Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:22:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7237340 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26760 on: May 12, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »

But she has hands. If you want to allude to high heels or smth you still need a bit of foot there imo, otherwise its just a weird stylistic inconsistency.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26761 on: May 13, 2014, 01:09:58 AM »

Some junk I did for practice. I was using Minish Cap graphics for reference because that game had really tasty pixel art.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26762 on: May 13, 2014, 03:27:14 AM »

It shows, but in a good way. The little tiles seem out of place stylistically though.

GlaDOSik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26763 on: May 13, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »

Good points. The sword and legs needs a bit work.
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26764 on: May 13, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »

Some junk I did for practice. I was using Minish Cap graphics for reference because that game had really tasty pixel art.

I do recommend try selouting? Smiley

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26765 on: May 13, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

selout is a deprecated dumb practice and the people who made those old tutorials (tsugumo, blumunkee) saying it's a cool thing to do have all admitted as much.

if you just mean coloured outlines then don't mind me

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26766 on: May 13, 2014, 08:45:15 AM »

I love all the sprites on their own, but when taken together it feels like the house, the bushes and the well have inconsistent overhead perspective.
skittlefuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26767 on: May 13, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »

How do I make these not shit?

Hello!

I think the main reason is that it's not finished yet. All you have is a purple blob, but there is no light source, the light source is what can give it all the details. Here's a little tut I made quickly which may or may not be useful.

First off, working with a plain white background may be a bad idea. Pick a colour that makes you more comfortable or one that coincides with the topic of what you are working on. In this case we are picking blue since it's a calming colour imho.

1. You start with your simple shape that defines what the character will be (a slime?). The colours have been changed only since I find working with green is easier than purple.

2: You imagine where the light will be coming from so that you can add detail.

3. You can change the eyes and make them bigger so that you can add pupils (or something of that sort). The pupils can give more character imho. You can also add a "middle green", that green can act as a buffer colour (AA) to give the shadow a softer feel. Some people might disregard the buffer colours since for some cases a sprite may look better if you can clearly see the pixels, which in this case the buffer colour does not do. Also, rounding the corners of the slime can make things more pleasant on the viewers eye as opposed to a sharp diagnosed line of pixels (I guess that's just the opinion of the artist's style).

4. You can give him an outline, this doesn't necessarily need to be done but if he will be in a game it is usually best to give him something so that he will not blend. I guess it also depends on the artist's style too. You can add a spot of light to show where the light is hitting directly off of, it sorta makes the character "pop" in a weird way.

5. Since he's a slime (I'm just assuming that Tongue) the light should reflect through a bit of his body which causes a pinpoint of light to appear on the bottom left corner, you can also add a second light source in the sense that light is hitting his back. I find that it can add a really cool affect that makes things more lively instead of having one light source which can be in some cases a bit boring.

6: Lighten up the right side of the outline. Since the lightsource is hitting there it will look more pleasing on the eye and make a feeling of completeness in the sense that the light is affecting everything accordingly, including the outline. You can also add some pixels by his eyes, I have no clue what to explain that as.

I have no clue how to write tutorials and this was rather rushed, so sorry if something does not make sense! The most important thing is the light source, once you have that details will be easier to imagine imo.

I do hope this does help, or at least sheds some light on some things that could always to be used to improve your sprites.

Really sorry if some of the things I say don't make sense or are written in a weird way!

EDIT: and perhaps it may have been silly to make it a slime, I have no clue what it is supposed to be besides a blob of sorts. There are also multiple ways to do this with people who are much more qualified to say what should be fixed or not.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:54:48 AM by skittlefuck » Logged

Zanhuf
« Reply #26768 on: May 13, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »

Apologies for spending so much time on such a simple thing such as bases, just want to get them as good as possible.

Here they are now:

I also just wanted to take the time to show how far i've come with one example of my progression:

letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26769 on: May 13, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »

Trying something (perhaps briefly) to speed things up and make it more readable. Lost a buncha work recently. Concerned

Some other stuff I made for a jam that I didn't get to finish cuz I started eight hours before entrant deadline. Durr...?

poe
« Reply #26770 on: May 13, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »

snip

Thanks for all the advice, I'll try and make not shit now!
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26771 on: May 13, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »

i'm alive

omg you're alive! welcome back!

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26772 on: May 13, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »

I dunno what that is, even after searching it. Shrug

I have considered doing lightsource-based outlines though. So maybe I'll try that out.

I love all the sprites on their own, but when taken together it feels like the house, the bushes and the well have inconsistent overhead perspective.
Completely agree. I noticed that the well was more sideview than the house right after I made it.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Much appreciated.

Also skittlefuck's advice to poe is fantastic.

Jrap
Level 0

Always be the best dressed in the room.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26773 on: May 13, 2014, 11:03:13 PM »

PK: “I think that term is a whole bunch of bullshit and I’m not going to apologize for standing up for people”

ZQ: “If people really wanted to make fun of people for caring about social issues, coming up with a less metal-sounding word would have been better”

ghoulkid86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26774 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »

These! These are so good! So stylish.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26775 on: May 14, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »

It means you do outlines as if you're anti-aliasing against a dark background, which only makes sense if your sprites will always be against a dark background.
It became A Thing because some people a decade ago found that oh Street Fighter Alpha sprites do this so it must be good practice! but it actually looks really dumb.

Here's an illustration

selout on the left and regular coloured outlines on the right
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:24:14 AM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Alicecomma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26776 on: May 14, 2014, 07:16:03 AM »

An early WIP on a sci-fi scene:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26777 on: May 14, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »

Trying something (perhaps briefly) to speed things up and make it more readable. Lost a buncha work recently. Concerned

Sorry you lost work - that's never fun. I don't like the black outline over everything because of the small size of the characters - the masked guy on the left looks pretty solid, though. Nice portrait and ships!

@Schoq - A bit tough to see the effect, but I think I see it.

@Alice - Nice work on the rocks so far.

Ashkin
« Reply #26778 on: May 14, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »

It means you do outlines as if you're anti-aliasing against a dark background, which only makes sense if your sprites will always be against a dark background.
It became A Thing because some people a decade ago found that oh Street Fighter Alpha sprites do this so it must be good practice! but it actually looks really dumb.
I'm still not sure that selout is completely useless- the best example of it that i've seen is arne's smb work:
skittlefuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26779 on: May 14, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »

@Ashkin
I don't think that is sel-out, that's more like light based outline in a really weird way. All the outlines disappear somewhere near the front of the face, sel-out would be more like . Or at least something along the lines of that (I might be wrong).

Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic