Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:36:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationZICZAC
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: ZICZAC  (Read 43116 times)
or
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »

-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 06:55:50 PM by orl » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »

the topic of this compo just fits my
interest at the moment... (was very surprised this morning)
it's great, because it encourages everybody to really try
out new ways... maybe it would have been even more
challenging with more restrictive rules.
such as:
"no precalculated data assets allowed",
That'd rule me out :/

And: Good luck! And: great title!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »

Quite Delicious. And, dare I say, Original!

Love the contrasting colours and square styling. Looks very swish. Sounds great too! The loop-making sound is very nice indeed.

Though, I'll admit, the instructions aren't too clear on the goal. Could you maybe include a diagram or two to show what the aim is?

From what I've inferred, you have to make a full loop of (the same coloured?) squares, and it's better if there's some space between the edges of the loop. But, I still don't know if I should be aiming for certain coloured loops, or why I get 4x4 loops semi-randomly. This, like many games in the compo, confuses me. Maybe I should see a doctor or something.

Also, the music is procedurally generated too? That's brilliant!
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 05:27:33 AM »

Fantastic style you got there  Shocked
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »

Ah! The context, it helps. Some animations would go down very well indeed.

Also, after further playthoughs, I'd like to say that the audio is genius. Your so called "cheesy" music is perfect for the game- neither repeating itself or sounding too random, whilst fitting in with the overall rhythm of the game. Also, the sound effects are wonderfully fuzzy and very rewarding.

Not a musical person or anything, but, I know when something sounds good. Feels right, you know? Really adds to the game.

And a complete last minute surprise, too! Delighted.
ichi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:30:25 AM »

This is hard, but really cool! I also dig the style.
I could see this concept working well as a Tetsuya Mizuguchi-like game - lots of skins and variations on the theme.
I can easily imagine all sorts of crazy patterns for the snake-like blocks. or maybe it's just because i've been playing so much Lumines lately..
grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »

Love the style. Looks very professional. The music is also very smooth.
The gameplay feels very original and almost... well, new!

The only negative thing would be that my head starts shaking cause of the "move and stop, move and stop" movement of the green and orange lines.

Anywho. Nice and original game you got there. ^^
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:25:26 AM »

Hey, you should mention it has an online high score table. That's the smoothest integration of one I've ever seen. Normally they just crash. Good job.

NENAD, I WILL TRIUMPH! Although, first I've got to get back in the top 10...
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 01:01:35 AM »

Very fun! It was a bit nonintuitive at first that the wall cannot count as part of the loop, but once I got over that mental hurdle I loved it. I personally think that the combo scaling for larger loops and enclosed blocks is pretty low, to the point where someone who can survive longer by making 2x2 blocks with reaction times in the late-game will get a larger score than someone who can puzzle out huge loops in the early game but dies when it gets fast, but that doesn't matter much. Great job! Grin

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:50:19 AM »

Hmm, one high score per person... Yes, we think that's a good idea. As nice as fanning one's ego with 8 entries in the top 10 may be, it's much nicer to see the top players rather than the top scores. Also, it could mean I have a chance to get in  Tongue.

Cool to hear that it will be even more polished, too!

As a suggestion, would it be possible to increase the time for when each block appears? By this I mean, when one lands a block and the first square of the new block pops up, the game would give the player slightly more response time to shift focus. Not sure if it's easily do-able, but, thought I'd put it out there.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 08:14:15 AM »

Do'nt worry too much about the deadline, Derek is far from strict about it. We ain't giving money-awards for this.

Also, downloading the final version now.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »

Wow! Awesome!

I guess that game should win the price for "most polished" and "most stylish".

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
mechturk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

This game is addictive. Grin

The scoring works great now.  The whole thing is just so balanced and polished. 

I like how there's a need to plan ahead, but that you need to change your plans on the fly depending on the size of the pieces and/or any misplacements that occur.

Err... Wow, just wow.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »

Not big into puzzlers, but this is actually really neat. Love the polished aesthetic and the gameplay is fairly unique. Though the sounds come a bit screwy for me, but that might be because of performance issues.

Not very good in it. Tongue Good job.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »

Great gameplay! It bothers me a little that the window is so "tall" and you can't move it; other than that, this is a very fun and polished game. Grin
l0ser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »

Nice job. My first thought was that you had made the same game as these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/v/hy0ptZisr70&hl=en
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 05:20:16 PM »

you can't move it

That bothered me at first, but then I discovered that if you drag from about where the title bar would be if it had one, then the window does actually move. ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 12:45:16 AM »

Wow man, pretty damn cool I must say. I hope you continue with this and keep adding to the feel of the game. I really like the concept though and I think there's so much more that can be done with it, awesome!

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 01:02:53 AM »

1672 after a few tries -- I like it!
This game brings me joy.. who are you?  Cool
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:14:39 AM by MekanikDestructiwKommando » Logged

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 02:28:05 AM »

Oooh, nicely done 0rel! Smooth as silk, now.

it's rather bare bone in its current state imo. i had to held it simple, so, it wasn't that difficult to make it feel polished... Wink

at least i could finish it in time, all my other attemps failed so far... doing collision detection in 3d from scratch, modeling and texturing as a single person isn't a good i idea at the beginning. i'm glad this project could be completed, really. it still needed a lot of time for coding, testing and tuning.

I wouldn't say it's bare bones so much as simple and minimal, but there is beauty in simplicity. No need for complexity for complexity's sake, ey?

So! Will you continue working on this further, now that the compo's over? Add some of those extras you wanted? And, whilst I'm asking questions, what else have you made?

Also, HOW GET THAT HIGH SCORE?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic