Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:40:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7279957 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22840 on: May 23, 2013, 01:38:43 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like the colours and yeah i may need to clean up the underside of the balloon a little more, its one of those stupid "the line kinda doesn't fit properly" situations.

@carrion: I found that piece rather uncompelling as well, and didn't get the scene concept without having it explained. Everything seems like it's different styles (flat colour, dithered, random circles...) and the "ropes" dont look like ropes, or even like they're connected. my 2c

@cellusious: I didn't "invent" the colours, just found them within RGB Smiley its the KAG palette.

@lizard: the slash needs more "oomph" still, making it slow makes it feel heavy but also like it's not gonna hurt anything.

this is imo too grainy but gets what i mean by "fast and heavy" across - more like a th-WACK than "swoosh"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:58:26 AM by Geti » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22841 on: May 23, 2013, 02:13:43 AM »

What do.

No [ center ]

Also, not a fan of your grass. The tree looks great, while the grass is lacking; Also what is the bat throwing a shadow unto? :1

I'm trying to give a sense of a fake, man made world. Like everything is a set piece, you can see the clouds are hanging from ropes. The bat is supposed to be casting a shadow against a backdrop. I tried making the clouds do it as well but it was either too subtle to see or too present and messed with the composition.

Sorry.

Your style choices has to be consistent to make it appear like something instead of collaboration of different stuff clashed together. Why is there things in the far background if it's flat, if the lightsource is on the lower right side, why isn't there shadow from the three, the grass and the clouds.  

It looks cool, but it doesn't emerge me into some kind of setting nor world.

Shame.

Yeah, you have a totally awesome aesthetic, and I envy your ability to create an image that tasty to the eyes. Especially the vibrant dark blue against the washed out pale blue of the sky is awesome.

However above criticism is valid - while it looks cool it fails to depict the thing you state you want it to depict. What you're trying to do is hard, because of this:

Every picture is fake, as it's not the thing it depicts, but a picture of what it depicts. You want to go one step further and create a picture of a picture, a double fake.

A picture is always rendered in some way, what you might call "art style". A super crude example is that the same character in the same scene could be rendered as pixel art, a manga drawing, a realistic drawing and so on.

When you do a picture of a picture, both pictures have art styles as well, complicating things further. So if what you're drawing is a pixel rendition of a theatre set construction, you need to be very clear on what distortions belong to what level of image within an image. For example the branches of your tree has little spirals on them. Is that stylistic choice belonging to the fake paper world, or is it belonging to the pixel art layer? When people do this thing they tend to make the outermost rendering as realistic as possible. If you make a game that looks like crayon drawings, you try to make it look as realistic as possible. You don't usually make a game that looks like pixelart depicting a crayon drawing.

I think pictures of pictures are very hard, and you need to think long and hard about your consistensy if you want to pull it off. Shadows should be consistent, to begin with - everything needs to leave them and always in the same direction. You can't be too obvious.

Oh, and don't worry that everyone seems critical. It's because you are very good. If you weren't nobody would care.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #22842 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:17 AM »

By all means I appreciate the critique and value all of your opinions, I'm just being an asshole. I'm going to take some steps like adding texture to the backdrop and finding a way to add the illusion of depth the make the platform and clouds stand out more.

You guys caught me with the multiple styles thing though. This is for a commissioned game and the people I'm working for asked to include elements from specific pictures I already shared with all of you. I asked if I could just chop the pictures up and combine them and they said yes, so yay to things being easier on me. Commissioned work is nearly done though so I'll be back to posting the odd shit I usually do.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #22843 on: May 23, 2013, 02:45:58 AM »

Yeah, you have a totally awesome aesthetic, and I envy your ability to create an image that tasty to the eyes. Especially the vibrant dark blue against the washed out pale blue of the sky is awesome.

However above criticism is valid - while it looks cool it fails to depict the thing you state you want it to depict. What you're trying to do is hard, because of this:

Every picture is fake, as it's not the thing it depicts, but a picture of what it depicts. You want to go one step further and create a picture of a picture, a double fake.

A picture is always rendered in some way, what you might call "art style". A super crude example is that the same character in the same scene could be rendered as pixel art, a manga drawing, a realistic drawing and so on.

When you do a picture of a picture, both pictures have art styles as well, complicating things further. So if what you're drawing is a pixel rendition of a theatre set construction, you need to be very clear on what distortions belong to what level of image within an image. For example the branches of your tree has little spirals on them. Is that stylistic choice belonging to the fake paper world, or is it belonging to the pixel art layer? When people do this thing they tend to make the outermost rendering as realistic as possible. If you make a game that looks like crayon drawings, you try to make it look as realistic as possible. You don't usually make a game that looks like pixelart depicting a crayon drawing.

I think pictures of pictures are very hard, and you need to think long and hard about your consistensy if you want to pull it off. Shadows should be consistent, to begin with - everything needs to leave them and always in the same direction. You can't be too obvious.

Oh, and don't worry that everyone seems critical. It's because you are very good. If you weren't nobody would care.

Edit: Other picture was a bit much.

That was amazing, you just blew my mind. Seriously though thank you for this, it brings to light many of the problems I've been facing with the aesthetic I've been shooting for. I appreciate all of your input a lot.  Gentleman

Sorry for the double post.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:54:00 AM by Carrion » Logged

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22844 on: May 23, 2013, 02:51:08 AM »

Spotlights suspended with ropes are also a dead giveaway. Also, add shadow to the clouds that match the bat.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #22845 on: May 23, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »

Spotlights suspended with ropes are also a dead giveaway. Also, add shadow to the clouds that match the bat.

Spotlights are a fantastic idea!

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22846 on: May 23, 2013, 03:44:39 AM »

@Carrion - Looks cool. Smiley

ยจ

Towerfall, which i might have played  Blink

devi ever
« Reply #22847 on: May 23, 2013, 04:09:55 AM »

Towerfall, which i might have played  Blink

What is this?  Link?  Looks very interesting.  Ninja
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22848 on: May 23, 2013, 04:15:55 AM »

^ that is 'fan art'

Game by Matt thorson, alec holowka and the amazing people at miniboss
http://www.towerfall-game.com/

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22849 on: May 23, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »

Working with colors and stuff, since I hadn't tried doing that in a while and I also needed to start getting more work done with this project.

Hey man.

Hey.

Fuck yes.

devi ever
« Reply #22850 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:59 AM »

^ that is 'fan art'

Game by Matt thorson, alec holowka and the amazing people at miniboss
http://www.towerfall-game.com/

Cool.  I definitely enjoy your version a bit more in terms of style.  Looks like it could be a different game entirely.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22851 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:33 AM »

hey guys i would really love some feedback on this mountain top scene here. specifically the trees (which i know im terrible at, can never do good trees... can never get lighting right) and the rocky ground on the right hand side.

ignore the backdrop as thats just placeholder art.

also would love some advice on how to make the grass to the left of the frozen water (also tips on making it look like ice please) a bit more detailed and nicer.

larger: http://i.imgur.com/2P2dL31.gif

thanks guys (:
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22852 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »

I actually quite like the rocky ground.

The best advice I can give you is to reference pictures of trees and rocks, or just examine them while looking for ways you could go about pixeling something similar. The main problems with the tree are the light and the shape.
shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22853 on: May 23, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »

Carrion and Cellusios have a similar style will not be the same person?.
 Tongue

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22854 on: May 23, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »

Carrion and Cellusios have a similar style will not be the same person?.
 Tongue

We got a quite different style and different goals. We both place pixels and place pixels close to each other.

bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22855 on: May 23, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »

I actually quite like the rocky ground.

The best advice I can give you is to reference pictures of trees and rocks, or just examine them while looking for ways you could go about pixeling something similar. The main problems with the tree are the light and the shape.

thanks, i used an example of another pixel art tree for reference. for some reason i can never shade trees quite right even after i picture them in my head or google search them.

thanks for the kind words! means alot coming from someone with such talent!
Blambo
« Reply #22856 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »

Spotlights are a fantastic idea!

Yeah, keep going with that idea. While pixel art can be considered a style that you put a subject through, it's first and foremost a medium. There are plenty of ways to achieve that "stage" look through any medium, as long as it's aesthetically designed well enough to portray the subject.

If you're going to add though spotlights, stylizing them similarly to the backdrops might add to the confusion.
ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22857 on: May 23, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »

He's so cute!  Got any animations of him?

I'm working on a whole lot of action animations like running and jumping and other things for this and another character for a project I'm working on (link in my signature), though it's a bit difficult getting some of the things to look the way I want it to. I took a short break on this project since I was straining myself trying to come up with design ideas, but I'm back on it now.

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22858 on: May 23, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »

Not sure if this is the place for c+c but I'm struggling with walk animations right now

Would love some help

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22859 on: May 23, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »

i think he needs some up and down movement

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1637
Print
Jump to: