Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:02:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1398 1399 [1400] 1401 1402 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7237842 times)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27980 on: September 13, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »

holy mother of god this is amazing. i think the aura around the moon goes a little against the entire piece's "not made of pixels" feel.

Haha, I'm glad you like it so much. I didn't realize the piece had a 'not made of pixels' feel. I'll pass that on to my artist.

Also, Thomas, that's really well done! I love the colors.

Thank you!

jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27981 on: September 13, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »

EDIT:Did a design change, is it better?

->

What words do you want the viewer to think when they look at the character?

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27982 on: September 13, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »

Strong (good kind of strong, not evil) and Determined

jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27983 on: September 13, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »

Strong (good kind of strong, not evil) and Determined

First one. 2nd looks like you tried to give her a sexy makeover with the extra skin showing and it's clashing with her personality. The closed jacket also gives off a constrained feeling that dampens the self assured, confident look of an open jacket.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27984 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »

I was going to say that I don't see a 'sexy makeover', but then I saw the slight panel taken out of her shirt on the left, which is kinda weird. Perhaps you could give a bit of thought to what kind of hero it's supposed to be, or what kind of time / world she lives in (the future, the past, the present, etc). As for the actual technique, I think the shadowed color's too dark in the new one, and you might want to reposition the back arm to be either in front of or completely obscured by the hero's body.

The main thing is, I think it might be a good idea to give her a more strong, heroic pose. Standing like that doesn't feel very confident, just kind of "normal". See Azure Striker Gunvolt (link because it was harder than I anticipated to find a normal game screenshot) or the Megaman ZX / X / Battle Network series for good standing Hero poses (in my opinion). Of course, those are all similar, standing gunman kinds of poses, but they're good examples of confident, strong heroes.

EDIT: Oh, and that's really awesome work, Rakugaki. Great portraits.

Also, great style and tiles and stuff, surt. You're really rocking that palette excellently. Are all of these sprites and tiles you do for any game projects in particular?

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27985 on: September 13, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »

@Medevenx: edit, hope it helps.
Thinks more about what each bit conveys instead of just noodling in a canvas - dont be afraid to nuke and redraw (I nuked all the hair, arms, a lot of the center stuff and draw w/ yours as colour ref but not there to copypaste).

Biggest things to work on are attitude and intent, as solarlune hints. I also feel like the haircut you have going there doesn't make much sense A) without a bunch of specific cuts and styling to make it sit there (particularly the fringe) and B) theres no way to put that fringe that it wont be poking you in the eyes while you move. No wonder she's cross-eyed.

Minor things would be to avoid too much straight pixel stuff (like the bands on the gloves).

Definitely avoid things like boob/thigh windows in clothes imo

Megaman as ref can be a bit anime-y but I expect you dont have much of a problem with that, haha. Lots of swooshy run anim stuff but the game does look good and cohesive so whatever.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27986 on: September 13, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »

Ha Raku, great portraits. Gorgeous is totally Majin Buu, I love it.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27987 on: September 14, 2014, 01:50:10 AM »

Recovered a bunch of old sprites so I may as well share them:

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27988 on: September 14, 2014, 02:17:26 AM »

Thanks eigenbom (and Solarlune and Conker)! If you liked those, here's the actual sprites of the characters.

Each of them represents one of the ten attributes/weapons in the game.

Alex Christin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27989 on: September 14, 2014, 03:09:05 AM »

From a game I've been pretty hooked to called Dengeki Stryker ahaha.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27990 on: September 14, 2014, 03:38:51 AM »

I like the colors you used! The scarf really "pops"

CyangmouArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27991 on: September 14, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »

next sprite, 57 colors =)

actually I don't want to spam the thread here with the description, but if you are interested you can read it at
Deviantart
There is also a WIP-gif.

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27992 on: September 14, 2014, 08:06:41 AM »

jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27993 on: September 14, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »

I was going to say that I don't see a 'sexy makeover', but then I saw the slight panel taken out of her shirt on the left, which is kinda weird. Perhaps you could give a bit of thought to what kind of hero it's supposed to be, or what kind of time / world she lives in (the future, the past, the present, etc). As for the actual technique, I think the shadowed color's too dark in the new one, and you might want to reposition the back arm to be either in front of or completely obscured by the hero's body.

The main thing is, I think it might be a good idea to give her a more strong, heroic pose. Standing like that doesn't feel very confident, just kind of "normal". See Azure Striker Gunvolt (link because it was harder than I anticipated to find a normal game screenshot) or the Megaman ZX / X / Battle Network series for good standing Hero poses (in my opinion). Of course, those are all similar, standing gunman kinds of poses, but they're good examples of confident, strong heroes.

I think these kinds of poses convey determined well, but also defensive. I also think it's a situational pose. It suits people who are outnumbered against a lot of enemies or expecting danger. The front hand say "hey, back off" it's also range finding danger. Back hand say "if you don't back off, i'm going to hit you." I think a vanilla confident pose is a straight back, good posture. You're more likely to encounter that in every day situations. People will try to make themselves as tall and as big as possible but not over exaggerated or over expressive.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27994 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »

next sprite, 57 colors =)

actually I don't want to spam the thread here with the description, but if you are interested you can read it at
Deviantart
There is also a WIP-gif.

That's really good! Smiley
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27995 on: September 14, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »

CyangmouArt@ you are a champ. great efficient metal colors, lovely sense of form.

This is a paintover of a paintover.

@Geti I like most of the text your medevenx edit, and your costume choices, but your edit was completely irrelevant stylistically.

"What you need to do is make her arms twice the length of her body, pillowshade all her clothes, and change her hairstyle and facial structure arbitrarily to one in an entirely different style"

(original | origial -> geti | geti-> catguy)

I did a quick/dirty edit to bring it in line with medevenx's stylization, while still keeping (most of) the proportion changes and costume changes you implemented.

So let's go over the changes 1 by 1.

a- You have to have a dorky, cut at the farm bob in order to be a strong woman now? holy shit. That is heartbreakingly regressive (and ugly) + It's an anime hairstyle anyway, graphic design > weight and structure. On the face: lack of shading in her eye and 1px eyeshadow have completely changed the intent of the character and look blah. We can go with the more plausible anatomy and less crosseyed look while retaining the original design choices.

b- the gloves are her definining characteristic, put them back. On gloves: I think your edit may actually have more skin showing than the original. Why are her arms bare, save for fingerless gloves?

c- Geti what is with those highlights are you insane. On color: I admire how much you re-used that one brown tone from skin shadowing, to clothing shading, but it's loaded up a bit too heavy I think -- presents weird clustering issues with the far arm. nuked. Still on color: why is her shirt shading just another near black? We dont need two different blacks.

d- a fucking sword? we have to add a giant sword to show intent? "This is swordgirl, she sword". Yuck. Subtlety is grace.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:21:26 AM by Catguy » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27996 on: September 14, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »

its a knife, joe. for fucks sake.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27997 on: September 14, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »

i dont think knives can have crossguards. worst case: it's a dagger

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27998 on: September 14, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »

I love Medevenx's original version better than both your edits, hahaha.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27999 on: September 14, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »

I love Medevenx's original version better than both your edits, hahaha.

yeah his original is good

Pages: 1 ... 1398 1399 [1400] 1401 1402 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic