engine you can demo here:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16498.0

As the engine has already been developed, this position would commence as soon as possible and entail drawing pixel art, tilesets, and animations- yet also take a share in the design process of setting, plot, characters, scope and publicity, marketing, etc.

If you are a talented pixel artist with experience in game design, and have the time available over the next 6 to 12 months to develop a project that will be largely free of the programming side of development, please let me know your interest!

Required:
  • Talented Pixel Artist
  • Time and Effort Available

Wanted:
  • Passionate about indie development
  • Innovative, out-of-the-box thinker
  • Familiar with iterative design
  • Work well to a schedule
  • Experience in game design
  • Easy to work with and good humored
  • General knowledge of 'Metroidvania' genre platformers
  • Any basic knowledge of Multimedia Fusion 2, any Klik products, Lua, C++, HLSL
  • Local in the USA/Midwest/MN area (Not a requirement, but would make production easier)

I want to stress that this position is not simply churning out art, but developing a game from the ground up all the way to completion. This is not a salaried offer- it is by negotiable profit share (ie, "halfsies"). Please understand the full gravity of that if you are interested in this gig. As such, I'm more searching for someone who would have the time over the next year on the side of their job or education- not as a replacement for it.  I'm very open to what we would create and how it would be marketed, released and priced, and I believe its still too early a stage of development to explore pricing models besides "We are aiming for a commercial PC game".

To better understand this offer- I've already developed the full game engine and editor for this project. This is a little peculiar compared to the normal development cycle of concurrent design, art, and programming threads, as I am already sitting on it and just waiting to head into full blown production. But I cannot draw, not to save my life. Stick figures at best. So I am searching for any enterprising individual who would have the time and effort to collaborate on creating perhaps the next big indie title of 2011 or 2012. This means a very rapid development cycle as we can move immediately from design to production, as the tools and engine are fully in place.

About the Engine- The engine, currently under the project name "Asunder", is created in a mix of Multimedia Fusion 2, Lua, C++ and HLSL, perhaps an odd choice but not at all limiting. It has a vast array of features and a basic structure of a time-and-space-bending platformer. I am very open to ideas on what to build, but at this point it will almost assuredly give the player the ability to rewind time, send enemies backwards through time, and move around space in a polar instead of euclidian fashion. The rattle of some features, it has:
  • *Time Rewinding
  • *360 Degree Platform Movement
  • *Independent Time-scalars for each object (ex. 1x, 0.2x, -1x, 400x)
  • *Custom Script Parsing (Forwards and backwards)
  • *Ground, air, water, grapple movement
  • *Sfx/Music handling, reversing, frequency modifying
  • *Custom movements, enemy AI, surface tracing
  • *Much, much, much more!

About Me:
Hi! I'm Mike. I live around St. Paul Minnesota.
I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science with an emphasis in Software Engineering, and have studied and have a background in both Game Design and Project Management. I've been programming since I was about 2 feet shorter than I am today at any rate (~decade). I'm fairly easy going and open, jolly and irreverent in the good way, and am very familiar with development cycles and indie gaming. My main goal is to created a finished amazing indie game with unique game mechanics and depth. I can be a great code monkey, but I cannot draw my way out of a hole (that would take an eraser, no?). I'm somewhat great shakes with HLSL so I can provide pixel shader effects to animate professional quality graphics, and always work to do tedious animation and such. I will work to not just do programming, but to cover all design elements such as plot, setting, characters- and also lay out a schedule, project plan, critical path, milestones, etc to ensure a finished and timely end product.

Please post some show of your work here, PM me, or post on TDC if you are interested! It especially helps if I already know you from the community or if you live in the Midwest as such projects involve a high degree of communication. Even if not, I am always quite open!
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »

I'm very serious about this, and if you find my artwork satisfactory, I would be very dedicated to the project. I wouldn't want to put my name on something I'm not proud of.

I'll try to scrounge up some old artwork, but I swear to you that if you give me a topic, I will do my best to impress you. :D

Neil_vfx
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:45:25 AM »

Hello, Mike.

If you are still looking for an artist, I would be interested in helping the project. I saw this on the Daily Click. I am an advanced MMF2 developer and Photoshop artist, with ~10 years doing graphic design including pixel art, photography, interfaces, and everything in between. I am actually about to release a beta version of a commercial MMF map designing program, if you'd be interested in being a beta tester.

I am very familiar with the type of game you are working on, I have very flexible hours, I am am advanced MMF developer and pixel/graphic artist, I went to college for computer programming, and I live in Iowa. I have many years experience making tilesets, sprites, interfaces, etc. and I also do web design and video design.

If you're interested, please contact me through e-mail. My email address is:

neil(DOT)vfx(AT)gmail(DOT)com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic