Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:07:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioProcedurally generated music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Procedurally generated music  (Read 2994 times)
increpare
« on: May 06, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

Okay, so I've actually read up quite a bit on procedurally generated music, but does anyone know of any programming framework which would let me integrate such generations into a game real-time?  (that is, a program that would, say, play midi info that you gave it on the fly (or better: something sample-based).

I doubt I'll have time to integrate anything musical at all into my project, but I'd like to know, that I might do something with it after.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:46:11 AM »

How complex do you want it to get?  If you just want to do a sound-collage sort of thing with samples, you can probably pull that together out of almost any programming language's sound library.

I think it's also possible to link up PureData (a very audio-focused visual coding environment) with code from other programs, but I haven't tried it myself.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
increpare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »

How complex do you want it to get?  If you just want to do a sound-collage sort of thing with samples, you can probably pull that together out of almost any programming language's sound library.
Hmm, maybe actually, might take some work though, interacting with the timer &c.  Will seeeeee.  Probably best not thinking about the details right now.
Morusque
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »

Yep, you can send OSC messages to puredata, it works quite well.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic