Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:38:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStrider of Feral Lands
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Strider of Feral Lands  (Read 8658 times)
Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »

Strider
of
Feral Lands

Strider is inspired by

, the 1991 classic.
It's a mix of turn-based movement and real-time fights. The players wander around on a map, visiting lairs, towns and other locations. It's basically about fighting creatures and your opponents, with RPG elements like experience, skills and equipment.
We (my brother and me) use Adventure Game Studio.
For now it's Windows only, but AGS is open source now and there is hope for Linux and Mac ports coming soon.

Screenshots are all WIP.

What we try to achieve:

• A fight system that makes more sense than in Moonstone
    Fights should be more than dodging and smashing keys. The duel knight vs knight is quite nice already (see video).

• A customizable, optionally self-adjusting difficulty level   
    one that actually let's the AI fight better, not just gives you a handicap on character values

• Challenging AI opponents
    The AI is supposed to make clever use of items, choose aims on the map wisely, spend it's gold for reasonable stuff and fight as good as a human player.

• Frightening Creatures that are fun to fight.
    We are working on Spiders, Trolls, Wolves and Harpies so far. The goal is that you can not let them walk into your strike or find other boring ways to beat them.

• A hotseat function for up to 4 players (works already)!

• A single-player story mode
    We finally came up with a raw storyline. Your first aim will be to gather people you meet for an uprising against the ruler of the main city by talking to them in an adventure-like dialogue system and accomplishing tasks to gain their support.

Critique and suggestions very welcome!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:07:53 AM by Niclas » Logged

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 12:11:08 PM »

Congratulations, it's wonderful! The fight system is a curious use of AGS, I want to play with it. Smiley I'm dubious about the blood, the red color is too light... However, wonderful graphics so far!

Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:38:13 AM »

Thank you, sir! Gentleman

The color of the blood is so light because of a problem we still have with AGS. The "room" has shadow areas, darkening the characters (everywhere in the example above). But the blood is directly painted on the background, so it keeps it's original brightness. We're working on it.

Here is my character study for the harpies (inspired by Ronia the Robber's Daughter):

Mhaine
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »

The duel WIP videos are quite impressive; the AI looks like it can already handle itself pretty well. Moonstone was one of the first video games I have played; it is a good source of inspiration. The game seems to have great potential. Good luck with this!
Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »

Added two screenshots.
One shows the first of three different thieve-characters where're working on. The guy has got a shield wich you can demolish with several strong hits.

We finally came up with a raw storyline. Your first aim will be to gather people you meet (as the herb woman above) for an uprising against the ruler of the main city by talking to them in an adventure-like dialogue system and accomplishing tasks to gain their support. The harpies will also be important in the story.

Furthermore we decided not to have a one-screen-map like in Moonstone and quadrupled the size. Now you only see one quarter and it scrolls while you move.

Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:25 AM »

I'm working on the gang of rogues. We decided to have the guy with a shield – as mentioned above –, a guy with a large axe and a bowman. It won't be easy to tune the different AIs for coordinated attacks, but it could become a very dynamic fight.

Here is some WIP:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:53:50 AM by Niclas » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »

I missed this in March, but so looking forward to it now. Kiss
The harpy study seems a little lower quality than the rest of the art, very stiff pose, but the game as a whole looks great.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:19:37 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

After a long brainstorming last week my brother started to hack and the AI of the rogues is coming to life now. I hope we can post a video end of the week.

Here is the dummy for the bowman:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:34:23 AM by Niclas » Logged

Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »

Sommer finally started in Berlin Beer!, sorry for the delay.  Shrug

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »

Holy crap, a Moonstone-a-like.  Shocked

Tell be there will be dragons? And big blue trolls who club you into red jelly?

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 02:45:02 AM »

Having owned an Amiga back in the day, I was a pretty big Moonstone fan, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one. It shows a lot of promise so far.

Uykered
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »

Combat looks awesome, reminds me a bit of mount and blade.
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 09:02:20 AM »

Combat looks to simultaneously have some weight yet reward good timing and thought, rather than ATTACKATTACKATTACK button mashing.  Definitely got my attention.

Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 01:17:31 PM »

Hey, nice comments! Thanks a lot!

@Jasper Byrne:
As we don't want to make a clone we have to come up with our own enemies. Brainstorming on a mighty wyrm right now!

Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:26 AM »

Trying to give the beast some character.

Combat looks awesome, reminds me a bit of mount and blade.

That is good to hear! The other day I was sitting in front of a mount and blade video thinking: What kind of boring 2D crap do we make compared to that.

Mud Tea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 04:30:40 AM »

Hey there, I'm the programmer on this.

The Wyrm fight is coming along nicely. I'm glad we almost completely planned it out before I started coding so I could make the movement in one go. The Wyrm already attacks and moves fluently and I'm confident that the fight will be playable soon. Right now I'm working on the collision detection and blocking areas. A hard part to code might be the point that we want to let him move into and across the background while considering correct perspective/scaling and without him going through objects like trees.

We still have to decide on the skin color and texture though..

BobSawyer
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 03:35:59 AM »

Hi there

I just joined this forum solely to post on this thread.

Just want you to know that I am totally blown away by what I've seen of this project. I love the simple, clean graphic style, what I can see of the dynamic combat, your imagination and creativity in general... I could go on and on....

I was a big fan of Moonstone back in the day (for all its little annoyances) and really look forward to playing this.

Please keep up the good work!

Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »

Introducing my brother, Mud Tea, who finally managed to join the forum.  Coffee

I just joined this forum solely to post on this thread.
Shocked Wow. This is some nice kick in the ass to get this finished. Smiley

I'm revisiting the main character's sprite at the moment. The plan was to give it a proper head - the old one was just copied and pasted from the very first sketch - but I will change some more details and try to get a finished version. Just around one hundred frames to change. Lips Sealed

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic