Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:56:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7281124 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27880 on: September 04, 2014, 04:18:41 AM »

Thanks Ben, beetleking Smiley

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27881 on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »

(related to above)
Had a lot of fun with this one Smiley

looks good :3

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27882 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »

#robotic comp is over, here are the winners. I can see I may need some more judges, I had a really tough time selecting between 3 finalists, including yours, GetiMax.

Robotwo
Level 2

I'm a complicated being after all

View Profile
« Reply #27883 on: September 04, 2014, 06:49:58 PM »

Sorry to pull this one up out of nowhere. But the amazing contrasts in this pic just caught my eye.
And upon further inspection I noticed that OMG YOU USED THE SMS PALETTE :D

Really amazing stuff, love it  Kiss

What we are is simply a stepping stone to what we can become
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27884 on: September 04, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »

Pointless babbling ahead: I've always been awful at any form of art. In high school I tried to draw a stick man and ended up with one leg longer than the other and an oblong head. Being an indie dev with no pixel art skills can be hard though when I want to do a little side-project game and no artist for it. So, I've decided its time I learn. I spent a long time on this so hopefully its at least okay. Here's a cow's face:

He's upset that I put him on a pink background.
If anyone has criticism or tips, I'd love the advice.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:12:45 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27885 on: September 04, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

different view/sprite of the airship I've been working on for my game. How does this look?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:02:52 PM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27886 on: September 04, 2014, 10:12:59 PM »

No worries on not selecting mine Ben, as I mentioned to skittlefuck on dA I really don't have time to play prizes at the moment Wink Was enjoyable to take part in it, nothing quite like pixel robots.

@Thomas: your contrast is really lacking here; i feel like you could have left out the shading completely and the image would be more or less equivalent; you're also not really shading the forms of what you're trying to draw - this would be fine if you _were_ going for flat colour but considering you've got the shades there, I'd say you want to do some lighting studies. render things like spheres, cubes, cylinders for various materials to get a feel for how each lights and how to preserve material identity - and definitely don't work on that type of lurid pink! a middle grey with a slight tinge of whatever colour your environment will be will give a much better working background to keep your colours in line (see Rakugaki's piece above, or even mine; though I worked on a pure middle grey for that)

Edit:

- shading moves more than 10 rgb values per step Wink
- shading focusses on form, not on pixel clusters - you should be shading the actual object, not your separate "colours"; the shading coming down into the top of the nose should be quite smooth, compared to the sides where there is more of a physical separation between textures and forms.
- shading cross-ramp - mixing some of the brown in with the white helps things like fur feel more homologous; on the same animal this helps it feel less like a patchwork and more like an actual animal.
- shading uses hue shifting; as it gets darker, tend towards cooler colours, as it gets lighter, tend towards warmer; this is a common trick in both painting and art to help convey a warmer feel to the piece; if you want cold lighting you can try the opposite (and keep the darks even more desaturated)
- added ears; turns out cows have those!
- modified horns to be lighter; couldn't find any cows with this fur colouring that had very dark horns. They could probably be even lighter.
- added more "realistic" mouth structure; from ref looks like cow mouths are pretty well separated into 2 "bits", the nose and the bottom lip. shading around this divide ensures that the forms remain separated.

MAIN TIP - Get reference: one thing I noticed is that various parts of your cow face don't actually look like an actual cow's face. I mostly used this for my edit, among other google image results for "cow with horns".

hope this isn't overwhelming!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27887 on: September 04, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »

That looks amazing! Thank your for all your tips and advice! Tomorrow I'll probably try to redraw the cow and do a slightly better job with your advice! Smiley

I'd like to say in my defense though, I tried to draw ears on my cow and they just looked awful so I decided my cow wouldn't have ears.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27888 on: September 04, 2014, 11:23:55 PM »

Great edit geti Smiley

Thomas - I suggest to go as minimal as you can, especially if you just want to get a nice easy style that you can use in your own games. Reduce the number of colours, avoid lighting if you can, and use a tried and true palette (e.g., Arne's). Here's my 4 colour version, moo!

Also check out people like Loren Schmidt, he does a good job with quite a minimal style.. e.g.,

Even Geti's new project has minimal gfx.

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27889 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »

surt i love everything you post

Conker534
« Reply #27890 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »

How does this look?

Fantastic as always, I love your work. Ugh I'm so hyped for your game.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27891 on: September 05, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »

Thomas - I suggest to go as minimal as you can, especially if you just want to get a nice easy style that you can use in your own games. Reduce the number of colours, avoid lighting if you can, and use a tried and true palette (e.g.,

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll try a super minimal version and a super shaded version.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27892 on: September 05, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »

I'd like to say in my defense though, I tried to draw ears on my cow and they just looked awful so I decided my cow wouldn't have ears.
Haha I didn't mean anything by it, just took me a little while to figure out why the head shape was looking wrong. Fwiw if you've got reference you should have a kind of template for most of your shapes; draw what you see, not what you think you see and you'll be sweet. Keen to see your next attempt, welcome to the field.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #27893 on: September 05, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »

More of the same:

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27894 on: September 05, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »

Haha I didn't mean anything by it, just took me a little while to figure out why the head shape was looking wrong. Fwiw if you've got reference you should have a kind of template for most of your shapes; draw what you see, not what you think you see and you'll be sweet. Keen to see your next attempt, welcome to the field.

Thanks! Smiley Didn't get a chance to do anything today, but here is some pixel art from Ethereal! :D

Work in Progress Cemetery Background (Click for full resolution)

Final Layer of Cemetery Background (Work in Progress)

Worry (Bounce Animation)

Worry (Idle Animation)

ink.inc
« Reply #27895 on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »

very expressive!
Paleskins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27896 on: September 06, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »

Wizard Wizard Wizard
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27897 on: September 06, 2014, 04:17:30 AM »

You are indeed a Wizard!!  Kiss
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27898 on: September 06, 2014, 04:18:58 AM »

Seriously...That palette is so damn good.

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27899 on: September 06, 2014, 06:34:20 AM »

Wizard Wizard Wizard

That is some beautiful use of colors!!

Which is better, rounded shoulders or not?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:03:49 AM by Medevenx » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic