Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:03:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWelkinhold
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Welkinhold  (Read 25571 times)
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »

Welkinhold
(formerly Project SkyFortress)

Welkinhold is a 2D combat game which lets you build your own airship and fight in multi-ship battles in the skies. It's currently being developed by myself and Gabriel Verdon (http://www.gabrielverdon.com).

The idea for the game came up during the summer and we've been working on and off since then. The original game was done in XNA and we actually managed to show a playable split-screen demo at the Prince of Arcade in Montreal back in November.

After coming back from Montreal I decided to switch the game over to C++ and OpenGL by creating a library that mimics XNAs SpriteBatch system, allowing me to port the code pretty easily. It's entirely back up to the point it was at in the XNA version at this point.

Latest Download
http://www.owendeery.com/Welkinhold.rar

Trailer created for Prince of Arcade

Latest

Concepts

Screenshots

New Ship styles(1/8/2011)

Currently working on: Gameplay
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:45:29 PM by owendeery » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »

Very cool.  Reminds me of Steamboy or Castle In the Sky.

I look forward to trying it out.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »

Ooo, very nice. I prefer the minimal concepts to the more detailed stuff you got going on, but great either way.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »

Ooo, very nice. I prefer the minimal concepts to the more detailed stuff you got going on, but great either way.

Yeah, I liked the flat colors better too.

Still, a wonderful style and concept! Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »

Looks awesome :D was the visual style inspired by "

" by chance? :D not a bad thing, I freaking love that games style! (warning, if you check out that link, you'll be humming the song for days!)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »

" by chance? :D not a bad thing, I freaking love that games style! (warning, if you check out that link, you'll be humming the song for days!)

Someone else knows about that game! Amazing. I think I posted a thread about it, a long time ago...

I also thought the exact same thing!
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:47 PM »

Haha that game is the soul reason I wish I had bothered to learn Photoshop back in College, I'd love to make a platform game with the same patch work/craft paper visual effect.

But back on topic...erm...actually I have nothing to add since 20 minutes ago...game still looks awesome! :D
iffi
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »

I really like the look of the ships in the concepts! Something about that style just makes it ridiculously awesome.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »

I must also express support of the simpler graphics. Just so silky smooth. The Game itself looks rad, though.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:20 PM »

Hand Shake Left EpilepticHand Shake Right

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I agree the initial concepts look really cool, but I struggled to figure out a way to have a system that allows a user to build those types of ships or even have a damage system.

That game looks crazy, not sure if it inspired the initial design, I'll have to ask.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »

oh my god, this is amazing Shocked
can't wait to see more Smiley

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 02:27:53 AM »

Fantastic idea! Somehow reminds me of "Howl's Moving Castle". And the airships concepts are great the amount of custom ship parts shown in video is impressive. Smiley

The only thing that concerned me when watching video is that fired projectiles seem to follow exactly the same trajectory. I guess it could be nice if the guns had a slight amount of dispersion influencing their accuracy.

Apart from that, it's all great! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:57 AM »

"This video contains content from playcast, who has blocked it from your country on copyright grounds."
._.
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »

"This video contains content from playcast, who has blocked it from your country on copyright grounds."
._.

Search around the interwebs for "100 Manton No Barabara" and you should find a video or some screen shots or something :-)
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »

._.

Perhaps this video will work:

I talked with the designer working on this project (who will probably pop up in this thread sooner or later) and he informed me that the design was influenced by this game which in NA is titled "Patchwork Heroes".

cosec
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »

Wow thanks for the kind words and enthusiasm everybody! Very motivating for me to hear that you all like what we have so far~ Durr...? (i'm the artist guy by the way)

Looks awesome :D was the visual style inspired by "100 Manton No Barabara" by chance? :D not a bad thing, I freaking love that games style! (warning, if you check out that link, you'll be humming the song for days!)

Indeed! I've never actually played the game but the art style is just so striking that I wanted to do something similar. And like some other have said, Steamboy and the Miyazaki movies are also huge influences for me. Some of the other design influences are: Captain Forever, Pixeljunk Shooter, Skygunner, Hammerfight, and StormWinds (and old flash game you can find on Newgrounds). Oh and Super Meat Boy of course.

Here is an old piece of test concept art I did:

Not really sure what it would be for, but I just have this thing where I like to flesh out the world a bit even if it doesn't have an impact on gameplay. I will probably be doing more of these soon but in a style a little bit closer to the game. Let me know what you think!

Oh, and I would also like to mention that our design for this project is very open-ended. We started it back in the summer and it was supposed to be just a short 3-month project, but because of the complex design, school commitments, me flaking out to pursue other things for a while, it's taken much longer. I am just now starting to work on it again. So I would love to hear ideas from you guys - we're not exactly sure what we want to do with it, so if you want to see something in the game, then definitely speak up! I think it would be really cool to make this a community oriented project that evolves over time into something awesome and fun. For now we will probably just focus on getting the foundation in place, but once that's done, then we can release a build for people to play so we can start the ball rolling with integrating feedback and suggestions.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:52:18 AM by cosec » Logged
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »

This looks pretty awesome.
Valyou
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 11:16:52 AM »

Looks awesome. I can't wait to try :D
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile